Latest Blog Article: Summer 2014 IC Optimist Now Available
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My pee is hot!

My pee is hot!

I am flaring as of yesterday with frequent urination and pelvic and lower back pain. And my pee is hot. Not in a burning my urethra type of way but I would swear it's a higher temp as it runs out. I am thinking of peeing in a cup and sticking a thermometer in it to compare the temp to when I'm not flaring just cause I think this is the strangest thing.
    The combo of things that brought me out of remission were artificial sweetners, liquid vitamins with citric acid, tight pants, lower body workouts and stopping all my allergy meds cold turkey during height of allergy season. I wish I knew back then what I know now about IC
    First IC symptoms Spring of 2000; In-office cystoscopy 2002 -negative; Remission until 2007 (yeah!!); Negative PST spring of 2007; IC diagnosed via Cystoscopy and Hydrodistention 7/24/07; Another In-office cystoscopy 4/9/10 with biopsy showed inflammation
    Treatments for my IC/PFD: Elmiron 400 mg per day; walking, Zyrtec, Claritin, Singulair, Neurontin 100 mg per day; Ice packs and laying down; About to try Cytotec
    Tried and Failed: Heat (always makes me worse!), Heparin instills -too painful for my urethra; Atarax (interfered with my quality of sleep first time, second time dried my bladder out; Elavil makes me sick, lidocaine patches (just plain don't work), Cystoprotek (only tried a couple months but didn't seem to do much), Aloe Vera caps, pelvic floor therapy, trigger point work flared me worse, Lyrica (bad stomach pain)
    Other Diagnoses: PFD 2009; Fibromyalgia 2006, Osteopenia 2012, GERD 2006, Gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying) Anxiety: Other medications: Ambien, Dexilant, Ibuprofren, Necon 1/35, Voltaren gel for tailbone
    BABY GIRL 10/28/08 *** BABY BOY 7/8/11

I have seen others report this when they are having a flare. I think I have noticed the same thing a time or two also. Not sure why it happens, I haven't seen anyone say that they found anything negative from it. You might want to make sure you don't have an infection though.

Sandra

Here is a little experiment you could try, (If you don't have high blood pressure that is). Try doing the 1/2tsp baking soda in water, see if that gets rid of the hot feeling. If it does then that would indicate your urine is very acidic and it might help your flare too!Also if it works you could use calcium/tums/prelief to get your urine to a more neutral state which would probably help relieve your symptoms all around. I just mention the others because I can't stand the baking soda in water!
    Cindi

Gelnique for frequency/urgency - works great
    Macrobid after sex
    Prilosec, continuous birth control pills
    synthroid .088mg, mucinex-d, restasis

Supplements: Desert Harvest Aloe vera, Cysta-q, prelief, magnesium and calcium, Vit D, flaxseed oil

Diag Mild IC Jan 11 but have had symptoms for 25 years. Also have GERD, TMJ, IBS-C, chronic dry eye syndrome, hashimotos thyroiditis, non-allergic rhinitis.

IC Diet Link: http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf
    AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC overview- http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?p=571592
    AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC PDF: http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf
    Great treatment flowchart on page 19 of the pdf

