Latest Blog Article: New Fact Sheets for Interstitial Cystitis Treatments, Diet and Flares
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Raging UTI! Need to know if UTI more severe due to DMSO?

I had my second DMSO instill on Monday. My first DMSO treatment seemed to go well. I was instilled on Monday and Wednesday - Friday didn't have much symptomology, then Saturday the burning returned. Had my 2nd instill Monday and by Tuesday, the burning began, but it was not different, but did notice a slight increase in frequency. Then this afternoon, I noticed my bladder burning pretty bad, then when I voided, the urine was typical of my UTI's, cloudy and with odor. Ever since then, my bladder is spasming and the burning is intense. I have had UTI's before, but this one seems more intense. Those of you with history of UTI prior to their DMSO treatments, did you have UTI"s during treatment, and were they more intense than prior to your treatments?

ICRN
    Roseann

When you are cathed there is always an increase for infections..
    Hugs
    Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
    Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
    Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
    Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
    Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

I have only had one DMSO treatment and I had it at the sametime as a Cysto/hydro under general. I did get a raging UTI, I have a hystory of UTI's and retetion the tratment sent my retention through the roof and i got a UTI but it was not for a week or so afterwards, but I just figured it was from being cathed and the retention. If my retention get gets bad I almost always end up with a bad UTI.

Don't know if this helps you but it is what happened to me, but I would do it again because even with the UTI I was in less bladder pain after this treatment.

I have had 2 rounds of DSMO and Elmiron instills and never got a UTI from it. It does sound like you have a UTI and you need to get your urine tested.I have had UTI's since being diagnosed and it was horrible!!!

I wonder if you have developed a Latex Allergy as well. I developed one and thought for sure I had the worst UTI of my life. I don't, but btwn the doctor and pharmacist, they figured out what was happening. Now that I have switched to Latex Free caths, I am doing a lot better. No more peeing razors for me! ( I am doing home instills now, but was doing them in office for some time).

Skyn
    IBS diagnosed - 1987
    Severe IC diagnosed - July 10, 2009 (Sister diagnosed 2004)

IC/IBS WILL NOT DEFEAT ME OR DEFINE ME

Allergic to: Penicillan, Imitrex, Levbid, Loestrin, Detrol, Cipro, Morphine, Dilaudid, Pryridium Plus, Fentyl,Toradol, Neurontin, Zoloft, Amitriptyline, , Elmiron, Atarax, Levaquin and most generics.

Tried: Dye Free Benadryl (nausea) and Prelief

Trying: Valium Suppositories, Vitamin E Suppositories, Estrace Cream, Marcaine Home Instills and Lutera.

Emergency Flare Meds: Percocet (pain management), Valium (anxiety management) and Pyridium (before installations).

What's working: Cystoprotek, Shaklee Pro/Prebiotics and DH Aloe Vera.

* Stay with me God the night is dark, the night is cold. My little spark of courage dies. The night is long. Be with me God and make me strong.

ICN Member
    ICRN- I'm in the same boat. I just had 3 instills of hep/bisod/lido and the 3rd one caused me to get a UTI. I think it was because the instills were too close together and my urethra didn't have time to heal in between being cathed. It would be a good idea to get it checked. Hope you feel better soon!
    dawn

Uti #2

Well, as you all know, we know our bodies and well, and since I am the UTI queen, LOL, it was a UTI. Well, I took four days of antibiotics and had my third instill on Monday. I did a voiding UA prior to the instill and she said there were no cells to be seen that I had "the cleanest pee she'd seen all day". Well, they cultured it and I received a call yesterday that I need to take 5 more days of antibiotics. I made sure to ask for Diflucan also, as I believe that I am in the beginning of getting a yeast infection as well, and secondary as prophylactic for 9 days of antibiotics. What dissapoints me the most, is that I felt the best two days after my first instill and wish I felt that way again. The burning is unbelievable, it is as if I never had these three instills. I have a history of urethral stenosis and lately had significant urethral tenderness & sensitivity. What I believe is happening, is that the catheterizations are what is irritating the urethra and causing the UTI's. I am wondering if taking a break from the instills would be appropriate, or asking that they be done 2 weeks apart when this first round is done would be a good idea? Would appreciate your feedback and insights.

