Latest Blog Article: IC Awareness Daily Fact #15 - Disability Benefits May Be Available

Thread: bowel movements

ICN Member

bowel movements

I am sure that this has been discussed before but I am new to the site. I have majorly noticed that I have a huge flare up when I am constipated and/or having a bm.. I am guessing that it puts pressure on my bladder and that is where the horrible pain comes in. I am thinking that if I take a stool softener every day that this will help with the pain.. Also, I have noticed if I sit sometimes.. this makes it worse as well. Once again, it must put pressure on my bladder.. Any comments, tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.:woohoo:

ICN Member
    Please be careful with stool softeners. Use only when all else fails. Just my opinion. but I think a lot of fiber and a great deal of water will help you more. Due to an operation I took stool softeners for 3 months and messed up my system rather bad. Certainly talk with your Doctor about this problem. You will get the best advice there. This is common for people with IC. Most Doctors want to help in any way for you to be more comfortable. If not they are not good Doctors. I also hurt when I sit for long. My chair pushes back and lets me stretch out, I get much relief. A long car trip is terrible for me so I take a pain pill when it is nesessary and someone else drives me. My Doctor told me to do this to stay ahead of the pain and it helps greatly. I hope you find something soon that will work for you. Hugs, Ziggy

It's not good to be constipated --- too often, it's natural to strain for a bowel movement, which can cause other problems. Have you talked with your doctor about this? I had to take stool softeners for many months after I had a rectocele repair and again for several months after I had my sling put in. I did this on the advice of my physician --- I wouldn't take them more than for a few days otherwise. I did not have any problems with stool softeners, but I was advised to be certain the softeners were not laxatives.

I do agree that increasing fiber intake and drinking six to eight cups of water daily is the best route to go.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

After suffering for years with constipation, I finally found what works for me. Something as simple as eating an apple every night. I was taking magnesium for awhile and it did help, but I started eating the apples and pears for an evening snack, and low and behold it's made all the difference in the world. I don't really like apples, but am trying to loose some of the weight I carry in my stomach area (IC bloat?) so I figured the apple was better then filling up on junk food. I can't believe the difference it's made for me. It may not work for everyone, but I just thought I'd mention it in the hopes of helping someone else.
    I like the pink lady apples the best and they don't cause me any increased bladder problems.

Dakota

Apples cause me to falre but I can eat pears, but you maybe able to eat them just take it slow at first if you are going to try this.

MG

I forgot to say Miralax is a wonder med for me, but I think you should talk to your Dr. before using this more than once in a while, or as prescribed on the bottle.

MG

Hi, Sherrylarue

I, too, am a firm believer that the bowels directly affect the bladder, and have been advised by my doctor to definitely keep constipation under control.

MG - My doctor recommended Miralax also and I'm taking it daily for the last 6 days. I'm "going" fairly regularly but mostly have harder "rock like" formed bm's. I was taking Milk of Magnesia daily and doing pretty good, but changed upon doc's advice. Do you take the Miralax daily? If so, for a prolonged time or just as needed? I've had 2 surgeries involving bladder/bowels since Feb and I know it's so important to keep things moving or like Sherrylarue, I get so much pressure and pain. I have another appt on Wed so I can as then, but your comments are certainly welcome.Thanks so much.

Hope you'll be getting things under control soon, Sherrylarue,
    Ginger

Yes I take it 2x's daily, I find it works better that way than once daily, this is as prescribed by Dr. Until recently it was only available by rxwhere I live, but is now OTC, but my dr, still rx's it.
    I also take 1 Tsp of ground flax seed 2x's per day for high cholesterol, but it is also a good fiber.

As well I make sure to drink a lot of water and try to at least go for a walk everyday even if I am only to walk around the yard. Movement helps too.

I think this alone has helpped my IC symptoms a lot, I go everyday in am easily, the not pushing and not having a build up like when you are C helps to not put pressure on your bladder (my belief). Occasionally I go too often, but it is just soft and I am not sick or cramps or anything I just go a little more frequently.

I have had problems with C since my late teens, Miralax has worked better for me than anything else, for me it is my wonder drug.

It is known that my bladder muscle which contracts to push out the urine doesn't work for me so they figure the bowel muscles also do not work propperly.

It does say on the bottle of Miralax only to take I think for 7 days, so please discuss this with your dr. beofre taking it full time.

Long term use of lax or softenrers can cause long term problem.

Good luck MG

ICN Member
    I have a rectocele and cystocele, plus IC, and find that steelcut oatmeal each AM takes care of regularity for me. Irregularity causes me great pain!!
    Trader Joe's has a frozen steelcut oatmeal that you nuke in the microwave,--it's easy & fast when you're trying to get out the door.....

Thanks, MG ~ I'll check when I see my PA next week. I'm going more and it's definitely softer. How much do you take each time? I'm taking the lid filled to the top of the white liner as suggested. I agree, no cramps, etc.

I still have a very hard time with water. Still don't understand why. I can drink a glass of milk and am fine, but if I drink a glass of water my bladder goes crazy. Just Tuesday I had an instillation but I drank water before I went...I was driving 40 miles and got thirsty....HUGE mistake. On the way home I was almost in tears...every bump in the road hurt. Once I got home though i could not go pee. Instead, I went the "other"....then still couldn't pee but later with urethra pain I did go.

Today I had another instillation, but didn't drink anything but 4 oz of milk before I left and I didn't have that problem. (Of course the 4 oz is a lot less than the 16 oz of water!!) Came home, rested, then went a couple hours after instill and even had a normal "pee"!!!!

Thanks again, I'll have to remember to ask about taking daily longer than the label recommends....already been 10 days but feel better.

Hi, Hart to Hart ~ Thanks for the suggestion about the "frozen steelcut oatmeal". I don't know what that means but will look into it....we just got a Trader Joes here not too long ago....still about 15 miles away, but I'll try to get over there to get some...the convenience sounds great also.

I'll get this thing straight someday.

Hope you're having a good day,
    Ginger

Thread Information