Yeah I've heard of others reporting it too.. I just am so tripped out by it everytime it happens. I can literally feel it's like hot tub water running over my lady bits. I took Tums the night before it happened actually and I take a sodium bicarb pill for heartburn everyday. My guess is I just did too much yesterday (cleaning and bending) along with a bit too much chocolate. Diet helps me but activity is what seems to put me over the edge. I wish I knew how to fix it. I've also got allergy season just starting here which seems to flare up my IC overnight every single year despite the urologist finding no mast cells in my bladder. I've tried PT which only makes it worse. Elmiron is my saving grace but doesn't stop the flares from happening from activity. My next step is Lyrica. My uro wanted me to try it last year but I wanted one more baby first and I'm due in June so just hoping I can survive the next few months and then I guess I'll have to wait until I'm done breastfeeding too. Right now I just have to lay down with my ice pack (baby kicks when I do this) and if it gets super bad I'll take half a Vicodin.
    The combo of things that brought me out of remission were artificial sweetners, liquid vitamins with citric acid, tight pants, lower body workouts and stopping all my allergy meds cold turkey during height of allergy season. I wish I knew back then what I know now about IC
    First IC symptoms Spring of 2000; In-office cystoscopy 2002 -negative; Remission until 2007 (yeah!!); Negative PST spring of 2007; IC diagnosed via Cystoscopy and Hydrodistention 7/24/07; Another In-office cystoscopy 4/9/10 with biopsy showed inflammation
    Treatments for my IC/PFD: Elmiron 400 mg per day; walking, Zyrtec, Claritin, Singulair, Neurontin 100 mg per day; Ice packs and laying down; About to try Cytotec
    Tried and Failed: Heat (always makes me worse!), Heparin instills -too painful for my urethra; Atarax (interfered with my quality of sleep first time, second time dried my bladder out; Elavil makes me sick, lidocaine patches (just plain don't work), Cystoprotek (only tried a couple months but didn't seem to do much), Aloe Vera caps, pelvic floor therapy, trigger point work flared me worse, Lyrica (bad stomach pain)
    Other Diagnoses: PFD 2009; Fibromyalgia 2006, Osteopenia 2012, GERD 2006, Gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying) Anxiety: Other medications: Ambien, Dexilant, Ibuprofren, Necon 1/35, Voltaren gel for tailbone

Hi Charisse,
    when I flare it feels like hot acid to me! I was told to lay heavily on the bottled water to try and rinse the bladder out or dilute the acidity.

Good Luck!
    Aleet7
    DX'd with IC 5/08
    other Dx's~SVT: had Catheter
    Catheter Ablation Aug 19,2010
    Migraines, PFD, Hypertension,
    Prolapsed Pelvic
    Organs and Degenerative Disc
    Disease, Kidney stones, Insomnia
    Two bulging discs w/tears and osteo
    arthritis in multiple joints in the spine

Current Meds:Elmiron 400 mg per day
    Benicar Hct 40-25mg for Hypertension
    Norvasc 2.5
    Vicoden as needed for pain
    Cymbalta 30 mg
    Prelief
    CystaQ
    Prosed
    Lidoderm Patch

Psalm 121
    I will lift up my eyes to the hills from whence comes my help? My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth.

"Be Kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

I have this when I put an ice pack against my urethra. For me I'm sure that's what it is, just the change in temp. Because even when I'm in a lot of pain it doesn't feel any hotter if I'm not using an icepack.

You could check the temp when it feels hotter and then when it doesn't. Let us know what you find out.
    Katie-46 yr old female dx'd with IC after 15 years of symptoms off and on long term antibiotic use, GERD,IBS and now IC diet, gallbladder removed, endometrial ablation w/tubes tied
    Lexapro-20 mg
    Aciphex
    Ambien-as needed
    Percocet-7.5 up to 3 per day as needed
    Valium-10 mg x2 per day
    Phenergan-1 at night
    Prelief w/everything
    Now recovering from acute pancreatitis

Currents treatments that help somewhat:
    Heating pad
    Hot baths
    Ice
    Being VERY still while lying down with legs elevated

ICN Member
    YES!!! It's so funny, I was just thinking out this the other day. This actually only happened to me when my IC first hit. My urine was actually HOT! ( i could feel the heat radiating off it when I put my hand above the water). I told my uro at the time, but he just dismissed it. (But he was not an ic expert). I believe it was that my bladder was so inflammed it was hot & heating up my urine! I have not had that in a long time. Knock on wood, the Elmiron has helped my bladder, now I just deal with a burning urethra all the time-ugh! Try drinking the baking soda in water. I know it's gross, but it should help calm your bladder down.
    MelindaP

