Latest Blog Article: Summer 2014 IC Optimist Now Available

Question Urodynamics Testing Ordered - Is It Painful

Hi everyone. My new uro has ordered urodynamics testing for this coming Wednesday, the 26th of May. I know what the tests consist of and if it wasn't for the rectum catheter I'd probably be alright with it. Is this whole procedure uncomfortable or painful? I'm really apprehensive about all of this - the new uro thinks this is necessary because of my occasional bouts of urinary retention he seems to think this may explain something.

If anyone has gone through this, I would be really interested to hear how it all worked out and if it is painful. It's okay to be honest because then I'll know what to expect.

Is it wise to use a laxative prior to? When the first uro ordered these tests and I objected - they gave me a long list of instructions but then I never went through with the testing. Those instructions said to use an enema or laxative the day prior.

Has anyone gone through this to answer all my stupid questions? I sure hope someone will answer this post. :butterfly
    Love from far away,
    Tracy K

Current & Past Health Diagnosis(s)
    Currently suffering from 2nd Bladder Prolapse
    Interstitial Cystitis- March 2004
    Fibromyalgia 2004
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome 2005
    Severe Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
    Irritable Bowel Syndrome
    Tension & Migraine Headaches
    Chronic/Severe Urinary Retention
    Numerous Endometriosis/Adhesions Removal Surgeries
    Pelvic Organ Prolapses (Uterus/Vaginal Walls, Bladder, & Rectum)
    Partial Hysterectomy 1997
    Ovaries Removed due to large cysts 1998
    Chronic UTI's (ongoing)
    Medtronic Interstim Unit removed after 5 months due to severe infection and unit was floating around in my lower back 2004

Never be ashamed to ask for help when you need it.

God will never give me more than I can handle, but sometimes I wonder if he lost track of what's he's dealt out here ???? I'm trying here

tracey i havent never had these test your talking about it dont sound nice but maybe its okay. I pray everything goes well for you and i'm sure someone will be alone soon that has had it and can help you.

never think a question is stupid hon we have to ask if not we would never learn.

Lord knows if my doctor order these test i would be asking too matter of fact any test my doctor orders that i have never had done I will asked all type of question about it just like now i'm trying to learn all i can about cystitis glandularis.

sending you hugs and prayers please let us know how your test go.
    Rhonda
    Medicine taken daily or as needed:
    1. Heaprin and Marcaine rescue installment 1 to 3x daily as needed.
    2. MS.Cotin 100mg 3x daily
    3. MSIR 30mg 1 or 2 every 4-6hrs as needed for breakthrew pain.
    4. Fentanyl 100 mg Change every 48hrs.
    5. Gentamicin 80mg install after each rescue treatment
    5 Leviquin 500mg self start as needed.
    6. Klonopin 1 or 2 daily as needed.
    7. Prosed/DS as 1 every 6hrs as needed.

I have IC, but IC doesn't have me anymore!

URODYNAMICS TEST

IBTRACY, I HAD IT DONE .IT WASN'T TO BAD AS FAR AS I CAN REMEMBER. IT'S BEEN YRS AGO. Y THE TEST I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY WERE LOOKING FOR. LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES. I DO THINK IT MIGHT BE TO SEE HOW BAD THE IC IS. KEEP US ALL INFORMED. GOOD LUCK .BLUEBLONDIE1121:butterfly

Hi there! Yes, I 've had the urodynamics. I would say it's more uncomfortable then anything. I believe I had to take a Fleet Enema about 2 hours before the test. The catheter hurt when they first put it in, but it was also the first one I've ever had. Once it was in, it wasn't bad. The rectal probe I was worried about and to be honest that was the least painful/uncomfortable part of the whole test. The test itself was not really long and was much better then I had imagined.

Once they get you hooked up, it's really not that long. When you're done they unhook everything and then you have to pee in a toilet seat thing that's hooked up to an instrument that measures your flow and such. That was kind of an uncomfortable moment because the tech was in the room and it's not a real toilet and she gave me Kleenex to wipe with. The other part that was weird was the fluid they put in my bladder was cold and when you pee it comes out cold - which feels so strange. All in all it wasn't bad. I would be sure to get some pyridium plus to take if you need it . I had really bad burning for about 2 days afterwards and they said that was normal. The worst part of the whole test is was you imagine it to be. I think what we imagine is far worse then the real thing.

Good Luck with the test and let us know how it goes.

Take Care!
    Jennifer

I would agree....uncomfortable yes....slightly painful maybe for a short period of time but not too bad overall.

hugs
    Faith, Hope, and Love,
    Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back! My hope story http://www.ic-network.com/patientstories/katrina.html
    http://mandksales.net
    IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/kat671?ref=profile
    Be the Miracle! & Pay it Forward!

carmelann@charter.net please contact me...I am here to help!http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ICinWI/ if your from WI please contact me!

For me it was bad. But I believe that is because the techinician didn't use any lubrication or lidocaine, the catheter was too large for me and it was forced in. This procedure was done by The Cleveland Clinic, and if the moderator needs to edit and take that part out of my post, that's fine, but I really think others should know how I was treated. This still upsets me and one of the reasons I found another urologist outside CC.

Thread Information