Latest Blog Article: Creating an IC Friendly Thanksgiving

Thread: Oxytrol Patch

ICN Member

Oxytrol Patch

I want to share that I have started using the oxytrol patch last Monday and I have recovered 75% from a 6 month flare. I am afraid to get my hopes up but this is the most encouraging results I have had in so long.

Has anyone else used this patch?
    Indy

Hi Indy,
    I started oxytrol patches about 2 weeks ago. It has not helped my symptoms yet but they have not gotten any worse either. glad they worked for you and hope you continue to have success.
    :thumbsup:
    Kelly
    To the world you might be one person but to one person you might be the world..
    I am a newbie Angel ~IC Angel Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Great!!!!!!!!!!

:butterfly
    Sue C.~
    sclaus1@pacbell.net

Allergic to oxytol patch

Girls,
    I am so glad that the patch helps many of you, it worked wonders on my frequency and urgency, but the patch itself I was allergic to, it made TERRIBLE, red, angry sores where ever it touched! I moved it more often, put it less sensitive spots all to no avail. I was just sick that I had to quit using it, but two of the spots ended up getting infected and we just decided it was not worth it, not to mention the awful itching and burning where the patch was. My Mom has IC and she did the same thing with the patches, we must be super sensitive. Hope everyone else has great success with it!
    Love,
    Khouse
    kim:

Hi Kim and everyone...

I liked the patch too, but I too was allergic to it! I am allergic to most adhesives (for example, I've had allergic reactions to the tape they use to tape down IV's during surgery and while you're in the hospital). I think that was part of it... anyway, my skin got really red, hot, and itchy where the patch was, and I just ripped it off because I realized I was having a reaction.

I wish I could use it though... it was pretty good!
    Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
    *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
    *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
    *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

ICN Member
    I was on the oxytrol patch for about 2-3 weeks last December, when I broke out in hives. I had terrible itching all over my body. I finally had to get put on steroids. It took 7 weeks to finally clear up. My Uro had never seen a case like this before. It was a big disappointment to have to get off of it because I honestly thought the patch was helping somewhat.

Lyn
    Lyn

IC - dx in 2001
    Vulvodynia - dx in 2006

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give."

ICN Member
    I also was very allergic to the patch. I had to use steroid cream to clear up the rash.

ICN Member

oxytrol patch

You guys are scaring me. I wonder what ingredient is in the patch that is causing such allergies. I'm hoping that since I'm also on atarax that I won't be allergic because this is the best thing I have ever found.
    Indy

oxytrol patch

Indy,
    Maybe you won't be allergic to it, I don't know what ingredient it is but sure wish we could find out, it was the BEST thing I have used for urgency and frequency, I would say my symptoms were 95% better on it. But the rash, I just could take it, it was hot, angry,blisters, they hurt, burned and got infected.
    Will pray you will be okay on it!
    Love,
    Kim
    Khouse

i have used the patch and it helped me alot but yes there is always a but lol it caused me bad headaches if it hadnt been for that it would had been a blessing
    sending you hugs and prayers
    Rhonda
    Medicine taken daily or as needed:
    1. Heaprin and Marcaine rescue installment 1 to 3x daily as needed.
    2. MS.Cotin 100mg 3x daily
    3. MSIR 30mg 1 or 2 every 4-6hrs as needed for breakthrew pain.
    4. Fentanyl 100 mg Change every 48hrs.
    5. Gentamicin 80mg install after each rescue treatment
    5 Leviquin 500mg self start as needed.
    6. Klonopin 1 or 2 daily as needed.
    7. Prosed/DS as 1 every 6hrs as needed.

I have IC, but IC doesn't have me anymore!

Indy,
    I have very sensitive skin Very and the patch so far is not bothering my skin (not saying it wont bother your skin) but hope it does not. I just wish it was helping with my frequency but so far its not. Others said it did help them and I hope it helps you. Keep us posted and good luck,
    kelly
    To the world you might be one person but to one person you might be the world..
    I am a newbie Angel ~IC Angel Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

adhesive on patches

Kim,

I think it's the adhesive on the patch that is causing everyone problems. I haven't used the oxytrol patches, but I did use Duragesic (fentanyl) patches for pain. I used them all right for a while, but then I became allergic. I tried to just deal with it and put Cortisone cream on, moved the patch to different places, but my skin just became infected. I actually had scars from it for months! But I've always had sensitive skin. In some places if I leave a Band-Aid on too long, I have a problem. So if you are usually okay with adhesives, my guess is that you'll do fine. I'm glad the patch is working so well for you!

ICN Member
    For those that it did help, how long was it before you saw any results? Should it work immediately? I just started yesterday.

Thanks.

Dana

Thread Information