Latest Blog Article: ICN E-Newsletter - October 24, 2014 - New IC Treatment Guidelines Released, Clinical Trial, Research & Clinic News
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Milk

ICN Member
    You need to do a bit more scientific method and rule out some variables. Are you okay with buttered toast? Why don't you try just having whatever bread seems to agree with you for breakfast, and forgetting about the cereal. Instead of any milk type drink, just try peppermint tea. See how you feel by lunchtime after a few days. If you are doing better, try changing only one thing, like try drinking almond milk with toast and see how that goes. If you are still better after a few days, try a simple organic cereal with as few ingredients as possible with the almond milk. Change one thing at a time, and give it at least a few days to make a difference, or even more.

Long before I had IC I didn't do well with a varied morning diet. My stomach didn't like milk or citrus in the morning, and most cereals seemed hard to digest. Yogurt and fruit was a disaster, eggs were icky, I never had any appetite for breakfast meats in the morning either. Cream of rice and cream of wheat were okay. By lunchtime I was fine, and could eat a bowl of cereal and milk if I felt like it. But I pretty much didn't use dairy products until later in the day. None of this seems very logical, but logic isn't everything.

ICN Member
    If you think you are having problems with traditional breakfast foods you might want to try eating other foods you know are safe for breakfast. Like leftovers or a sandwich if you can eat that.

I have never been a big breakfast food eater. I like cereal and milk more as a snack and eggs are okay occasionally. When I was in middle school I really hated eating anything like that for breakfast and Mom was always after me to eat something. Finally she just said -- I don't care what it is, just eat something.

So I started eating leftovers or a sandwich and as long as I was eating that was good. I even went through a period of time where on the weekends I'd make myself a nice big salad for breakfast.

ICN Member

IC problem with cereal

Quote Originally Posted by skybluesoul View Post
    Does anyone else seem to have problems with milk? The only time I really drink it is when I have cereal in the morning. Yesterday, and many other times, it set off a 2 hour frequency flare, though it seems to be ok according to the IC diet. Does anyone else have this issue? If so, what kind of milk would you recommend? I tried rice milk, but I didn't see much change. I know soy is a big no-no, so what's left?

-Amanda
    I had IC flares with cereal until I discovered why. I never poured milk on the cereal because I have a true allergy to milk. I only drink water, so it had to be the cereal that was causing the IC. My doctor told me about potassium sorbate as a trigger. Now I buy organic cereals without preservatives and do well. For example, I cannot eat Cheerios, but I can eat Joe's Os from Trader Joes. I recommend that you check the potassium level of your cereal. Potassium is used to test for IC. During the test, my bladder had spasms.

ICN Member

milk

Amanda, cereal hurts big time. Have you tried cereal without milk once to see if that bothers you, too? The L-Triprophan in milk does cause pain. But cereals are fortified with painful vitamins like some of the B vitamins, C and folic acid. Even though oatmeal isn't fortified with much, it hurts me, too, as whole grains are high in oxalates. I avoid all whole grains.

IC for 40 years. MCS makes it almost impossible to tolerate any medications for IC or any other health problems.
    Shirley M.

ICN Member

Smile Milk

I had to totally give up milk. Even almond milk bothers me even though it's not supposed to. Once again, IC symptoms that don't make sense.

ICN Member

Milk, cereal, etc.

nannyblu, if you still have IC pain even though you follow the IC diet, you may be oxalate sensitive like I am. I started the low-ox diet combined with the IC diet after having IC for 28 years, and it makes a big difference if I stick with it which is hard to do. I can't eat a lot of things on the IC diet, like onions, garlic....or any spices for that matter. Yellow tomatoes or peppers, carob and a lot of other things that are suposed to be ok for IC'ers are very painful to me. Here's an article on calcium oxalate and why it causes pain for some people:

http://www.vulvarpainfoundation.org/vpfoxalate.htm
    Shirley M.

ICN Member

Does milk cause flare up's with IC

I have experienced flare ups when drinking milk or milk based products. I have found that my IC is a royal pain all the time no matter what i try. Tea even causes flare ups for me, all i can say is that you have to experiment what works for you and discover what causes flare ups for you. Unfortunately everyone is different and all you can do is experiment to find out what you need to stay away from. I pray this helps you some.

