Latest Blog Article: Europeans Release Updated Chronic Pelvic Pain Guidelines
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miralax

ICN Member

Miralax

I saw that some people claimed that Miralax caused them to have flares. However, I consulted with my father (he's a nephrologist--kidney doctor), who studied Miralax at Northwestern University 25 years ago, who claims that Miralax doesn't reach your urine. He explained to me that it's like an oil that only ends up in your bowels.

Is anyone certain that Miralax causes them to flare? 100% certain.

I am certain that I did flare from Miralax. I tried it twice & both times I had a significant spike in symptoms an hour later. One thing many doctors & pharmacists are not very aware of is that the fillers, preservatives & colorants in medicines may cause some of us difficulties. So sometimes while the active ingredient in a medicine may not be a problem, how the medicine is put together may.

I am very very diet sensitive also, even for an IC patient. And I don't have mild IC, I have to take a lot of medicines & do instillations twice a day most days to keep my symptoms managed. I've heard from several friends with IC that they are fine with Miralax, so I'm sure it's ok for some of us, it's just not ok for me with my IC.
    Last edited by kadi; 08-15-2010 at 04:54 AM.
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 60mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills every morning and night
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic to prevent UTI infections from 2x daily catheter use
    -Colace & Senna to treat chronic constipation from meds
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

ICN Member
    What do you do for constipation? Exercise? Increase your water intake, of course. Maybe eating pears (with skin) along with Prelief?

Thanks Kadi, I appreciate your response.

Man, there was this one day a week after my diagnosis where I had no symptoms. I can't remember what I did. I know the night before I ate a lot of potato chips and I was taking Miralax the whole week. I started eating pears with skin afterwords, but eating pears causing a flare doesn't make sense if eating potato's worked out for me.

I guess it just has to be the physical therapy with the myofascial release. They say I am EXTREMELY tight.
    Last edited by konigsberg; 08-15-2010 at 05:17 AM.

Hi Konigsberg,
    I use Metamucil Clear & Natural. Ingredient: inulin (a soluble fiber). No colors, flavors or preservatives. I stir it into hot milk with Pero (a grain based coffee substitute) or into hot oatmeal.

I also have found that the best thing to manage constipation from my meds & my IBS-C is to always have a soluble fiber when I eat an insoluble fiber. So, if I eat a salad (insoluble fiber), I try to have brown rice with it (soluble fiber) & water. Soluble fiber turns gel-like during digestion & moves the insoluble fiber along with the help of the water. Otherwise many of us eat more fiber & just get more constipated! (Which wasn't the idea at all!!)

For some reason, almonds also act like a laxative for me. So, I put a small amount of almonds on my Erewhon Raisin Bran, Barbara's Shredded Wheat, Trader Joe's Shredded Wheat Squares, with some raisins or dried blueberries & that's a pretty good & healthy breakfast.

Physical therapy did help my constipation as well as menstrual cramps & bladder pain, so it doesn't surprise me if that helped you as well. I asked my physical therapist to create me a home exercise plan & to sell me a foam roller to do trigger point release of tight muscles on my own at home. She made me a plan for walking or elliptical trainer or rowing machine, plus hand held 5lb weights, and stretches & that plan helps a lot! I also use the foam roller to release tight muscles in my back, glutes, and legs - it's not comfortable to press on the trigger points with it, but it really relaxes the muscles & reduces pain afterwards. If you've not asked your physical therapist for that yet, I highly recommend it.

Constipation is a big bladder-symptom trigger for a lot of us, you're smart to address this along with the IC.

Hoping you find something that helps soon,
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 60mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills every morning and night
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic to prevent UTI infections from 2x daily catheter use
    -Colace & Senna to treat chronic constipation from meds
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Miralax caused me to flare big time! Most any laxative products do for some reason. I tried Lactulous also...did the same thing as well as stool softeners. I have been using Milk of Magnesia but now it has started bothering me too. It's wierd???
    I'm Perfectly Imperfect and Praying for Remission

I have to throw in one for Miralax. It works wonderfully for me and I have never had any problems with it. I will say that I don't seem to be very diet sensitive either. So apparantly the fillers and extra binding ingredients don't bother me at all.

I can also eat fiber all day long with no help at all! I have to use the miralax. I also have IBS/C, so that is not unusual for me.

Sandra
    Link to the patient information, everything from What is IC? to Disability
    http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

American Urological Association Clinical Guideline
    Diagnosis and Treatment of Intersitial Cysitis/Painful Bladder Syndrom
    http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf

I have constipation issues and have taken magnesium citrate everyday for a few years now. I adjust it daily if I need to. It is like a stool softener, drawing water into the bowels. It is not addictive because it is just a mineral we need with the added benefit of helping to make us regular.

