Latest Blog Article: New Fact Sheets for Interstitial Cystitis Treatments, Diet and Flares
Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Can a person lose weight on Amitriptyline?

I need to lose 40 pounds, yeah I am a pudge ball. It really has me down too. So I started on my diet and on Amitriptyline on the same day 3 weeks ago. The first week, 8 pounds dropped off. Great I thought but no surprise as I can lose weight fairly easy by walking 4 miles and watching my diet. I am also on the IC diet or trying to follow it as best as I can. I take 10mg of the Amitriptyline and 10 mg of Hydroxyzine at night. Plus Cystoprotek and Aloe Vera too. But for 2 weeks now, the scale hasnt moved one iota. I googled this question and spent 2 days reading up on peoples experience on this drug. No one has stated they have lost weight while on this. In fact most gain 20-40 pounds. THAT is not an option for me. My blood pressure is up because my weight is up and yes, I am on blood pressure meds too. Fortunately I have my frequency and urgency pretty much under control now. I have never had pain. I am tempted to wean myself off of the Amitriptyline because I have a feeling it is hampering my weight loss. Who wouldnt lose weight rapidly if they were eating 1,000 calories a day plus walking 4 miles? That is what I do, every day. So anyone reading this, have you ever been on this medication while dieting? And did you lose weight? I am getting kind of worried because my IC is better now but the weight is not coming off. One website I read they said that its impossible to lose weight while on Amitriptyline. If this is the case, then I will have to go off of it. So just throwing this out to all of you to see what your experience has been. Does the pill actually cause you to gain or is it the increased appetite and giving in to it? I havent noticed any appetite increase. Just a dry mouth.

Ok thanks to anyone who responds!

Suzie

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie0156 View Post
    One website I read they said that its impossible to lose weight while on Amitriptyline.
    Then I did the impossible!

I took amitriptyline for two years. Right at the beginning I put on 17 pounds in record time and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the scale! I had been craving carbs which was unlike me, I knew it was due to the meds, and after seeing the scale, knew I couldn't continue down that road.

As soon as I started to pay attention to the junk I was eating, and quit eating it, I slowly returned to my original weight.
    "The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have."

I gained a lot of weight (45 pounds) on it, but since then I have lost about half of it (20 pounds lost). So, it can be done. 10mg is a very low dose & you may not have weight gain at all on it. My mom takes 10mg and has not gained any weight, same with a friend of mine who also has IC. I did not gain any weight during the 7 months I was on 10mg. I gained the weight when I increased the dose to 20 mg. The main thing is to pay attention to how much you are eating. Most people who experience weight gain on this medicine find that it's because it increases appetite & sugar cravings. If I'd stayed aware of how much I was eating, I wouldn't have gained so much weight so fast.

Hope that helps. All that said, I'm staying on Elavil because it helps my IC so very much. I hope that if you do decide to keep taking it, that it helps your IC.
    Good luck!
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 60mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills every morning and night
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic to prevent UTI infections from 2x daily catheter use
    -Colace & Senna to treat chronic constipation from meds
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Hi Kadi and Vicki

You both have given me great hope and bless you both for that. I have found this drug to be an appetite suppresant really, for me. Dieting, I am watching everything that goes into my mouth but because I am not hungry, I have to force myself to eat which is about 1,000 calories a day, because I know my body needs and deserves at least that amount to stay healthy. Maybe I am just at a plateau right now and any day, the dam will burst and the pounds will come off again. 8 pounds in 3 weeks isnt too bad but normally I lose about 15 pouds in one month, lol...thats just how my body is. But thats not going to happen I dont think now. I will stay on it because my IC is pretty much in remission for the most part.

Thanks to both of you for replying to me!

Suzie

Hi Suzie,
    Eight pounds in 3 weeks is great progress (it's actually more than Weight Watchers recommends) & since you're losing weight at a moderate pace, you are more likely not to put it back on! IC in remission at only 10mg of Elavil is also a very good thing Hang in there,
    Kadi

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 60mg at night
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week

Hi Kadi

Well I am use to losing faster because I usually do a program called Medifast where you consume shakes, soups and suppliment meal bars. On that program, I lose about 18 pounds a month. But the shakes have soy in them and soy seems to trigger more frequency with me. Havent had the pain most of you seem to get, cant imagine how awful that must be.... I'll keep chuggin away and since my IC is mild, I think that is why I can get away with 10 mg of Amitriptyline. I have a question to toss out to you or anyone reading this though. Am I going to have to be on this for the rest of my life? I hate being on meds. Just wondering if anyone ever gradually weans themselves off to see how they would fare? Since my IC doesnt involve pain, it might be worth seeing how I would do after a certain amount of time. I am not under a URO's care....our URO's here dont see IC patients, IC patients are referred to a nurse practitioner here. She basically told me to increase or decrease my meds as I see fit. And I dont know if I can really call this remission. But I seem to be up to at least 4 normal days a week now...sometimes 5 and maybe after I go another few months, maybe I could slowly go off the Amitriptyline just to see how I do. If my flares increase, I can always go back on it. But I wont do it yet because I dont consider my IC 100% stable just yet.