Everyone has helped a lot. Thank you all. These forums can be so helpful because as many have said, we're all different in our symptoms and triggers. For now, I'm sticking to toast in the morning as that doesn't bother me.
    ----------------------
    -Amanda
    30 years old, bladder symptoms all my life
    diagnosed with PFD and VV October 2009; IC May 2010; acid reflux due to lactose intolerance May 2012
    I also have plantar fasciitis: diagnosed August 2011 (had foot surgery 6/28/12 and 11/15/12)

Current meds:
    Cystoprotek 2 pills twice a day, Hydroxyzine 10 mg, Uribel as needed, Gabapentin 600 mg, Oral valium 2 mg twice a day, Myrbetriq 25mg, capsaicin cream (for vulva), and Prelief as needed
    Other treatments:
    IC diet, physical therapy, Traumeel injections as needed, TENS unit, heating pad, instills with sodium bicarb, lidocaine, and mucosa compositum
    Tried and didn't work:
    Pyridium, Singlair, Nortriptyline, Elmiron, lidocaine and heparin instills (worked at first, then didn't anymore), various creams, acupuncture -- not sure to what extent this did or did not help

ICN Member

Question There's hope

I found out that i have more severe IC then others. I have tried all the treatments and all i can say is i was in living hell for years. After all treatments and there are several; nothing worked for me. I started Emirol 8 years ago and it seems to rejuvenate my bladder walls and keep me at a medium however my doctor told me i will be on pain pills the rest of my life. I have days and weeks were the pain is so severe that i have the urge to throw up all the time. I just keep praying for a cure i know i am not alone. I've learned what foods and drinks i can take with minimal reations every day. There is a newsletter talking about hemp possibly helping out with pain, how on earth do they expect people to keep jobs and maintain a life taking hemp every day of their lives. Am i missing something or is there something that actually helps in hemp?

Several years ago I would come to this site complaining that milk was a trigger for me. People would respond to my posts and tell me that milk is IC safe, that I must have a milk allergy.

People think just because something doesn't bother them, that it shouldn't bother you. Wrong. We all have individual triggers , and milk is definitely a trigger for some IC'ers. Trust what YOUR body tells you.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."
    Mary Anne Radmacher

ICN Member
    I completely agree with you Sharon, just because one person has a reaction to something does not mean another will also. Alot of people can drink tea which is good for the bladder and body however when i drink tea my bladder starts to bleed. I found that eating a banana or cheese causes my bladder to bleed. I found that i can pretty much eat any veggie out there and be okay. LOL go figure however i love veggies. I found that i have had IC all my life and that explains why i have always been told i have Urinary tract infections and yeast infections. I thought that was odd to have one several times a month however poor medical exams and neglect of several doctors and hospitals my bladder is as you can say "dead". I've been praying alot because i do not want to have a sack; i'm only in my mid 30's however if my bladder keeps bleeding like this i will have no choice. My prayers go out to everyone.

ICN Member
    I also had trouble with morning cereal and tried changing the milk, but it was really the vitamins in the cereal (B and C) that were affecting me. Special K and Total cereals nearly killed me! And just because it is organic, doesn't mean it doesn't have added vitamins. I have only found one cereal so far that doesn't add vitamins- Barbara's Puffins. I have also found a multi vitamin that doesn't use artifical B and C vitamins and I can take it. It is RealFoods Organics. It is made from food, not chemicals, and it does not bother me. It really made a difference in how I feel.

Ckyott, I stopped taking a multi-vitamin about a month ago. I haven't been able to find one as you described, without artificial derivatives. I'll have to check into RealFoods. Do you buy the vitamins online?
    ----------------------
    -Amanda
    30 years old, bladder symptoms all my life
    diagnosed with PFD and VV October 2009; IC May 2010; acid reflux due to lactose intolerance May 2012
    I also have plantar fasciitis: diagnosed August 2011 (had foot surgery 6/28/12 and 11/15/12)

Current meds:
    Cystoprotek 2 pills twice a day, Hydroxyzine 10 mg, Uribel as needed, Gabapentin 600 mg, Oral valium 2 mg twice a day, Myrbetriq 25mg, capsaicin cream (for vulva), and Prelief as needed
    Other treatments:
    IC diet, physical therapy, Traumeel injections as needed, TENS unit, heating pad, instills with sodium bicarb, lidocaine, and mucosa compositum
    Tried and didn't work:
    Pyridium, Singlair, Nortriptyline, Elmiron, lidocaine and heparin instills (worked at first, then didn't anymore), various creams, acupuncture -- not sure to what extent this did or did not help

ICN Member
    I get the RealFood Organics vitamins at a health food store (Better Health Markets) and on line. Amazon carries them and has the best prices. I get the "Ultimate" version. Stay away from the "Womens Health" version- it contains a lot of cranberry and other "bladder" herbs that affected my IC.

ICN Member
    I'm wondering if it might be the dehydration that is usually present in the morning. Try drinking a pint-quart of water before eating and see if it still bothers you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information