I usually only have this symptom when I get get that when I have an infection. I think it would be a good idea for to br checked for a uti just be on the safe side.
    Last edited by Bekah79; 03-18-2011 at 04:38 AM.
    Rebekah - Diagnosed with IC and Hunner's Ulcers in March 2009

Two Hunner's Ulcers were removed by laser surgery surgery Jan 15 , 2010

Proud Mother of Jeremy Jr. Born on Wed May 4, 2011

"For every door that is closed a new one is opened"

The Lord's Prayer

Our Father, who art in heaven,
    Hallowed be thy Name.
    Thy kingdom come.
    Thy will be done,
    On earth as it is in heaven.
    Give us this day our daily bread.
    And forgive us our trespasses,
    As we forgive those who trespass against us.
    And lead us not into temptation,
    But deliver us from evil.
    [For thine is the kingdom,
    and the power, and the glory,
    for ever and ever.]
    Amen.

It's happened to me several times before and never been a UTI. And it's gone now even though I was still in pain last night my urine was only hot for the first half of the day. I also feel like it's inflammation inside heating it up. I will definitely test the temp the next time it happens. It is weird.

ICN Member
    Diluting your urine with drinking a lot of water might help. I hope so. Hugs, Ziggy

ICN Member

I've had it too

I then try to drink a lot of water to flush my urine out. That always helps the hot burning feeling. I to have used a little bit of baking soda in water and that helps also. Hope you feel better soon.

ICN Member
    I absolutely get the hot hot urine. I too have thought there must be a significant temperature difference. I know I don't have a UTI.
    One thing I haven't figured out and I find very curious: my main symptom is blinding pelvic pain. So I would have thought that the hot urine (a secondary symptom) would be in sync - hottest when pelvic pain is most intense. But that's not the case. They aren't in sync.
    I find that quite odd, and wonder why that might be.

I have just begun experimenting with Ph strips, so that I can discover accurately whether hottest urine equals highest acidity numbers.

Let us know if the two are related, I'd be very curious. I usually do take a couple extra prelief or calcium when mine is that way but I haven't tested it.
    Cindi

Gelnique for frequency/urgency - works great
    Macrobid after sex
    Prilosec, continuous birth control pills
    synthroid .088mg, mucinex-d, restasis

Supplements: Desert Harvest Aloe vera, Cysta-q, prelief, magnesium and calcium, Vit D, flaxseed oil

Diag Mild IC Jan 11 but have had symptoms for 25 years. Also have GERD, TMJ, IBS-C, chronic dry eye syndrome, hashimotos thyroiditis, non-allergic rhinitis.

IC Diet Link: http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf
    AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC overview- http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?p=571592
    AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC PDF: http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf
    Great treatment flowchart on page 19 of the pdf

ICN Member
    I've had the same sensation. I always thought it was from the external skin being so irritated from the urine frequency that it was burning my skin and making it feel hot. Interesting to find out if the temperature of the urine actually goes up.

ICN Member
    I've been having a flare for a few days now and boy...it feels like urinating hot acid that burns just about everything down there. My labia hurt and the entire area feels hot. I drink about a gallon/day to dilute this but still hurts.
    Only thing that helps is filling a 1l bottle with luke warm water and just pouring it on after urinating, I can only do this at home.

I've tried Calcium - it made me constipated, can't take baking soda.
    Dg. with IC 2/15/10

Other conditions: depression, ADHD, lactose intolerance, celiac disease, chronic fatigue syndrome, IBS-C.

Medications I'm on: Vyvanse 70mg, Xanax 1 mg as needed, Wellbutrin XL 150 mg, Vicodin 5/500 as needed for pain, Microgestin 1/20 continuously.

Supplements I'm taking: Chondroitin Sulfate, N-acetyl-glucosamine, MSM 3gr/day, Pancreatin, B-5, Ester-C, and marshmallow root tea

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information