Latest Blog Article: Interstitial Cystitis Treatment Guidelines Updated by AUA in Fall 2014
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ICN Member

Is coconut milk IC friendly?

Blueberry juice tastes so ugggh to me and I cant seem to find low acid pear juice. I can tolerate carrot juice ok. the taste is not too bad. i was thinking of buying a blender and keeping some in the fridge sometimes
    Diagnosed with IC October 2009- through bladder biopsy (no glomerations or hunners ulcers found, just irritation)

I have moderate-severe IC

Currently stopped taking all medications due to pregnancy

ICN Member
    Pretty sure it's okay. I know we're allowed to have coconut without preservatives.. which is really all coconut milk is.. just coconut and water. I bought some the other day, and now have no idea what to do with it lol On the side of the can was some really delish stirfry recipe that had soy, etc in it. Wanted to peel off the label so I didn't have to look at it.

You can get it on the ethnic food aisle. Just check the ingredients since some like to sneak in nasty stuff we shouldn't have. I hear ya about the blueberry juice. I like blueberries, but it's just too.. blueberry-ish If you add just a splash to water, it's pretty good though. And as far as low acid pear juice, I've heard ppl say they buy baby pear juice because it's got less vitamin C in it that regular. Never tried carrot juice before. May have to see if I can find some. I'm sooo sick of just water. I'm not a plain white milk drinker (I have to have chocolate, so I don't drink much milk anymore) and I don't like tea. Some ppl drink almond or rice milk (again, check the label).. another thing I may have to try sometime.

ICN Member
    We have never had problem with coconut, and you do have to check the label for preservatives. Natural food aisles in your grocery or a health food store will carry it, and you can order it in bulk online if you are a real coco lover.
    Try making your tea and throwing it in the fridge after sweetening it with honey or natural sugar. Just something cold other than the thick pear and blueberry. You can throw a little blueberry juice, cinnamon stick or even coconut in a muslim or other natural cloth bag while it's hot to get extra flavor. Many alternatives. Gotta be creative and see what works. Do agree, water and milk and even almond milk get old. Have also found all natural root beer (exxpensive!) but a few ounces a week scratches the itch sometimes. It stinks, agree, but gotta keep hydrated, so important. Take care of yourself, and get those fluids in. Jill, wife of Bob

Are you not a tea drinker? I just ordered not one but 4 different davidson's teas off of this website! First I ordered the roastaroma (celestial seasonings) and the french vanilla and they were so good I've ordered a bunch more.
    Also, I've been thinking of trying to make cocoa out of carob powder has anyone tried this?
    I'm not a juice drinker at all myself. I do love almond milk, but chocolate almond milk! I tried some the other day and I don't think it bothered me will be trying it again, its unsweetened and I add just a tiny bit of vanilla creamer and a little whip cream to it and its perfect.
    Cindi

Gelnique for frequency/urgency - works great
    Macrobid after sex
    Prilosec, continuous birth control pills
    synthroid .088mg, mucinex-d, restasis

Supplements: Desert Harvest Aloe vera, Cysta-q, prelief, magnesium and calcium, Vit D, flaxseed oil

Diag Mild IC Jan 11 but have had symptoms for 25 years. Also have GERD, TMJ, IBS-C, chronic dry eye syndrome, hashimotos thyroiditis, non-allergic rhinitis.

IC Diet Link: http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf
    AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC overview- http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?p=571592
    AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC PDF: http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf
    Great treatment flowchart on page 19 of the pdf

ICN Member
    I've had no problems with coconut milk and it's so good!

-Started having symptoms in May 2009.

-Doing pretty well on diet alone.

Coconut Milk contains lauric acid -- which is antifungal and antimicrobrial. Here's a primer.

It's also found in large quantities in human milk.
    Good stuff.

I have almond milk and rice milk and use carob in them for a "cocoa" drink. It's pretty good. I have been wondering about the coconut milk, so thanks for this post! Almond milk seems a bit thick to me and brownish, though it tastes great. Rice milk is thin and kind of too sweet, but at least it is white. I usually mix the two together.

I agree about the teas that you can get on this web site. They are delicious. I want to gag when I drink yet ANOTHER cup of chamomile or peppermint.

I don't drink the blueberry juice that often, but I like it. I dilute it sometimes too because it's kind of expensive. I never found the pear juice that is safe.
    I hadn't even thought of carrot juice, great idea! Just for something different and very healthy. We have to eat so much white food just to be safe and I'm not so big on vegetables as I should be. Thank you for all these great ideas!
    treatment:
    -I follow the IC diet to the letter
    -acupuncture and chinese herbs
    -Prelief
    -UTA
    -instillations as needed
    -beginning yoga and specialized yoga for breathing and relaxation
    -Wellbutrin
    -Klonopin

main symptoms: pain and burning

Do any of you have something you drink/eat for a little energy that works? Since we can't have caffeine, I so often wish for something that would give me a pick-me-up. Just thought of that since we are talking about drinks.
    treatment:
    -I follow the IC diet to the letter
    -acupuncture and chinese herbs
    -Prelief
    -UTA
    -instillations as needed
    -beginning yoga and specialized yoga for breathing and relaxation
    -Wellbutrin
    -Klonopin

main symptoms: pain and burning

For energy I take Korean Ginseng supplement in the morning.

Coconut Juice

Anyone have problems with coconut juice or water? I seem to have a mini-flare whenever I drink it.
    Don't take my word, be your own health care advocate. Research everything and make an educated decision on what treatments you think are right for you.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
    - Albert Einstein

~ Lisa
    My Store: http://www.zazzle.com/saveena*

ICN Member

All coconut is delicious!

I have no problem with coconut milk. I usually try to buy the organic kind because there is a less chance of it having additives to it.

I used to make curries out of coconut milk all of the time before IC. Still trying to figure out a good curry substitute.

Sometimes I use coconut milk as a milk substitute in baking/cooking.

I also use coconut flour in baking and as a thickener for sauces. And I love throwing in shredded coconut in my baked goods too . . . made some rice krispie squares the other day and tossed in 3/4 cup of shredded coconut. So good!

I also use coconut oil in baking and for frying stuff in -- perfect for making pancakes.
    Me: Canadian. 31.

IC symptoms: Cramping, burning, frequency. Pain!

Pain management: Ibuprofen. AZO. Marijuana. Prelief. The IC Diet.

My IC-safe, Gluten-free, Lactose-free food blog:
    Good for Your Guts

I can cook with coconut milk but I can't tolerate drinking coconut water or milk. The last week I tried to eat coconut and it was horrible, I had to pee so bad.

ICN Member

Coconut milk

Forget it! Flares up big time....Not to say this will be true for anyone else...Coconut milk for me, unfortunately is a No No! Mike

ICN Member
    thumbs down for coconut milk..at least for me. Mike

I can eat and drink freash coconut with no problems, I also use organic cocnut oil with no problems.

I tried store bought coconut milk, it bothered me, so I assume it is the preservatives with it.

MG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information