Latest Blog Article: IC Awareness Daily Fact #21 - Anxiety and IC Are Strongly Related Conditions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating out

Eating out

Could some of you please help me with eating out? It seems there are spices in everything unless you only eat at Cracker Barrel or something like that (which I do like, but don't want all the time).

I just got back from Carabba's where I ordered a lobster pasta in light garlic sauce. I asked if it was spicy, then the waitress said no. Well, guess what? There was something really spicy in the sauce that wasn't listed, so I couldn't eat, I came home and washed all the sauce off it and will try to do something with it tomorrow. I ended up eating a small bowl of cereal with almond milk (can't have dairy).

How do you go out with friends who suggest places that don't have foods that are good for us like Mexican or Italian? It seems like after a while, you won't get asked any more if you can't go here, you can't go there, or don't eat your food when you get it. Also, it drives people crazy if you ask a ton of questions about everything on the menu. UGH.

Not only have I lost my eating options, I don't want to completely lose my social life as well!

Please help!

When I do got out (which hasn't been in a while) I stick with a steak and baked potato or plain grilled fish or shrimp. It can get dull but it's better than not eating at all. I'm sorry you had a bad time. It really does stink and I, also, never want to be *that* person who asks all the questions. But sometimes you just have to. I've only been on the IC diet for about a month but before that it was a diet for my stomach where I just couldn't eat so many things without getting sick. I learned to just ask for everything plain.
    Katie-46 yr old female dx'd with IC after 15 years of symptoms off and on long term antibiotic use, GERD,IBS and now IC diet, gallbladder removed, endometrial ablation w/tubes tied
    Lexapro-20 mg
    Aciphex
    Ambien-as needed
    Percocet-7.5 up to 3 per day as needed
    Valium-10 mg x2 per day
    Phenergan-1 at night
    Prelief w/everything
    Now recovering from acute pancreatitis

Currents treatments that help somewhat:
    Heating pad
    Hot baths
    Ice
    Being VERY still while lying down with legs elevated

Thank you Katie. That makes sense. I guess I just didn't want to face it. :/

I know. It stinks to go to a Mexican place and see and smell all the food and order something I get everywhere else. But when I'm feeling good I go out to be with my friends. At least that's what I keep telling myself.
    Katie-46 yr old female dx'd with IC after 15 years of symptoms off and on long term antibiotic use, GERD,IBS and now IC diet, gallbladder removed, endometrial ablation w/tubes tied
    Lexapro-20 mg
    Aciphex
    Ambien-as needed
    Percocet-7.5 up to 3 per day as needed
    Valium-10 mg x2 per day
    Phenergan-1 at night
    Prelief w/everything
    Now recovering from acute pancreatitis

Currents treatments that help somewhat:
    Heating pad
    Hot baths
    Ice
    Being VERY still while lying down with legs elevated

Honestly, after a number of times with people bugging me about not eating, I just gave up on Mexican or Chinese restaurants (I have a soy, fish & shellfish allergy also).

It's just easier than having people make a fuss. I do still socialize quite a bit, it just looks different. I tend to go out to brunch a lot (breakfasts are very IC friendly) or to diner-type restaurants or I cook at home or I cook with my friends at their houses.

I won't tell you it was easy. This has been one of the most frustrating parts of IC for me, as I live in an urban metropolitan area, very international in my friends & their tastes, and I used to travel a lot. I still travel, but now tend more toward renting a flat and doing my own cooking or getting a studio at a hotel with a kitchenette.

But over time (7 years!) it's gotten easier and I'm really appreciative of my understanding friends and don't miss the shallow people who fussed and walked away from me when I was really really sick.

I hope you'll find some things you enjoy when you go out to eat...
    I tend to order--
    •Egg breakfasts (eggs, hashbrowns, toast with honey)
    •Pancakes (I put honey & butter on them, since most of the restaurant maple syrups are chemical)
    •Plain hamburgers (burger, lettuce, bun), fries, vanilla milkshake
    •Plain baked potato & salad (I can get away with a very small amount of ranch dressing if I put it on the side & just dip my fork in it before bites of salad AND take Prelief- a calcium supplement that takes acid out of food)
    •Steamed milk or a vanilla frappucino at Starbucks

Hope that helps a little
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 60mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills every morning and night
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic to prevent UTI infections from 2x daily catheter use
    -Colace & Senna to treat chronic constipation from meds
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

ICN Member
    I second Kadi's suggestions. I'm married with a young child now, so I don't go out much anymore anyway! I have found that the following have helped me:

1. Explain to the people in your life that you need to follow a strict diet to manage your medical condition, and be specific with them about the things you can/can't eat. You'll get some wide eyes for sure, but people will also understand how hard it is for you to eat out.

2. When you are invited, suggest restaurants where you can get IC-friendly things. For me, the best things are bar/grill type restaurants and "breakfast all day" places for the reasons Kadi describes above. Ethnic restaurants are a killer, although I bet you could get pasta tossed in olive oil and garlic at an Italian restaurant if you asked.

3. When you are eating at a new restaurant or are eating a new menu item, ask them to list any ingredients that are acidic or spicy because you have a medical condition. (Be prepared to give them examples of what you mean.) I was surprised to learn that the mashed sweet potatoes at a local restaurant were made with vinaigrette dressing of all things. Ask if they can leave seasonings out or sauces on the side.

