Latest Blog Article: Interstitial Cystitis Treatment Guidelines Updated by AUA in Fall 2014

White flakes in urine

Sometimes I notice white flakey things in my urine. They look like skin!

What are these? Should I be worried? Could it be that my bladder lining is disintegrating?

I brought this up to my first Uro and he assured me that it was not my bladder lining. I noticed it when all this IC stuff first started and then I hadn't really paid attention to much until recently. The last few days I have been noticing them more.

Does anyone else have these and what are they? Is it normal?
    Diagnosed Sept. 2009 based on symptoms

Current Medications:

Elmiron 100 mg 3x per day (started Sept. 09)

Glucosamine w/MSM 1000 mg per day (started Oct. 2009) Added Glucosamine w/MSM and Chondroiton in Jan. 2010

Elavil 12 mg at bedtime (started Dec. 2009) Upped my dose to 25mg on Dec.14th) Lowered dose to 12 mg again on Dec. 28 due to the feeling that I was having slight retention

IC Diet

Ativan as needed .5 mg (this really seems to help with my symptoms)

Update as of Jan. 6th 2010

Stopping Elmiron and weaning off of Elavil

Started using 10 mg vaginal valium

Everyone will have some very small flakes in urine at times --- if it's something new or if the flakes are large, it can be a signal of infection.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

seems to be pretty common

This comes up every few months. I have had this a couple of times when I had bad flares, and for some reason, when I passed the skin-like stuff, I felt better afterwards.

I always thought it looked like the flakes of skin you get when a sun burn peels. Maybe it is like that, but the docs seem to think it is quite normal.
    Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
    IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
    IC Diet Website
    For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
    Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
    Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
    IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

ICN Member
    I had my annual appointment with my Urologist last week. I had to give a urine specimen. I looked in the cup when I was done and saw a couple of white flakes in the urine. I asked the lab tech about it and she said that it was trash, i.e., toilet paper. That was the first time that had happened to me, and I'd recently switched brands of TP. I'm defo switching back!
    Last edited by Tuckersmom; 02-12-2010 at 01:52 PM. Reason: To correct spelling error.
    Cathy

My sweet little doglet!

I get this too now and then. I just figured it was a normal type of shedding.

Vicki
    "The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have."

I've had this too. Before I knew I had IC, I noticed it alot when I was passing kidney stones and resulting infections. Now that the stones are gone, it seems to become more prevalent with really bad flares and infection. I always describe it to my doc as the lemonade effect because it looks so pulpy.
    Tried Elmiron, Elavil, Atarax, Botox...with no success and/or adverse reactions.

Current: self administered bladder installations (down to 2x a day per dr advice), Lamictal, Lexapro, Lorazepam, Zyrtec occasionally, Prelief, Tramadol, Oxycodone, Trimethoprim at bedtime, Gabapentin, Omeprazole, Flector patch, Tens Unit, warm baths, other forms of heat therapy, IC diet, Gluten/Wheat free diet, vitamins and Premarin because of hysterectomy and osteoporosis.

Have difficulty getting pain under control from IC and other health issues. I've pretty much accepted it as part of my life.

I am thankful for supportive family and friends. Not everyone is supportive all of the time, but I am so thankful for the support I do receive.

I pray for healing for all and for a cure.

I had them a couple months ago for about 3 days and I haven't had them since. Us IC patients are extra observant of our bladders and our urine so I'm sure we notice things that people with normal bladders do not. I guess it could it could be part of the bladder lining. It seems to me somthing that is thinning and weakening would probably shed. It it persists you should tell you doctor about it.

Take Care
    Keep The Faith
    Rebekah - Diagnosed with IC and Hunner's Ulcers in March 2009

Two Hunner's Ulcers were removed by laser surgery surgery Jan 15 , 2010

Proud Mother of Jeremy Jr. Born on Wed May 4, 2011

"For every door that is closed a new one is opened"

The Lord's Prayer

Our Father, who art in heaven,
    Hallowed be thy Name.
    Thy kingdom come.
    Thy will be done,
    On earth as it is in heaven.
    Give us this day our daily bread.
    And forgive us our trespasses,
    As we forgive those who trespass against us.
    And lead us not into temptation,
    But deliver us from evil.
    [For thine is the kingdom,
    and the power, and the glory,
    for ever and ever.]
    Amen.

ICN Member

Re: White flakes in urine

A great*exchange of information.

ICN Member

Re: White flakes in urine

I get that too - I would describe it as a white jelly type looking. I asked my doctor what is was & he said it was mucus from bladder. I will be discussing this with my urologist when I see him.

Thread Information