Latest Blog Article: New Bladder Pain Treatment In Development - IC Clinical Trial

The medicinal value of mint.

Recently I read in a herb book that spearmint regulates the ph balance better than any other substance. If your body is too alkaline or to acid, spearmint will help correct it. It is helpful with allergies, sensitivities and works on the endocrine gland system to regulate, modify and stabilize the glandular functions. It soothes nerves and also supplies important minerals to the nerves. It is a good penetrant and will carry deep into the tissues. The oil has antibiotic qualities and pain-relieving abilities. It aids the digestive system and, in mild cases , will close the cardiac valve to the stomach, thus stopping heartburn which is caused when the stomach contents pass through the valve up into the esophagus. Peppermint it useful for nausea, diarrhea, colic, and nervous headaches. For medicinal purposes it is classed as antispasmodic and caminative. I find this interesting. I am growing my own mints and make tea. I find it soothing to the bladder and is a good after dinner drink to tone down the acid. The ones I grow fresh work better than the Celestial Seasonings but their peppermint tea is helpful also.

I just bought some tea today that has spearmint as the first ingredient along with peppermint and chamomile. I sure hope it will be okay. It also has just a little orange peel and chickory. I have no idea what chickory is, but it's last on the ingredient list.

I did not know all that about spearmint. I have large clumps of spearmint and peppermint growing that I use for tea. It also makes a great air freshener just boiling the leaves in a pan of water.

I guess I'll use more mint now maybe make a tea directly from leaves instead of adding them to other tea.
    -

Symptoms: started July 2007

New pain medication regimen has things under pretty good control for many weeks now. Exercise and eating healthy along with pain control have given me new life.

Current Symptoms: pain in testicles, penis and general groin area. Other discomfort that is beyond pain, a maddening crazed feeling that defies description. New pain medication has most symptoms under good control.

Frequency and urgency was a problem the first year or so but frequency is normal now.

Diagnosed: Prostatitis first then IC by Cysto/Hydro

Current Meds: Hydroxyzine 25mg 3 x day, Pyridium 200mg 3 x day (off 3-4 days on 3-4 days), Oxycodone, Norvasc (BP).

Past medications and treatments:
    Protatitis and IC diet strict for 6 months, no change. Still watch diet although nothing seems to help or make worse. Have tried reverse, ate lemons to see if worse but no change at all.

Meds tried - Amitriptyline, Detrol, Flomax, Cipro, Doxycycline. many other antibiotics, Uroxatrol, Vicoprofen, Elmiron (6 months at $320 mo nothing), Aloe, Cysprotek, Glucosamine, Marshmallow, various oils, tons more stuff to strange and numerous to recount. Hydrodistension for diagnostic was horrible for two weeks after I was sure I must be going to die because nothing could feel that way and let you live.

ICN Member

Mint

I suspect mint tea has been moderating my symptoms. I have not had to have an instillation in about 2 months. I drink 4-5 cups a day with honey, and just leave the old tea bags in the cup so they accumulate and make each cup a little stronger.

Has anyone tried, Yerba Buena (Clinopodium douglasii), which is a Western form of spearmint? Here is most of the Wikipedia entry:

Yerba buena (Clinopodium douglasii) is a rambling aromatic herb of western and northwestern North America, ranging from maritime Alaska southwards to Baja California Sur.[1] The plant takes the form of a sprawling, mat-forming perennial, and is especially abundant close to the coast.[2]
    Contents
    [hide]

1 Name
    2 Other plants known as yerba buena
    3 References
    4 External links

[edit] Name

The plant's most common name, the same in English and Spanish, is an alternate form of the Spanish hierba buena (meaning "good herb"). The name was bestowed by pioneer Catholic priests of Alta California as they settled an area where the plant is native. It was so abundant there that its name was also applied to the settler's town adjacent to Mission San Francisco de Asís. In 1846, the town of Yerba Buena was seized by the United States during the Mexican-American War, and its name was changed in 1847 to San Francisco, after a nearby mission. Three years later, the name was applied to a nearby rocky island; today millions of commuters drive through the tunnel on Yerba Buena Island that connects the spans of the San Francisco – Oakland Bay Bridge.
    [edit] Other plants known as yerba buena

In general, in most Spanish speaking countries, the term "yerba buena" refers to the particular local species of mint, which varies from region to region. The term has been (and is currently) used to cover a number of aromatic true mints and mint relatives of the genera Satureja or Clinopodium. All plants so named have medicinal properties, and some have culinary value as teas or seasonings, as well.

The specific plant species regarded as "yerba buena" varies from region to region, depending on what grows wild in the surrounding landscape, or which species is customarily grown in local gardens. Perhaps the most common variation of this plant (besides Clinopodium douglasii) is spearmint (Mentha spicata).

i <3 peppermint tea as well im growing my own mint to make teas.. have not heard of herb in above post.
    Newly IC diagnosed as of February 2011.

Medications I'm on that seem to work:
    Zoloft- one once a day
    Butrans pain patch 5 mcg (THANK GOD FOR WHOEVER INVENTED THIS!SO MUCH PAIN RELIEF ITS UNREAL,I AM IN NO PAIN AT ALL UNLESS I STRESS OR SCREW UP ON THE DIET)

Failed Meds:
    Elmiron-after 4 months,digestive side effects got to be too much
    tramadol-allergic
    DMSO treatments(5-6)
    probiotics

THERAPIES:gardening,cooking,IC Diet,Counseling,Lots of warm baths,stress reduction,heating pad or ice packs,meditation/deep breathing,listening to relaxing music,having fun on pain free days,drinking chamomile or peppermint tea,pelvic floor physical therapy
    AROMATHERAPY-candles,incense
    Village Naturals Aches and Pains Peppermint Bath Salts
    Johnson and Johnsons Lavender Melt Away Stress Body Wash/Lotion

ACUPUNCTURE/HERBS
    Significant pain relief so far.

MAY TRY:yoga,swimming/hydrotherapy and anti-candida diet if i can kick my sugar addiction
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ***TO MY IC SISTERS AND BROTHERS:WE ARE OUR OWN ADVOCATES!,PLEASE DO AS MUCH RESEARCH ON YOUR OWN AS POSSIBLE AND TRY DIFFERENT TREATMENTS TO GET WELL.NOT ONE TREATMENT WORKS FOR EVERYONE.MOST IMPORTANTLY,TRY TO KEEP A POSITIVE ATTITUDE,DISTANCE YOURSELF FROM NEGATIVITY/NEGATIVE PEOPLE AND NEVER,EVER GIVE UP!***

Add me on facebook Angela Hasic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lord, make me an instrument of your peace;
    where there is hatred, let me sow love;
    when there is injury, pardon;
    where there is doubt, faith;
    where there is despair, hope;
    where there is darkness, light;
    and where there is sadness, joy.
    Grant that I may not so much seek
    to be consoled as to console;
    to be understood, as to understand,
    to be loved as to love;
    for it is in giving that we receive,
    it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
    and it is in dying [to ourselves] that we are born to eternal life.

Thread Information