Latest Blog Article: New Bladder Pain Treatment In Development - IC Clinical Trial

Thread: Coconut Oil

Thumbs up Coconut Oil

I got a VV flare from the Estrace cream and I have used coconut oil (the one I have is organic and with no other ingredients) and it helped a lot. I cant believe it worked so fast. I read in another post and decided it to try it. I am really impressed.

Really coconut oil? What does this help with exactly if I may ask?
    Your Friend,
    Michelle

Diagnosed: 10/16/09

Elmiron, 100mg 2x per day
    Imipramine, 10 mg per day
    Diazepam 10 mg for sleep
    Zyrtec
    Zovia, birth control (ongoing-no periods)
    Probiotics
    Hydrocodone, 2 pills a day (at any time of day)

The raw feeling and the burning in the vulvar skin, like when you cant ever wear jeans or sit for a long time. I was amazingly impressed because I know when I have these flare-ups it just takes months to get better and I was afraid I was never going to get better anymore. I could not even wear pants yesterday and today it is already better. Really good stuff. Sometimes the simplest things work with this disease, isn't it?

It melts quickly on the hands, so work fast. I had some problems in that area when going through Menopause and sure wish I had known about Coconut Oil back then. I can see how it would have helped. I used to use hand cream.
    Sharon

Shopping??? Did someone mention shopping? I'll get my hat... ;-)

Where I can be found most days.

Link to the ICN Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Link to the IC Diet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

I wish I had known it too. I suffered so much with this VV before.

Good to hear that. Is the coconut oil that comes in a jar? Or is it more liquid like olive oil?
    I want to give it a try... But I just ordered MSM gel that works great, so I dont know if " too many things"...
    I also read a while ago that coconut oil has antigungal properties. If thats the case, it'll be great.
    Laser cervical surgery after abnormal pap (moderate dysplasia) in 3/2004
    UTIs since mid 2004
    Recurrent yeast infections since mid 2005
    IC dx 3/2006
    V V dx 12/2006
    Other conditions: IBS, allergies, dry eyes.

Current IC medications:
    Elavil (since 12/06) 10 mg;
    Cysta Q (since 5/07)
    Rephresh acid jel every 3 days
    D-mannose, fish oil, Calcium Citrate, Multivitamins & garlic pills (sometimes)
    Probiotics Femdophilus or other brands
    Gy-Na-Tren for yeast infections (started using it as needed since 2010)
    Other Rx:Omeprazole 20mg; benadryl as needed, Restasis

Past Meds and why I stopped them:
    Elmiron: March to September 2006: headaches
    Lyrica:2 weeks in 2006: headaches
    Cystoprotek: from Jan to April 2007: nausea

Femcon Fe (2/07 to 10/07):caused spotting/bleeding
    BCP:Loestrin (since Ocotber 2007) to stop spotting for 2 months. V V worse. Stopped the pill in Nov 07.

"Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it"

Angeles, the coconut oil comes in a jar. Usually when you buy it, it's solid, but very quickly after you scoop it out, it turns to liquid, so be careful to avoid dripping oil all over. I have been using this for vaginal atrophy, and also as a lube. You can also cook with it, and treat your hair with it (but if you do this a little goes a long way!) The smell is heavenly!

ICN Member

Re: Coconut Oil

What brands did you guys try? I bought de la cruz coconut oil just to try it, it is a very small tub. It has BHT and fragrance and since im sensitive to everything, ive been hesitant to use it.

ICN Member

I am actually eating coconut oil, 1 spoon once or twice a day. It should help with bladder as well. Not to mention how good it helps as lubricant.

ICN Member

I agree 100%! I cannot believe what a difference coconut oil makes. It's incredibly soothing,almost from the get go! I used it on vacation last week, swimming in a salt water pool. I was terrified. I applied it several times a day, hoping to make a barrier between me and the water, then when done swimming, I'd shower, and then slather again in coconut oil. Also amazing for the rest of your body! Love this natural alternative!

Pure coconut oil is amazing for so many things...vaginal dryness, lubricant, skin moisturizer, hair conditioner, shaving, sunscreen, mosquito repellant, digestion, in smoothies, in coffee...the list is endless. I use it regularly as a skin moisturizer as I have sensitive skin and I can guarantee within hours of applying it to an irritated area the irritation is gone or at least under control.
    I use Tropical Traditions as its pure 100% coconut, and I mostly approve of their harvesting practices. They also guarantee their products....and they're always running sales.
    (\__/)
    (o.O )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. He's on his way to world domination.

ICN Member

The first coconut oil I tried was refined and organic. It caused me to have breakouts and ended up smelling unpleasent whenever I would use it. I switched to a non-refined organic virgin brand and the difference is huge. It smells like coconut cookies, is a good lubricant and does not make me break out. I use it daily on my lady parts, body and to treat my hair once a week. I haven't used it for sexual purposes yet because my hubby uses condoms :-\ but I would make sure you get the unrefined coconut oil.

Thread Information