Latest Blog Article: New IC Awareness Month Contest - What's Your IC Story? $100 Prize

does anyone use estrace every night?

I have been using it every night for over a year and was wondering if that was normal? How many times per week do most people use an estrogen based vaginal cream?

ICN Member
    I use Estrace twice a week. I have been given the okay from the gyno to use it three times a week if I need. So far, I am doing fine on twice a week.

ICN Member

Estrace

Hi Judy,
    I take an Estrace pill every night, and have for years, since hysterectomy. However my gyn.is now urging me to try stopping since there are well known problems with hormone replacement(breast cancer, alzheimer's are two of the biggies).
    Since I was just diagnosed with IC, and am trying to figure it all out, I am not ready to stop the Estrace just yet, but maybe when things subside, I will give it a shot.
    I don't know whether the Estrace has any affect on the bladder, but that is a good question which I think I will ask, and research.
    Bubbe!

ICN Member

Estrace

Judy,
    I forgot to say that I was using Estrace cream twice a week, but it seemed to make me more sore, so I stopped.
    Bubbe1

ICN Member
    Judy, Per doctor's orders, I use estrace cream nightly & vagifem twice a week. It has helped alot.

ICN Member
    I use 2 grams three nights a week, but a the very beginning I had to use it nightly for several weeks.
    Cathy

My sweet little doglet!

ICN Member
    One gram 3 x week for 3 years. I tried weaning myself off of it but the symptoms came back.
    I've read that you are only supposed to take it for the shortest time possible (or words to that effect) at least if you are post-menopausal - so I'm still fiddling around with the amount. I think I will always need it at some level, though.

ICN Member

Bubbe

I would like to know where your "doctor" came up with the idea that estrogen use increases alzheimers and breast cancer? The studies prove and show the opposite. The brain has many estrogen receptors and according to an world renowned Alzheimers Expert, Dr. Marwan Sabbagh, "Estrogen enchances the neurotransmitters used to communicate with each other and promots healthy neuron develpment, growth and maintenance, and promotes degradation of of amyloid plaque." He also states that a lot of the early studies were poorly designed.
    The Womens Memory Study(WHIMS) was done to determine the protective effect of HRT. The HRT used was Premarin/Provera and this showed twice the incidents of dementia as compared with no hormone therapy. The last Mayo clinic study showed that estrogen supplementation may not prevent Alzheimers disease, but did not show an increase risk for developing Alzheimers either. Other studies have shown that the time estrogen is implemented is a factor as to if it does or does not have a protective effect.
    If estrogen levels are not kept at an acceptable level and crash before you try supplemenataion, the women who started E before age 56 or immediately after a hysterectomy performed better on tests of cognitive function then women who began estrogen at a later time in their life. Also women on very low dose estrogen did not show any postitive or negative cognitive effects, probably due to the low dose.
    When reading information about studies note carefully if they say HRT that means a combination estrogen and progestin or progesterone. Most of these studies are done with Premarin and Provera. This Premarin/Provera combination is very bad news for development of breast cancer, all numerous other problems including alzheimers. Why dont they take Provera off the market? Go figure, they have had the goods on Provera for at least 10 years that I know of.
    As for vaginal estrogen, the vagina need estrogen and the bladder will absorb it from the frontal vagainal wall. The amount you absorb in the blood from the vagina is pretty small. The vagina needs regular estrogen insertion regardless of oral or topical use. Weather you use it three times a week like I do, once a week or what ever. It is what makes your lubrication adequate, and your vulvar area happy. This is different for different people.
    Bear in mind that some of the IC meds cause systemic dryness and I suspect (my opinion only) that Elmiron will block some estrogen production and thats why some people have problems with hair loss.
    Estrogen is in my opinion a crucial component of IC, VV, treatment, as well as keeping brain fog and wrinkly, thin skin from making you look like a prune.
    Estrogen also lubricates the eyes, produces saliva and in general makes you juicy.
    Try and get my estrogen and I will get my gun.

Sammi

Meds: Melatonin 3mg @ bedtime if needed. Estrogen 1.5 mg troche and 0.1 mg Estrace cream.
    Diagnosis: IC, PFD (both in remission)

ICN Member

Re: Sammi's post to Bubbe

Sammi: I am sure that Bubbe has a good doctor. There are several studies out on estrogen replacement & researchers have different opinions. We all have to make our own decisions based on the available data, along with our doctor's professional opinion. I am glad that your choice works well for you.

ICN Member
    My doc just prescribed Estrace 1 gram 3x week for urethral irritation, frequency, and urgency. Doesn't sound like that is enough for a starting dose. How long does it take before you start to feel better if it is going to work?

ICN Member
    For vaginal atrophy wait one to two weeks before trying intercourse.

As to your dose being high or low, it depends on how bad the problem you're being treated for is.
    Cathy

My sweet little doglet!

ICN Member
    I use Estrace every other night. I use a small amount...maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of the line on the applicator. I don't use the applicator and rub it externally and a little at the opening. I used to fill to the first line and insert 2 x week but the doctor switched to every other night and use less and it works better.

ICN Member
    Thanks for the info. Has anyone experienced irritation from using Estrace? I tried it a couple of times and feel like the whole area is somewhat irritated. Not sure whether to continue. Not real comfortable.

ICN Member
    Hi

I have had irration but I don't think it was from the Estrace...allergic reaction to something else. My skin was so irrated that everything burned. This is what my doctor told me to try to get it healed: Lidocaine gel (script needed), A & D Ointment and 1% hydrocortisone cream. The last two are over the counter and used to give skin has a chance to heal. They actually worked.

Thread Information