4. If you're invited to a questionable restaurant, look online at their menu. If you identify something that's potentially feasible, call the restaurant and ask about the ingredients or if you can have something customized for you.

I think these days most waiters/waitresses are used to people who have food limitations (vegan, dairy, gluten, etc.) I have found that people are always glad to check with the kitchen and be specific with me about what something contains.
    Lori

40 y.o. mom, wife and marketing manager

"Il faut manger pour vivre, et non pas vivre pour manger." -- Moliere ("One should eat to live, not live to eat.")

IC symptoms began Feb 2010; diagnosed Mar 2010

Treatments:

Oral
    Elmiron 3x day; Elavil 25 mg/day; Prelief (when I remember!); Benadryl and Prosed DS as needed for flares

Other
    Acupuncture 2x/month; yoga; IC Diet; meditation and breathing exercises for stress; heating pad for flares

Things I can order:

Baked potato (with butter on the side so I can add just a little)
    Plain grilled chicken - I specifically ask that they not add any seasoning at all.
    Hamburger with just lettuce and no sauce of any kind.
    Places that serve breakfast all day are my favorite. I order hash browns & eggs.

I also check menus on line and telephone ahead if I have questions. Most will make provisions for food sensitivities.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

ICN Member
    I had Italian food Saturday night and I do eat Mexican food also, but I have learned to have all the sauces on the side. I had chicken Alfredo and I had the sauce on the side. I dipped out the chicken and put on the pasta. Not quite as good but I got just a faint flavor. I do Mexican food the same way. I know what to have them leave off and the rest...chili or cheese or whatever is always on the side.

Hope this will work for you. Don't do this real often and make sure I have been really good on diet for while before cheating.

I can eat alfredo sauce (which I don't particularly like, but will have if there is nothing else) a pasta primavera is pretty safe. Mexican - I love chicken and veggie Quesidillas (they usually use Monterey Jack cheese which is IC safe). Chinese I either eat Moo goo gai pan or chicken and shrimp with vegetables (no sauce, take out the onions and watercress). I can also eat a spring roll, or lobster/shrimp roll, most sushi is fine (avoid smoked salmon, although in small amount is not a problem for me. I always take prelief when I go out. If I am stuck at someone's house and they serve something with tomatoes, I take 6-8 prelief (usually take 2-4) drink lots of water and eat small quantities. I find it will usually just increase my frequency. Good luck!

ICN Member
    I know that we all have different sensitivities to food. I just wanted anyone who wasn't aware to know that all sushi rice has rice vinegar in it; that's actually what makes it called "sushi," the seasoned rice. I'm sure you could ask for plain steamed rice instead of sushi rice. I just didn't want anyone to go eat a huge plate of sushi and then wonder why they had a big flare the next day!
    Lori

40 y.o. mom, wife and marketing manager

"Il faut manger pour vivre, et non pas vivre pour manger." -- Moliere ("One should eat to live, not live to eat.")

IC symptoms began Feb 2010; diagnosed Mar 2010

Treatments:

Oral
    Elmiron 3x day; Elavil 25 mg/day; Prelief (when I remember!); Benadryl and Prosed DS as needed for flares

Other
    Acupuncture 2x/month; yoga; IC Diet; meditation and breathing exercises for stress; heating pad for flares

ICN Member
    I live in NYC and this post is soo depressing! To give up all of these wonderful foods to still be in discomfort. It's crazy!

Rachael

Thank you everybody for your input. Judy, I would never have thought to take that many prelief tablets before a difficult meal, but that was one of the exact problems that I have faced. You don't want to be rude, but you don't want to get sick. Thank you especially for that tip!

Hutto, Texas (30 miles or so outside of Austin)
    I few times that we go out to dinner we go to Cracker Barrell (and to be honest, up till last year I really never gave it a thought about eatng there, usually used it as bathroom stop) now we go there a lot, I also go to IHOP
    I have found a mexican resturant here in town not too far from my office that I can eat! When we have pot luck lunches at the office I usually bring me something that I can eat, plus there is at least the main meat that I can eat without no problem.

I'm going to assume that some things really bother me and others don't. I've been on like a modified diet. I cut out coffee, tea, alcohol, chocolate and fruit juices. I went out to have Chinese with the family over the weekend and it didn't bother me. I even had Hot and Sour soup. However, I am very reluctant to try a cup of coffee or a glass of wine. About a month or so ago I tried Folger's Simply Smooth and had that feeling of pressure most of the day, so I haven't touched it since.

ICN Member
    I just started this diet in earnest about two weeks ago (before that, I cut out stuff like acidic stuff, sodas, etc). It wasn't until I cut out everything bad (I was hanging onto chocolate and premade crap) that I got some relief. So I'm terrified of going back to that horrible pain.

So my question is.. where do y'all go that you eat these plain hamburgers, or pasta, or whatever? It wasn't until I completely quit processed food that I felt better. And all that processed food had soy.

So now, terrified of soy. But it would seem it's in everything.. from hamburger buns to the hamburger meat itself. I would so love the chance to eat out.. anywhere.. but no idea where to go. We live on Whidbey Island in WA. Nothing here. So, we drive an hour or two to go to the mall or Target or Whole Foods.. but then, everyone's hungry, and I don't know where I CAN eat :P Frustrating! Any help would be SO SO appreciated!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information