ICN Member

UTI gone but still in pain

hi there,

i was diagnosed with IC 6 months ago after years of taking antibiotics as preventative measure for supposed cystitis before i had a cystoscopy which initially made my symptoms 100% worse.

since being diagnosed i haven't had a UTI, some bad flares but i can normally put that down to be misbehaving and straying from the IC diet. Got the start of a UTI last week (im a nurse and i checked my urine at work and it had a bit of everything in it) so i took a few days worth of antibiotics that my uro advised for UTI's. Rechecked my urine last night and it seemed clear but i feel like it hasn't gone!

Still got bladder pain/running to the loo hourly at best. Is there anything that anyone can suggest to help my upset bladder settle again? i feel like i did before the IC was diagnosed. I was in tears this morning at work as it was so sore and my boss was not the most symathetic (noone i know has heard of IC and i think they think i am just over exadurating)

Any suggestions to help me feel more normal again would be wonderful.

x

Tablets - detrusitol 4mg daily, amitriptyline 20mg nightly

Last fall I had a UTI that was cleared up with antibiotics but I still had some left over pain/frequency. My doc gave me a bunch of samples of Prosed DS - loved it. I had to take it for about 2-3 weeks until my poor bladder felt better, but it did numb things and make it bearable.
    Tina

Officially diagnosed with Moderate to Severe IC in June, 2008 via cysto/hydro.

Currently Taking Elmiron (2xday), Hydroxyzine/Atarax (10 mg at bedtime), and Vesicare (10 mg at night).

ICN Member
    I find that I have to be careful with my diet for at least a month after a UTI. Its been about that for me now and I thought I could sneak a tiny cup of coffee yesterday morning after being pretty good for the last several weeks. Wouldn't you know it - about an hour or so afterwards I started to get that old urge feeling again.
    I drank a bunch of hot/warm water to quiet down my bladder with something calming and it worked. Thank God as I HATE that feeling!!

ICN Member
    thanks ladies,

i will hang on in there and hope it improves in time and be extra careful with my diet mean time. this has been my first UTI since being diagnosed and guess i thought that once the infection was cleared that i would feel as normal as you can with an easily upset bladder. my doc isnt easy to get an appointment and to be honest the other ones i have seen at the surgery are not very understanding about the condition and seem to think im crazy. its nice to know your not alone or crazy from people going through the same thing.

x

ICN Member

Im having the same problem

Girl I am having the same problem. I was diagnosed Monday with a UTI and have been taking bactrim 2 times a day. I am on my 5th day. I even had my urine checked again and they said the infection was gone. But I am still hurting and peeing a lot and my pee feels hot and like it is burning me. I can usually manage my flares. But this one won't stop. I am scared.

ICN Member
    i know its a horrible feeling. it took years to get a diagnosis after thinking i kept getting what they referred to as honeymoon cystitis. the cystoscopy then made things so bad that i had a 2 months off work and was constantly in tears due to the pain and not knowing what was wrong. when i finally got started on meds i began to get some releif and then with the diet too i started to feel like me again (except for not getthing to eat my favourite foods and wine ). This UTI has just knocked me back to what feels like square one. Im keeping my fingers crossed my angry bladder settles in time, (tho not quick enough) like the other girls on here experienced.

Hope you start to feel better soon Dees1977

ICN Member

What Meds did they give you

lele1981 what meds did they give you for your uti? They gave me bactrim ds 2 times a day for 10 days.

ICN Member
    I got nitrofuratoin 400mg daily for 4 days. I rechecked my urine after and there was no sign of the infection still being there. My bladder still feels upset, I have all the UTI symptoms still except the burning when I go to the toilet. Had to start taking the painkillers I took until my amitriptyline started to work just to get some relief.

Thread Information