Latest Blog Article: Is Interstitial Cystitis Caused by Anger? No!

Trigger point injections?

Can somone please explain or tell me where I can find information on trigger point injections?

What's in the injection?

What is it for?

Who does it?

Whare in the body do you receive the injections?

Thanks so much!
    Laser cervical surgery after abnormal pap (moderate dysplasia) in 3/2004
    UTIs since mid 2004
    Recurrent yeast infections since mid 2005
    IC dx 3/2006
    V V dx 12/2006
    Other conditions: IBS, allergies, dry eyes.

Current IC medications:
    Elavil (since 12/06) 10 mg;
    Cysta Q (since 5/07)
    Rephresh acid jel every 3 days
    D-mannose, fish oil, Calcium Citrate, Multivitamins & garlic pills (sometimes)
    Probiotics Femdophilus or other brands
    Gy-Na-Tren for yeast infections (started using it as needed since 2010)
    Other Rx:Omeprazole 20mg; benadryl as needed, Restasis

Past Meds and why I stopped them:
    Elmiron: March to September 2006: headaches
    Lyrica:2 weeks in 2006: headaches
    Cystoprotek: from Jan to April 2007: nausea

Femcon Fe (2/07 to 10/07):caused spotting/bleeding
    BCP:Loestrin (since Ocotber 2007) to stop spotting for 2 months. V V worse. Stopped the pill in Nov 07.

"Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it"

ICN Member
    One of my IC/pelvic pain doctors gave me trigger point injections in December. It was NOT Botox. It was a mix of lidocaine and sterioid. It was supposed to help with the internal muscles in spasm causing pain.

He used a speculum and a long needle to do them internally.

It was not painful when he did them. A little poke...

This treatment did not help me. It caused my IC/pelvic pain to flare and my pain level has been high since. That is not to say it couldn't help you. He has a few patients who benefit from it.

Good luck.
    24 year old female
    Diagnosed age 18 with IC
    conditions: IC, IBS-C, PFD, TMJ, a-typical facial pain

Currently taking:
    -2 Elmiron 100mg capsules 2x a day

Pelvic Floor Therapy 1x per month.
    Acupuncture 2x per week starting 1/18/10.

Hi,

I am currently under-going trigger point injections every 3-4 weeks. And I would have to say it has helped me in regards to my pelvic floor dysfunction. It has made it alot easier to void without feeling like I can't go. I use to struggle ALOT with the first void in the morning because I would have such a full bladder & not be able to go but a few drops at a time & weal stream, leaving me to have to sit, stand, sit stand etc...I also did not empty all the way leaving me to have to go more often. I also have horrible spasms that come after voiding. I have a really bad case of IC and it's been tough trying to find something to help.

Well since I started these injections, it has helped in this because I can empty better & my spasms are less. The only downside is the injection wears off and it really hasn't helped the internal burning I had in my bladder. I am thinking that that is pain I am just going to have to live with. But I just decided that I kind of have to treat the whole "picture." instead of just one issue.

Also the day of the procedure, I am like in ALOT of pain, I don't know if it's from the medicine soaking in & it just has to settle, but its rough. But the next day I do notice a difference. For me, it has been a huge help.

Basically from my own personal experience & from what I read they can be injected into the pelvic floor or even in the abdomen. My dr. said that they usually do the injections into the abdomen when you can kind of pinpoint where the pain is, but if its all over its kind of hard.

So that is why i'm having them done vaginally on the outside. I am not going to lie, the needle stick is quite painful & has to be injected slowly, so it burns going in. First time, I thought I was going to pass out, but I guess when you've been through alot of treatments like me, it becomes no big deal when your thinking in terms of just trying to get your life back.

I figure anything relief is better than nothing.

As far as what is used in the injections, it really depends on your dr in what they use. Mine are sodium bi carb, a longer acting lidocaine & a steroid(decadron)

I hope this helps

ICN Member
    Does anyone know a doctor who will do them in NJ. They all say they will but then when I get there they want to do a years worth of meds first...Meanwhile I am freaking dying and my PT really feels that they may help....They may not but what do I have to loose.

How far from queens are you?
    Jenn

IC, endometriosis, vulvodynia, PFD, kidney stones, migraines, chronic uti's, ovarian cysts, seizures.

Meds:
    Elmiron 300mg a day
    a day)
    Singulair 10mg a day
    Seasonale

Prevacid OTC
    Xanax-helps pain at times.

too many pills for my age!!!

"If it wasn't this it would be something else"

"There's a happiness to be gained from being able to accept that there are some things that cannot be changed."

I am like Danielle, I had no success with these. The doctor didn't wait until I was sedated enough and it hurt when the needles went in. The next day the pain was so bad I couldn't get out of bed and needed to go to ER. The Dr. who did them would give me nothing for pain only a muscle relaxant and told me I was no longer a candidate (duh). I hurt for so long from those - it was lidocaine and a steriod - I would NEVER do them again. I don't mean to scare anyone and glad some are having good results, but mine was a terrible experience.
    Teresa

We are not HUMAN BEINGS going through a temporary SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE. We are SPIRITUAL BEINGS going through a temporary HUMAN EXPERIENCE....so that we may become more SPIRITUAL.

Thread Information