Thanks for your reply Kadi!

Suzie

It's not unusual when trying to lose weight to lose at first, then hit a plateau. Our doctor told me several years ago that when we go on a diet and begin to exercise regularly, we do lose fat tissue, but gain muscle tissue --- which is heavier than fat. He also said that if we don't get an adequate amount of food, our bodies will go into a "save" mode and actually burn less calories.

The dose of amitriptyline you are taking is low and is not likely to cause weight gain. At higher doses, I'm told it causes hunger, which causes the weight gain.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

Weaning off of Amitriptyline

Well having given this alot of thought, I am slowly going to wean myself off of this medication. I spoke with my pharmacist earlier who told me that basically Amitriptyline halts your metabolism, thus people cant lose weight or most likely, gain alot of weight. I spoke to my nurser practitioner today and she agreed and basically gave me a choice of getting thinner or being in remission, which one do I want more? Well, I would like to have both but the pharmacist laughed and told me I was asking for alot. In this 32 years of dealing with people on this medication, he has seen more people gain weight than lose weight. He said its a trade off, which is more important to me he asked. Good god, well no wonder the scale is stuck and is even now going up a half pound per day. It has stopped my metabolism. I walk 80-90 minutes a day and consume 1,000 calories a day. I lost 8 pounds the first week because the Amitriptyline hadnt had a chance to stop my metabolism. But now, 3 weeks later, it has. I am also on Hydroxyzine and wonder if that too isnt hindering me? But antidepressants are notorious for causing weight issues so I am betting its the Amitriptyline. Does anyone know if just the Hydroxyzine could help with urgency and frequency, once I get off the Amitriptyline? My nurse has told me its up to me in what I want to do here. She told me to just cut the 10mg in half at night and to wean off for about a month. Kadi, I know you said you lost weight wasnt it while on it? I think you are one of the lucky ones.

Anyone have luck on just Hydroxyzine?

Thankyou!

Suzie

I have lost about half the weight I gained from increasing to 20mg a night, but it is a far bigger struggle than it would be off it.

In my case, before amitryptiline, I was voiding 60x a day, completely unable to sleep more than 20 minutes at a time, wear pants (had to wear only loose skirts), attend church, travel or exercise, & was barely able to work. I won't stop the medicine in spite of being about 35 pounds overweight still. I was not able to tolerate hydroxyzine (gave me a pounding heartbeat) and elmiron made my IC worse, not better. I'm already maxxed out on other treatments (see below my name).

For me, since the amitryptiline is a major component of my treatment plan & having my life back, I'd rather be overweight than disabled. But, I also think I could be doing better managing my weight. I don't exercise nearly often enough & I'm just plain eating too much, sometimes due to stress.

I don't know if my answer helps, but that's my story on this...
    Kadi

Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 60mg at night
    -Pyridium if needed,

ICN Member
    Just want to throw in that I, too, lost weight while on the ami... and I wasn't overweight to begin with. I decided that I had too much sugar in my diet, after reading this book called the sugar solution. Well, deleting much of the sugar caused me to lose weight. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by kadi View Post
    I have lost about half the weight I gained from increasing to 20mg a night, but it is a far bigger struggle than it would be off it.

In my case, before amitryptiline, I was voiding 60x a day, completely unable to sleep more than 20 minutes at a time, wear pants (had to wear only loose skirts), attend church, travel or exercise, & was barely able to work. I won't stop the medicine in spite of being about 35 pounds overweight still. I was not able to tolerate hydroxyzine (gave me a pounding heartbeat) and elmiron made my IC worse, not better. I'm already maxxed out on other treatments (see below my name).

For me, since the amitryptiline is a major component of my treatment plan & having my life back, I'd rather be overweight than disabled. But, I also think I could be doing better managing my weight. I don't exercise nearly often enough & I'm just plain eating too much, sometimes due to stress.

I don't know if my answer helps, but that's my story on this...

Hi Kadi

Yes, you had a pretty bad case of IC and I can see how you would be better off on the medication than off of it. So how are you losing weight now or how do you plan to do it now while on the Amitriptyline?

