Latest Blog Article: New IC Awareness Month Contest - What's Your IC Story? $100 Prize

UTI? Have you ever had a negative urine analysis/dipstick test but positive culture?

My IC symptoms have been steadily getting worse since January (when I went back to school)...at first I figured it was stress, anxiety, sitting all day, etc. Then last week I started having lower back and thigh, pressure over my bladder and a constant feeling like I had to go, even when I knew I didn't. Frequency was always my main problem, not pain, but I didn't have absolutely constant frequency since I was diagnosed. Last Friday I went to the doctor (saw the nurse practitioner) and she said she thought I was having bladder spasms and that was causing the pain radiating to my back and thighs, so she gave me an RX for Urispas. Well, after the first pill my back and thigh pain was much better and now it's completely gone, however the frequency kept getting worse and worse and now it's burning somewhat. So, I called the office and they had me come in and do a urine sample. They said the urine analysis was negative, but they were sending it for a culture. They had me start an antibiotic anyway.

This is just really freaking me out that I might not have a UTI, but that for some reason my IC has gotten this bad this fast without me doing anything differently. I'm wondering if it's common for people with IC to have UTI symptoms without a positive UA or diptstick test. Maybe low numbers of bacteria cause symptoms in us that don't show up in those tests?
    ~Ashley

(LithEruiel is my name in Elvish...sort of.)

30 year old RN with IC, diagnosed September 2008. Diagnosed with PFD at some point later!

Current treatments/meds:
    Elmiron 100mg 3x a day
    Continuous birth control
    Diflucan 100mg or 150mg way too often for a normal human being
    Symicort & Pro-Air for asthma
    Synthroid 0.25 mcg for hypothyroid

Failed:
    Ditropan, Vesicare, Gelnique, Urispas, Benadryl, Hydroxyzine, Cystoprotek, Cysta-Q

ICN Member

es

Don't know if it is common or not but I have had a clear dip stick test and when the sample is cultured I am told I have a UTI.

ICN Member
    I had the same thing happen once. A negative dip stick test and then a week later got a call saying yes I had a UTI.
    Daily Meds:

IC-Meds
    Ditropan XL 5 BID, Elavil 50 QD, Elmiron 200 BID, Hydroxine 50 BID. As Needed: Bacofen 20, Prosed DS, Hydrocodone/Apap.

Other Meds
    Adderal 10 QD, Remmeron 37 QD (I take 1 1/2 of 25 mg)

With the help of my doctor moving my meds around a bit by increasing this and decreasing that I have found a good combination of meds (for now and I pray a long time from now).

How long did it take to feel better with antibiotics? I'm doing better today but I've also been taking AZO standard regularly, so I don't know if it's that or the antibiotics that is helping me.
    ~Ashley

30 year old RN with IC, diagnosed September 2008. Diagnosed with PFD at some point later!

Current treatments/meds:
    Elmiron 100mg 3x a day
    Continuous birth control

Failed:
    Ditropan, Vesicare, Gelnique, Urispas, Benadryl, Hydroxyzine, Cystoprotek, Cysta-Q

I usually feel better on UTI antiobiotics in one to two days

ICN Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LithEruiel View Post
    How long did it take to feel better with antibiotics? I'm doing better today but I've also been taking AZO standard regularly, so I don't know if it's that or the antibiotics that is helping me.
    I usually feel better by the second dose of antibiotics when I have a uti. If you don't feel better than make sure they do a sensitivity test with your culture to make sure you are taking the right medication for the uti.

I have tested negative with the dipstick test several times and have had the culture come back positive. IC makes it so difficult for many of us to distinguish between flares and UTI's. Thsi causes me to get my urine checked quite often. Sometimes it's just a low grade infection that the dipstick cannot pick up. Of with IC we our bladders are extra sensitive to begin with. Antibiotics usually take anywhere from 5-10 days before I get any relief. Occasionally they help me sooner but that is kinda rare. I often suffer from post-uti flares up to a week or two after the infection has gone away. Ashley, I hope your bladder calms down soon.

Hang In There
    TexasHoney

Let's keep praying for a cure.
    IC Symptoms began in early 2001
    Divorced : Sept 2002 (Partly due to IC)
    Diagnosed with IC in April 2004
    Most recent injury - Rupurtured Left Achilles Tendon
    Wed Jan 28 2009
    (Ice Storm Accident)
    2nd Achilles Tendon Surgery - May 28, 2009 after re-injury on May 17
    Other Injuries
    Broken Left Ankle - July 2004 ( fell off ladder)
    Broken Left Ankle (Again) - May 2005 (car accident)
    Sprained Left Ankle - November 2006 ( fell off my aunts porch on Thanksgiving Day)

CURRENT MEDS
    Elmiron, Pyridium

Thanks

They are doing a sensitivity test...well that is if they find anything at all. I think I have some degree of antibiotic tolerance...I don't feel better until sometime after they're done usually or I need a second course (not just with UTIs). It's really frustrating...I think it's funny how they say take the full prescription even if you feel better before it's done because I never feel better that fast.
    ~Ashley

Current treatments/meds:
    Elmiron 100mg 3x a day
    Continuous birth control

Failed:

Thread Information