Makers of Elmiron

I would like to know who is the maker of Elmiron.
    Can more then one drug company make this?
    I know it is not in generic yet. Has I know of.
    Could someone help me.
    I have been getting it form Canada (janssen-ortho) for over 2 years now.
    But I had heard that It is also made my a company in austrilla (sp) arthropharm,, A lot cheeper then in the U>S> and cheeper than Canada...

The price of this is crazy.
    Becky E>

The option to make a generic is available, unfortunately it seems that there just aren't enough of us to make it cost effective for any companies to manufacture one. Cystoprotek is similar in the natural form but it isn't anymore cost effective usually. I find that if I get it through my insurance's mail order program I pay $100 for a three month supply saving me $50.

Maybe someone else can comment on the Australia question.

Sandra
    Link to the patient information, everything from What is IC? to Disability
    http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

American Urological Association Clinical Guideline
    Diagnosis and Treatment of Intersitial Cysitis/Painful Bladder Syndrom
    http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf

ICN Member

australian elmiron

I'm taking that too by arthropharm in Australia. I just had a bad flare. I am going to compare my old real Elmiron by taking it out of the capsule and tasting it to see if it is really the same. I would like to contact the maker of Elmiron and see if they licensed the australian company to make it exactly the same. I don't understand if there is no generic, then how can another company make it. And this company does not even say it is for IC, as they have a site that says it has potential for arthritis and then they also make drugs for animals. Maybe they can not advertise it for IC? Not sure how this works. I order it from a Canadian phamacy. 300 pills was $495.
    42 years IC. 2013 tried liposome instillations at California Stem Cell TC and the pain I guess from the catheter was too much. I tried 3 times. I am going to stick with trying a few old medications for now - hyomax and try vaginal valium. I still think herbs are so much safer than drugs.(I took an overview course a few years ago.) But there is so much little research on herbal remedies for this complex disease and people in pain need help as soon as possible, therefore RX drugs are necessary. I myself was trying elmiron (after cystoprotek and aloe vera did not seem to coat the bladder for me) Back to herbs, if you think that your IC is caused by histamines and allergies, etc, there are many researched herbs and herb formulas for that type of thing so perhaps that may be a path for you. But since IC is so complex, those herbs may not help. Perhaps if you think you are getting infections, there may be herbs that could deal with chronic, drug resistance problems but you would need some professional guidence. I believe I keep inflammation down by taking cucurmin extract, and other anti-inflammatory herbs - there are many good ones. You SHOULD find some that agree with you and your medication protocol if possible.

Purpleviolet,
    There is a possibility that the new version you are taking might have some different fillers that could possibly cause you problems. The sole rights have expired for Elmiron, it's just that no company has chosen to produce a generic version. I can only assume that it just isn't cost effective for them to do so, the bottom line is that pharmaceutical companies are businesses and concerned for their bottom line! As much as we would like for them to do so out of compassion, I don't see it happening.

I am curious to know if the high cost is due to lack of competition or cost of ingredients and manufacturing. I can't imagine what could cause medications to cost as much as they do other than the fact that they can charge what they do because we are stuck. They also use the reason that in the US we are paying for the research on the meds as well, who knows how accurate that is though.
    Link to the patient information, everything from What is IC? to Disability
    http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

American Urological Association Clinical Guideline
    Diagnosis and Treatment of Intersitial Cysitis/Painful Bladder Syndrom
    http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf

There are a lot more expensive meds than Elmiron. Abilify is $400-500+ for 30 depending on the strength and it's a pretty popular med (ads all over TV and magazines...) I think they just charge as much as they think they can get away with. There's no other oral med if IC, so they know they can charge a lot and people will still use it.
    ~Ashley

(LithEruiel is my name in Elvish...sort of.)

28 year old RN with IC September 2008. Diagnosed with PFD at some point later!

Current treatments/meds:
    Elmiron 100mg 3x a day
    Zanaflex 2 mg once a day
    Zantac 150 mg once a day
    Continuous birth control
    Diflucan 100mg or 150mg way too often for a normal human being
    Symicort & Pro-Air for asthma
    Synthroid 0.25 mcg for hypothyroid
    Physical Therapy

Failed:
    Ditropan, Vesicare, Gelnique, Urispas, Benadryl, Hydroxyzine, Cystoprotek, Cysta-Q

Quote Originally Posted by purpleviolet View Post
    I'm taking that too by arthropharm in Australia.
    How do you get it? Apparently we need some other alternative to Elmiron with it not being available right now. Isn't there one from Italy too?
    ~Ashley

(LithEruiel is my name in Elvish...sort of.)

28 year old RN with IC September 2008. Diagnosed with PFD at some point later!

Current treatments/meds:
    Elmiron 100mg 3x a day
    Zanaflex 2 mg once a day
    Zantac 150 mg once a day
    Continuous birth control
    Diflucan 100mg or 150mg way too often for a normal human being
    Symicort & Pro-Air for asthma
    Synthroid 0.25 mcg for hypothyroid
    Physical Therapy

Failed:
    Ditropan, Vesicare, Gelnique, Urispas, Benadryl, Hydroxyzine, Cystoprotek, Cysta-Q

Thread Information