Latest Blog Article: New Fact Sheets for Interstitial Cystitis Treatments, Diet and Flares
    ICN Member

Zanaflex/Baclofen/Valium

Hi,
    I was hoping people might share their experiences with zanaflex, baclofen or valium (suppositories) with me. I'm feeling a little lost. Last week I tried zanaflex for three days (took it once each night). Each time I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't go back to sleep for 2-3 hours. As soon as I stopped the zanaflex this went away. I felt it helped the feeling of pain/pressure a lot when I took it, but wore off by the morning and I wasn't sure if I felt even worse the next day. I was in a flare when I started it so it is so hard to say what was going on. I just know I felt crappy every day but better at night after I took it. Of course waking up for 2-3 hours each night wasn't good.

I have been looking into trying vaginal valium suppositories. Has anyone tried these? I talked to a pharmacist about these and he suggested valium/baclofen suppositories - has anyone tried these? He said that there are less side effects taking medication this way - and that certainly appeals to me.

I think one of my worries is that these muscle relaxants (baclofen or zaniflex) might create a rebound effect. But this is based on my one short experience with zanaflex and I don't know if it really did that or it just wore off and when it wore off I felt bad again. Has anyone experienced that kind of effect with these?

I know it's a lot of questions. I'm interested in any info you can share. Thanks! I've been in a bad flare for about a week - that I think is more PFD related than IC - but it's hard to tell. Kind of desperate to find something that helps.

Hi,

I've used a variety of suppositories, different combos until I found one that worked for me. The valium one's helped the most for me.

I would say you definitely have to be careful with where you get them made & how they are made because some meds can be irritating to your insides. That was what I found. So I had them made very special with no dyes/etc.

It's definitely helped some in my pfd & relaxing my muscles. Feel free to message me if you need any info.

I take Zanaflex and it helps me so much! I take 3 at night and I will sleep all night. I take one in the morning or at least some point in the day to keep the spams at bay. I don't know what I would do without this drug!
    Live life to the fullest day to day. The best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time!

DX: IC - November 2002 after hysterectomy
    Interstim implanted March 2006 - died May 2011
    Interstim replacement June 2011
    Meds: Pain meds, muscle relaxer, cystex, and marcaine bladder instills as needed.
    Docs: Pain management doc, urologist, family practice

I am on my 2nd day trying the baclofen vaginal suppositories, i like them so far. the only downside is that it causes a thick white discharge as the suppository dissolves. So far I am unsure if it is helping, gott try for a few more days. i am happy that there was no burning or stinging with the suppository so far.
    my name is Katie, 22 yr old mother & nursing student. I want to be a writer and midwife.

I have severe IC w/ hunner ulcers and urethritis with lesions ENDO, chronic pelvic pain, PFD adhesions, scoliosis, arthritis,migraines,asthma chronic pain.

Mother to a beautiful little girl. She has my heart and she's everything to me. Thinking positive and consciously untensing tense muscles helps a ton!!!! physical therapy also helps a lot.

ICN Member
    Thanks so much for the replies - really appreciate your sharing your experiences with me.

Katie87 - I hope the baclofen works for you.

Thread Information