I am one who cannot take fiber supplements either, have tried a few but they really bothered my bladder. I can't take miralax either though I know alot of people seem to have success with it. It totally bloats me, makes me very uncomfortable and gives me odd pencil like stool TMI!!!!! sorry
    Cindi

Gelnique for frequency/urgency - works great
    Macrobid after sex
    Prilosec, continuous birth control pills
    synthroid .088mg, mucinex-d, restasis

Supplements: Desert Harvest Aloe vera, Cysta-q, prelief, magnesium and calcium, Vit D, flaxseed oil

Diag Mild IC Jan 11 but have had symptoms for 25 years. Also have GERD, TMJ, IBS-C, chronic dry eye syndrome, hashimotos thyroiditis, non-allergic rhinitis.

IC Diet Link: http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf
    AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC overview- http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?p=571592
    AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC PDF: http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf
    Great treatment flowchart on page 19 of the pdf

I am one who cannot take Miralax. For me constipation doesn't bother my bladder, but after several days of constipation my intestines hurt. I have tried everything mentioned above and can't find anything to help. My pain meds just stop everything from moving. I did and enema and would rather go through childbirth again. I can eat almonds but no fruit. I have to resort to taking things that cause pain just to go have a BM. I don't know what else to do - otherwise it is 10 days or more and I am afraid I will end up in the hospital. I thought magnesium carbonate was going to be it but last time this also started hurting. Any other suggestions?
    Teresa

We are not HUMAN BEINGS going through a temporary SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE. We are SPIRITUAL BEINGS going through a temporary HUMAN EXPERIENCE....so that we may become more SPIRITUAL.

That sounds pretty awful.

Have you tried magnesium oxide or citrate? maybe one of those wouldn't bother you.

Or have you tried stool softeners, ducolax or generic? they work like magnesium.
    Cindi

Macrobid after sex

Supplements: Desert Harvest Aloe vera, Cysta-q, prelief, magnesium and calcium, Vit D, flaxseed oil

Diag Mild IC Jan 11 but have had symptoms for 25 years. Also have GERD, TMJ, IBS-C, chronic dry eye syndrome, hashimotos thyroiditis, non-allergic rhinitis.

AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC overview- http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?p=571592
    AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC PDF: http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf

Hi,
    Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I have tried all those. But, I saw at the bottom of your post flax seed oil. Maybe this would help if I could tolerate it?

Thanks again.
    Teresa

We are not HUMAN BEINGS going through a temporary SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE. We are SPIRITUAL BEINGS going through a temporary HUMAN EXPERIENCE....so that we may become more SPIRITUAL.

flax seed oil definitely helps with constipation. I can't tolerate fish oil but I am fine with flax but am not nearly as diet sensitive as you. You can get flax oil as caps or as an oil in a bottle. The ingredients in the flaxseed oil caps that I buy at costco are : flaxseed oil, gelatin, glycerin, caramel color.
    Cindi

Macrobid after sex

Fish oil really hurts my bladder. I tried the one with DHA or something and it was supposed to be great, but only a few drops (thank God I didn't take the whole gel tab) I was in awful pain.

Does it do the same to you?

Thanks again.
    Teresa

I am quite diet sensative and I have to keep a watch on my bowels.

I could not take flax oil, but I can eat flax seeds, whole and ground. they have a bit of a nutty flavor. whole seeds pass through whole, I sprinkle them on salads, add to homemade soup, milkshakes, basicly you can added them to just about anything.

Ground flax seed you also get the goodness of the omgea things which are good for lowering cholesterol, it has soluable and unsoluable fiber, you can do the same as whole seeds, but can also use it as a thickener for things.

Read the lables when you buy it, it comes ground flax seeds, but also comes as golden roasted I think or toasted, I myself don't like this it has a bit different flavor and I find tends to get a little gummy in things. You would just have to try and see what you like.

It can take taking it for a few days before it will work for you but taken regularily should help make you more reg.

I find taking some a few times a day better than all at once, and as any fiber you may need to build up the amount you take slowly or it can cause gas.

Hope this helps you, if you can tolerate the caps or oil, you could use both the oil and the seeds.

You may need to take something else till you get your system used to it don't write it off right away, give it a bit of time.

I buy it in the grocerystore but you can get it in the pharamcy part of Costco and health food stores.

Also like any other fibers you need to drink lots of water with it for it to work.

Just a suggestion
    Good luck MG

Thanks MG,
    I am not sure if I can do the oil or the seeds, but I am going to try the seeds first now. It is terrible not to be able to eat more than 6 foods without having pain. I don't understand this?
    Teresa

Just curious what foods can you eat?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information