Latest Blog Article: Summer 2014 IC Optimist Now Available
    ICN Member

UTI, urethral irritation, IC?!

Hello everyone. I've known about this site for a while, as I often come here and read others' stories to try to understand what's going on with me.

I feel like quite an outsider because I don't fit the normal UTI symptoms, but I don't quite fit in with the IC symptoms either.

My story:

Basically, last year I had a bad UTI (E.Coli) following sexual intercourse with a new bf (STD's ruled out). Probably 2nd one I ever had. I was put on Macrobid, and while symptoms improved, they kept coming back and I kept going on and off Macrobid and Cipro. The problems continued for several months. Eventually, I was given low dose Macrobid to take after having sex, and the symptoms went away after a while.

For the last 5 months I haven't even been taking the Macrobid after sex and everything was dandy up until 2 months ago went I got another UTI (urine test confirmed). Finished two courses of Cipro. Back on Macrobid after sex. But it doesn't seem to be helping. Tried cranberry. Tried mannose. Nada.

I've heard that UTI's can trigger IC, or at least flares of IC, and I keep thinking I have IC or something like IC but I don't have all the symptoms for it.

- Diet-wise, nothing really bothers me except spicy food. It doesn't cause pain but it causes irritation.

- That's the thing: I don't feel pain. I've only felt pain the first two days of the UTI (and it sucked!). But I don't feel pain. I never take pain meds. I feel more of a constant irritation.

- The irritation I don't think is coming from my bladder. Or at least, some of it is, but most of it seems to be somewhere where I think my urethra is (not sure), or like in between vagina or urethra. Or at the top of my urethra. It's hard to pin-point.

- I don't have frequency. Sometimes I have urgency, but it's usually with a full bladder. And a full bladder actually makes the irritation go away.

- I am not relieved after using the restroom; in fact, the irritation is the worst right after I use the restroom.

- Any kind of sexual activity seems to cause the urethral irritation, as long as I get "turned on."

I was just wondering if anyone else had symptoms like these and what their prognosis was.

I've been looking around a lot and the thing that seems to be the closest in description is urethral syndrome. I especially think this might be the case because of my symptoms during being turned on...sounds like something's up with Skene Glands. But the problem is, I can't see the Skene Glands and don't really think they're swollen or infected (especially since I took 2 1-week courses of antibiotics).

I can't go see a urologist right now because I have no insurance, and unless I'm dying, I'm not getting a referral to one from my student health center.

I'm just posting here to make sure I'm not losing my mind or to at least gain the slightest clue as to what's going on.

ICN Member

Red face Same here!!!

My story is hauntingly similar to yours, except the beginning is different. I've been suffering from UTI's for 9 years on & off, but this year, I've developed constant irritation in my urethra. It started taking a generic form of macrobid, nitrofurantoin, for a UTI in March, and followed by taking in 1 p/day for prophylactic reasons. I should've called my doctor b/c it took 5 days for my symptoms to go away when it normally takes 2-3 days for a 10 day treatment, but it didn't occur to me at the time.

In April, I noticed a "funny-feeling" down "there". I was on a preventative so I thought I was going crazy until the funny feeling turned into extreme pain. At my appt, doc said I had a UTI bc I didn't take enough meds in the 1st place to cure it. The nitrofurantoin is only half effective as the real thing so I should've been taking 4 pills a day verses 2. So I got another antibiotic to cure the infection b/c the bacteria probably created a resistance to the nitrofurantoin. It took another 5 days for symptoms to subside, but again I didn't think anything of it. I was just soooo relieved that my symptoms were gone.

2 weeks following, I developed constant irritation in my urethra and an excessive dry mouth, which both symptoms I never experienced like that before. It took 3 weeks before I finally saw another doctor, and during the meantime, my symptoms never went away. I would drink tons of water & still feel awful and still thirsty. It felt even worse when I had an empty bladder verses full. And the irritation was only in my urethra, compared to having pain in my bladder with a UTI.

I finally saw the doc & he did an exam and said everything looked healthy & cultured my urine. Upon calling back, they told me there was nothing wrong w/me and that I must of had a gyno problem. Outragged b/c I know it wasn't a gyno problem, I went back to my regular & WONDERFUL doc w/my test results. (note: the doc I saw is known for treating women with IC and similar related issues as if they are crazy. He doesn't believe in the severity of the disease I guess. I just wish I would've known that in the 1st place.)

I was treated with urethritis the 1st time in my life. My doc said that cultures sometimes don't grow the bacteria b/c there could b such a small amt or that the culture period was too short (ex. 2 days vs. 4 days). I got on another antibiotic, Trimethoprim, and felt like a million bucks, except again it took 5 days to feel better. I told my doc the meds took 5 days, but he told me to continue the meds for the rest of the period (5 more days), b/c it'll come back if I don't take the whole amt, of course. I just figured that I had the infection for sooo long so of course it'd take awhile 2 get outa my system. I was prescribed a prophylactic course of it after the infection cured.

