Latest Blog Article: Interstitial Cystitis Treatment Guidelines Updated by AUA in Fall 2014

Thread: Lorazepam

ICN Member

Lorazepam

My doctor perscribed lorazepam for an oral medication. It is a 1 mg tablet to be taken orally. Does anyone know if it is effective? I have to survive a 33 hour combination of flights to Australia in one months time...I really need something that will work and the doctor hadn't heard of using valium supposotories. I put in another post as well thinking that maybe I need a new doctor for PFD. Do I still see a urologist?

Hi, Sand ~

Did your doctor prescribe the Lorazepam because of anxiety/depression or ???? and how often are you to take it? The only experience I've had with Lorazepam 1mg was when I was scheduled for a cystoscopy and my doctor knew I was a very nervous. I was instructed to take one an hour before the procedure and another when I arrived at the office. Well, maybe it's because up until then I'd been a real "lightweight" when it comes to meds, but I actually didn't even remember the procedure, and have very little recollection of my pre-surgery visit after the test. So....yes, for me they sure did work.

Since then, they gave me .5mg to take 3 times daily for any anxiety/depression.

I would think if you are diagnosed with IC it's good to have a Uro you can depend on to understand your symptoms and can help keep them under control. I know so many people lately that don't have that level of security in their doctor(s) and it's so sad.

Sure hope you have a great time and you can relax!!!! When is your trip?

Take care,
    Ginger

ICN Member

Lorazapen for pain

My doctor perscribed the Lorazapen for pain. I am going to give it a try. I didn't know it was an antidepressant. I am a little concerned about the side effects, although, I don't anticipate needing it regularly. If it doesn't seem to work, I am going to try and find a uro who can help me with my PFD and seems aware of things like valium suppositories...still not sure if it is the route for me but it is nice to have options. I am also in the process of seeing my gyno about the issue. Maybe she will recommend someone...chances are though, that I will get the usual "Huh" look that I get.

Thanks for the well wishes. I am looking forward to the trip. I certainly could use the rest.

ativan is not an anti depressant but an anti- anxiety med
    ativan is stronger then xanax.
    i would not personally take a whole 1mg unless I was not switching planes. I would take .5mg in between though
    ativan it will relax you and 1mg usually puts most people to sleep
    you can have some short term memory lapse there as one gal posted when she was given it before surgery
    yes it wiil help you ease anxiety and feel relaxed just watch how many mgs you take according to your flight schedule
    would hate for you to be drowsy and foggy minded trying to catch flights.
    have a safe trip

Sand ~

I totally agree with Snowgirl to be very careful how much you take. It was a very powerful med for me as I mentioned and I don't have recollection of certain things after taking it. You could have trouble changing flights, etc.

I also have PFD and am on Valium suppositories. You also need to be careful because as I mentioned, I've been a "lightweight" when it comes to these kinds of meds, I do get tired in the daytime now and I don't know if it's from the anti-depressant, Celexa I'm on, the suppositories or the combination.

Hopefully you have someone else traveling with you. I don't have much experience traveling where you need to change flights, but Snowgirl hit it right on......you don't want to be cloudy headed.

I'm always very cautious adding a new med to see how I do. Is your trip in one month, or do you have the 33 hours of flying time within a month's period? If you have a month before your trip, you can see how it affects you prior to leaving.

Good luck...and have fun!
    Ginger

ICN Member
    I was prescribed lorazepam (generic Ativan) (by neurologist) to help with sleeping when I was first diagnosed with MS and having IV and oral steroid treatment. I took 1/2 of 1 mg tab and it worked well to help fall asleep. If I didn't need one to fall asleep, I could take one in the middle of the night to help get back to sleep and still wake up in the morning and not be too groggy.

My PCP "refilled" my prescription, but with alprazolam (generic Xanax) and I find that it is stronger than the lorazepam. I can take 1/2 of 1 mg tab and I am out for the night. I only take it when I really need to at bedtime. I don't ever take either of these meds during the day because I know how easily a small dose puts me to sleep.

This was, of course, before I was suspected of having IC. Now when I feel like I'm flaring from IC, I take the alprazolam at bedtime only, and it really helps. I feel better in the morning and I get a good night's sleep.

I also sometimes take Tylenol PM but I have to take it early so that I can wake up in the morning.

Just wanted you to know my experiences with these two meds, but I think everyone is different. My last flare I started talking Prelief with dinner and the alprazolam, and after two nights my flare was gone for three days. Don't know if it really helped or if it was chance.

Good luck with your flight.
    Colleen

* ITP - autoimmune blood disorder - spleen removed 1978 and in remission since
    * MS- diagnosed Jan-2010
    * IC - confirmed by cysto and hydro Nov-2010 - currently taking no medication
    * possible adenomyosis - suspected by urogyno May-2010
    * low Vitamin D levels - taking 2000 IU daily
    * sleep issues - 1/2 alprazolam

Thread Information