I have worked so hard on this diet, watching every calorie, working out every day, if I were not on this drug, I would have 20 pounds off by now. I cut my dose in half last night....I have to get off this because my blood pressure is too high, due to being 40 pounds overweight. It did help me with my frequency, I will sure give credit to that but I guess I will just have to live with the urgency and frequency because I need to lose weight and its not happening while on this.

Thanks for your reply Kadi!

Suzie

I have gained weight while taking Elavil 25mg nightly. I'm with Kadi...I'm starting to monitor what I eat and how much of it, I'm noticing my clothes being baggier (I don't like scales they make me depressed). I've started to do yoga. I bought the Sketcher ShapeUps and started to walk...walking is so much more bareable with these shoes. Everything seems to be firming up. I'm going on a cruise in July, I want to look and feel my best, granted its to Alaska...not Jamaica or anything...but still a cruise. The key is really to stay committed.
    ~Ashley

Diagnosed with IC, IBS, & Bulging disk on L5
    Possible PFD, CFS, Fibromyalgia, VV, & Arthritis

Currently taking:
    -Effexor 37.5mg (2xs daily)
    -Lysene [mouth ulcers - genetic] (daily)
    -Rescue Instills (as needed): 8ml Heparin, 8ml Lidocaine, 3ml Sodium Bicarbonate
    -Xanax (as needed)
    -Uribel (as needed)
    -Desert Harvest Aloe Vera Personal Gele (as needed)

No longer taking:
    -CystaQ (too expensive)
    -Cystoprotek (flares worsened)
    -NuvaRing (irritated my womanly walls)
    -Lexapro (didn't work for me)

You can message me on yahoo at: ashley(underscore)s0611 or look for me on Facebook with the same yahoo email address, let me know you are from ICN and we can become friends!!!

Quote Originally Posted by delfin View Post
    Just want to throw in that I, too, lost weight while on the ami... and I wasn't overweight to begin with. I decided that I had too much sugar in my diet, after reading this book called the sugar solution. Well, deleting much of the sugar caused me to lose weight. Just my two cents.

Hi Delfin

I am watching my sugar and sodium while dieting and still, nothing lost in over 2 weeks now. I know its due to the Amitrptyline and probably the Hydroxyzine I am on too. How much sugar are you taking in? Maybe I will cut out more sugar. What do you recommend for a daily sugar intake?

Thankyou!

Suzie

Quote Originally Posted by astone0611 View Post
    I have gained weight while taking Elavil 25mg nightly. I'm with Kadi...I'm starting to monitor what I eat and how much of it, I'm noticing my clothes being baggier (I don't like scales they make me depressed). I've started to do yoga. I bought the Sketcher ShapeUps and started to walk...walking is so much more bareable with these shoes. Everything seems to be firming up. I'm going on a cruise in July, I want to look and feel my best, granted its to Alaska...not Jamaica or anything...but still a cruise. The key is really to stay committed.

Hi Ashley

Gosh everyone is doing so good on their diet while on Amitriptyline. I too am committed, walking 4 miles a day, eating 1,000 calories or less a day....watching sodium and sugar....dont know what else to do...very frustrating. I write down everything that goes into my mouth. I just think this drug, for me, is not good for my diet. I was on a low dose, only 10 mg, but last night cut that in half so maybe now that will help me drop weight.

Have fun on that cruise, I hear Alaska is beautiful!

Suzie

I hope cutting it down works for you. I unfortunately have the symptom of pain so its very much needed for me. I'm also tempted to take water reducer pills. I learned that Hydroxyzine and Elavil can make you retain water also. I'm just afraid that if I take those reducers I will have to drink more water...which I hope doesn't cause more bathroom visits...but I know it will.
    ~Ashley

Diagnosed with IC, IBS, & Bulging disk on L5
    Possible PFD, CFS, Fibromyalgia, VV, & Arthritis

Currently taking:
    -Effexor 37.5mg (2xs daily)
    -Lysene [mouth ulcers - genetic] (daily)
    -Rescue Instills (as needed): 8ml Heparin, 8ml Lidocaine, 3ml Sodium Bicarbonate
    -Xanax (as needed)
    -Uribel (as needed)
    -Desert Harvest Aloe Vera Personal Gele (as needed)

No longer taking:
    -CystaQ (too expensive)
    -Cystoprotek (flares worsened)
    -NuvaRing (irritated my womanly walls)
    -Lexapro (didn't work for me)

You can message me on yahoo at: ashley(underscore)s0611 or look for me on Facebook with the same yahoo email address, let me know you are from ICN and we can become friends!!!

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information