I was fine up until early July when symptoms came back again & I was still on the prophylactic! Had appt & the lab was closed so they wrote a script 2 get my urine cultured & one for Cirpo, but only to take after the culture. Well, I meant to get the culture done, but never went in b/c they were always closed with I got the chance. So for 3 weeks trying to go, all of a sudden the irritation & drymouth disappeared. So, I never took the antibiotic; thinking that I 'flushed' the bacteria outta my system. I was fine up until mid August the irritation came back, but on and off. I'd feel fine one day, and then maybe the next have symptoms. It changed daily and I finally went in 2 weeks ago b/c I started to feel not only urethral irritation, but bladder pain.

They did a culture, but during the wait, the urethritis bacteria multiplied and turned into a full blown UTI: extreme pain, blood & pus in urine; the whole 9 yards. I was given Cipro for 5 days. My bladder felt better after 3, but the irritation in my urethra persisted and was horrible mostly at night. I was given another round of Cipro. I still have the irritation, but feel good only if I chug at least 12 glasses of water a day. I'm making an appt 2 go back in b/c feeling my urethra is driving my up the wall and taking the best of me! I cry b/c it has put a burden on my family as well. The mental games the irritation has cause is the worst b/c I'm a person who loves life & I become so depressed and irritable b/c at times the irritation is sooooo severe. If anyone can give me advise, I'd appreciated it dearly.

And to all on here, I thank you for all the support you have given. Reading thread after thread I see so many amazing and strong people & wish you all the best! This is truly an amazing network of devoted and courageous men and women who have given hope to all.

ICN Member
    I had some of this to, and when I went on elivel it went away, along with the burning I was having too. I hope im spelling elivel right.

I am a mother to four great kids, I have been married for 11 years, I was married on 10-31-1998,lol
    I am a photogapher, and I love my work.

ICN Member
    Thanks for the tip, Jamie! I was so freaked bc the only option that I could think of was the urethral suppository, up until now. Do u have to take it regularly or did you just take it for a couples of days/weeks?

ICN Member
    I take it every night. But its not that much money and it worth trying. I know some think it just helps you sleep but ever since I went on it there has been a big diff. I am also on yaz, but I only went on that a month ago, and I was feel better from the what is bothering you before I went on yaz. I pray you find something that helps you.

I am a mother to four great kids, I have been married for 11 years, I was married on 10-31-1998,lol
    I am a photogapher, and I love my work.

ICN Member

Re: UTI, urethral irritation, IC?!

Hello-
    I have exactly the same symptoms. Did you ever find anything to help? Thank you!
    Tess

QUOTE=asgopt;535789]Hello everyone. I've known about this site for a while, as I often come here and read others' stories to try to understand what's going on with me.

I feel like quite an outsider because I don't fit the normal UTI symptoms, but I don't quite fit in with the IC symptoms either.

My story:

Basically, last year I had a bad UTI (E.Coli) following sexual intercourse with a new bf (STD's ruled out). Probably 2nd one I ever had. I was put on Macrobid, and while symptoms improved, they kept coming back and I kept going on and off Macrobid and Cipro. The problems continued for several months. Eventually, I was given low dose Macrobid to take after having sex, and the symptoms went away after a while.

For the last 5 months I haven't even been taking the Macrobid after sex and everything was dandy up until 2 months ago went I got another UTI (urine test confirmed). Finished two courses of Cipro. Back on Macrobid after sex. But it doesn't seem to be helping. Tried cranberry. Tried mannose. Nada.

I've heard that UTI's can trigger IC, or at least flares of IC, and I keep thinking I have IC or something like IC but I don't have all the symptoms for it.

- Diet-wise, nothing really bothers me except spicy food. It doesn't cause pain but it causes irritation.

- That's the thing: I don't feel pain. I've only felt pain the first two days of the UTI (and it sucked!). But I don't feel pain. I never take pain meds. I feel more of a constant irritation.

- The irritation I don't think is coming from my bladder. Or at least, some of it is, but most of it seems to be somewhere where I think my urethra is (not sure), or like in between vagina or urethra. Or at the top of my urethra. It's hard to pin-point.

- I don't have frequency. Sometimes I have urgency, but it's usually with a full bladder. And a full bladder actually makes the irritation go away.

- I am not relieved after using the restroom; in fact, the irritation is the worst right after I use the restroom.

- Any kind of sexual activity seems to cause the urethral irritation, as long as I get "turned on."

I was just wondering if anyone else had symptoms like these and what their prognosis was.

I've been looking around a lot and the thing that seems to be the closest in description is urethral syndrome. I especially think this might be the case because of my symptoms during being turned on...sounds like something's up with Skene Glands. But the problem is, I can't see the Skene Glands and don't really think they're swollen or infected (especially since I took 2 1-week courses of antibiotics).

I can't go see a urologist right now because I have no insurance, and unless I'm dying, I'm not getting a referral to one from my student health center.

I'm just posting here to make sure I'm not losing my mind or to at least gain the slightest clue as to what's going on.[/QUOTE]

ICN Member

Re: UTI, urethral irritation, IC?!

What worked for my particular case was a low dose antibiotic once a day for up to four months. Full out-of-pocket for a month's supply, depending on the prescription ranged from $3 to $15. To keep full infections from coming back, I've completely changed my diet and lifestyle, avoiding most processed foods & esp. sugar, which bacteria thrives off of, drinking plenty of water, getting adequate rest, and managing my STRESS. When you have that type of lingering problem, in which inflammation is the major culprit, keeping your body more alkaline is key. Please keep us updated and let us know what works for you.

Thread Information