Latest Blog Article: September is IC Awareness Month - Ten Ways You Can Help

Urethral irritation and pressure

Is there anything I can do about the urethral irritation and pressure. I'm managing ok, and have my frequency under control, but I have this rather persistent urethral irritation and/or pressure. I can't seem to get rid of it. It doesn't appear to be affected by diet and appears to come and go often for no reason. I might have constant issues for a week or two then may go a bit where it is better. I'm happy that I have the frequency under control but at times the pressure and irritation get to me. It's not that it is severe it's just that it is persistent and irritating. It's good that it isn't disabiling but it is rather annoying. Anyone have this issue? Any ideas on what to do about it other than accept it?
    What helps
    Elmiron 200 mg bid
    Wellbutrin XL anxiety and depression
    Oxybutynin ER 10 mg
    Yoga

tried and failed
    Cardura, Hytrin, Flomax, Prosed DS, Vesicare, Pyridium, Cystoprotek (caused GI problems), Lyrica, Pamelor

"We can't wait until the storm is over. We need to learn to dance in the rain."

Hi, Jereme ~

Yes, I do have the same problem. It sometimes feels like my urethra is going to explode right off my body because the pressure is so intense. Intermittent also. Haven't pinpointed any cause yet. On Monday when I saw my doctor, he did prescribe Urelle to see if it helps. In Aug we will meet again to see if it's better. In my particular case, it's possible that the mesh from my stress incontinence surgery may be causing the problem and I'll have to have it removed (he said it felt very "bulky" and caused me pain during the exam) and later repaired again.

I'm still hoping it's just IC related however and need to keep a better food/symptom/medication diary to see if I can find a cause in the meantime. If I can avoid more surgery I'm all for it. Don't know if the Urelle is helping yet. I have a suspected my valium suppositories so am watching that. Also, I don't know what got into me, but I've been eating Gala apples regularly and that just might be the cause. So, with 2 suspects, I need to narrow it down.

I had terrible retention with Vesicare....see it didn't work for you either. I do believe antidepressants can cause retention, which could cause the pressure????

Keep us posted. I'd love to hear if you figure out anything.
    Sure hope you get some relief.

Ginger

Hi, again, Jereme ~

I just returned from the doctor for my instillation. Well, I'm still having the urethral pressure, but found out I'm retaining urine now. So, no more Urelle, back to Pyridium, still use the Valium Suppositories and all the other meds, but gave me a prescription for Cipro just in case it's a bladder infection and pain gets worse. They still want to do a urine specimen on Tues when I go for my next instill. She wished the nurse had done it today when emptying my bladder....too late. And, from my description of my bowel movements, she's saying that I'm constipated and that has a real effect on the bladder, soooo....we're still trying to figure it all out. Again told me to get that appt with the GI doctor so I'll call for an appt today.

Hope you're having a better day!
    Ginger

ICN Member
    I get it a lot and it drives me nuts!!! Mine always gets worse though right after having a catheter put in for any treatments.

I haven't found anything either other than ditropan, pyridium and drinking water with 1tsp of baking soda in it once or twice a day. Watch out for the sodium though.

I was crying tonight cuz the spasm was so bad. its still acting up tonight. Oh well. Eventually something has to help.

Nancy

Hi, Nancy ~ I'm so sorry you've been in pain today. There are so many on the ICN that have gotten to a point of having their IC under control so there is always hope to find something that works for each of us. Sure hope by now you're feeling better.

Hi, Jereme ~ Sure hope you're feeling better also. I know some offer the advice of taking a bath. I for one am a shower person, so only if things get really bad will I enjoy taking a bath. Maybe that would help you????

Prayers
    Ginger

I'm feeling better yesterday and today. I was trying Ditropan instead of the detrol I was on to save money. I think the ditropan increased the pressure. At this time I'm going to try without the detrol and ditropan and see what happens. If things continue to go well great. Otherwise I think I'll try Flomax. I think the pressure is somewhat PFD related as I wasn't having urethral irritation nor frequency, just pressure. I'm hoping stopping the ditropan will make this better. Otherwise Life goes on. Things definitely could be worse.

On a lighter note, I went golfing with my brother and dad today on father's day and I did pretty well. I got the best score out of us three and didn't have problems with my bladder or urethra at all today. Yeah. I don't know what tomorrow will bring but I'll cross the bridge when I get there. The frustrating issue about this whole IC/PFD is I don't seem to be able to eliminate symptoms. Sxs for me tend to wax and wane. Sometimes better, sometimes worse and sometimes gone. I haven't been able to totally figure this out and perhaps never will.
    What helps
    Elmiron 200 mg bid
    Wellbutrin XL anxiety and depression
    Oxybutynin ER 10 mg
    Yoga

tried and failed
    Cardura, Hytrin, Flomax, Prosed DS, Vesicare, Pyridium, Cystoprotek (caused GI problems), Lyrica, Pamelor

"We can't wait until the storm is over. We need to learn to dance in the rain."

ICN Member

Re: Urethral irritation and pressure

Hi There my name is Rachel
    I have been reading about your Urethral pressure and this is exactly what I feel. I also get bladder infections often and am left with this urethral pressure that just won't go away. Have you gotten any more answers as to what was causing your urethral pressure? I am desperately trying to figure out what could be the cause of mine. Please if you could let me know...thanks

Re: Urethral irritation and pressure

Quote Originally Posted by RachelD View Post
    Hi There my name is Rachel
    I have been reading about your Urethral pressure and this is exactly what I feel. I also get bladder infections often and am left with this urethral pressure that just won't go away. Have you gotten any more answers as to what was causing your urethral pressure? I am desperately trying to figure out what could be the cause of mine. Please if you could let me know...thanks

Hi, Rachel ~ I'm sorry you're having such problems. I still don't understand the reason for the pressure. I did manage to get my IC under control, or what I consider remission, for about 8 months, but the last 3 months has been just awful again. I feel like I've stepped back into the beginning days with all the problems compounded again. I do take pyridium again, up to 3xDay, and take a pain pill now just to get through the days. I truly wish I understood this pressure however. I find that a heated rice bag helps with the comfort. Take care and hope you get some kind of relief soon.

Ginger
    Never heard of IC until it was suspected....Never knew so many are suffering from it.
    Praying for a cure.

11/2007 IC Symptoms began during recovery period of surgery for bladder suspension and hysterectomy, painful urgency/frequency
    8/2009 Suspected IC
    1/2010 Treatment began
    2/2010 Diagnosed PFD, began Physical Therapy
    2/2010 Surgery to remove mesh from bladder suspension
    5/2010 Surgery to repair bladder, vaginal vault and small intestine prolapse
    5/2010 IC officially diagnosed during surgery
    7/2010 Diagnosed with Candida Esophagitis, Gastritis, Diviticulosis, Gallstones
    8/2010 Surgery to remove gallbladder

Treatments:
    Heparin/Lidocaine/Bicarb/Kenalog Instills
    Macrodantin 100 mg after each instill
    Valium Vaginal Suppositories: Cyclo/diaz/lido, 10/5/62.5 mg
    Pyridium as needed up to 3xday
    Celexa 10mg daily
    Premarin Cream 3xweek
    Aloe Vera
    Prelief
    Dual Action Acid Reducer/Antacid
    Fiber supplement
    Probiotics
    Physical Therapy for PFD
    IC Diet since 8/2009
    Gabapentin, 12/2011....seems to be working great!

Medications Tried and Discontinued
    Elavil, worked up to 50mg (started 1/2011), caused retention & high blood pressure
    Urelle, caused retention
    Vesicare, caused retention

Thread Information