Latex

Skynard, I was tested about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago for Latex allergy and it was negative. I do have a sensitivity to the gloves when I wear them, so I have used only Latex & powder free for years. It is a thought however, that maybe the Latex is irritating the urethra and causing the UTI's. I will ask the MD on Monday.

I hope your UTI clears up quickly. That's one of risks involved in doing instills. I have been trying to wean myself from them since early this year. It would be a good idea to layoff of the intills until your infection is gone.

Hang In There
    TexasHoney

Let's keep praying for a cure.
    IC Symptoms began in early 2001
    Divorced : Sept 2002 (Partly due to IC)
    Diagnosed with IC in April 2004
    Most recent injury - Rupurtured Left Achilles Tendon
    Wed Jan 28 2009
    (Ice Storm Accident)
    2nd Achilles Tendon Surgery - May 28, 2009 after re-injury on May 17
    Other Injuries
    Broken Left Ankle - July 2004 ( fell off ladder)
    Broken Left Ankle (Again) - May 2005 (car accident)
    Sprained Left Ankle - November 2006 ( fell off my aunts porch on Thanksgiving Day)

CURRENT MEDS
    Elmiron, Pyridium

ICN Member
    ICRN,
    I agree that it would be a good idea to wait two weeks between. I am starting up instills again tomorrow, and I plan on doing the same thing. Last time, I felt pushed to do them too close to each other, knowing that for me it was not really the best way to go. This time, I will be my own advocate as far as appt. times. I also called ahead and asked for an antiobiotic, just one dose, before the instill, as I've read others have done on the forum, and I asked for the cath to be coated with lidocaine before starting.
    Best of luck on your next round of instills. I know what you mean about not wanting to give up the initial feeling they give you. I felt exactly the same when I realized I had a UTI. It was frustrating to go from great to infection. But I'm hoping for success for both of us with the next round.
    dawnja

ICRN, How are you doing? I hope you uti has cleared up by now.
    TexasHoney

Let's keep praying for a cure.
    IC Symptoms began in early 2001
    Divorced : Sept 2002 (Partly due to IC)
    Diagnosed with IC in April 2004
    Most recent injury - Rupurtured Left Achilles Tendon
    Wed Jan 28 2009
    (Ice Storm Accident)
    2nd Achilles Tendon Surgery - May 28, 2009 after re-injury on May 17
    Other Injuries
    Broken Left Ankle - July 2004 ( fell off ladder)
    Broken Left Ankle (Again) - May 2005 (car accident)
    Sprained Left Ankle - November 2006 ( fell off my aunts porch on Thanksgiving Day)

CURRENT MEDS
    Elmiron, Pyridium

Sad to say things went from bad to worse

Well, the UTI did not clear up, I had a voided urine prior to treatment #3, they said that it was clear as a bell. This was Monday the 7th, Tuesday the 8th, they call me and tell me my urine culture grew out EColi and I needed to take 5 more days of antibiotics. I requested Diflucan for precaution, but it was a good thing I did, for two days later, I had a horrible yeast infection. I had terrible vaginal discharge, went to the Gyn this Monday and they said it was not bacterial (although not to gross you all out, but it was green in color) that it was yeast. She gave me another Diflucan. I had my 4th treatment on Tuesday. The nurse asked me if I had felt any positive results from the treatments thus far, I told her that I felt best the first week, and that at this point with the burning and discomfort in my perineum, I truly could not say if it was effective or not. I know she was disappointed, but I only spoke the truth. I am burning again today, and I believe it to be a combination of the urine, and the irritation from the yeast, but thus far, do not have any UTI symptoms.

One thing I have noticed though since treatment #4, my urine seems to be very clear these past three days. It is surprisingly clear, since my urine is usually quite yellow. My voids seem to be slightly increased, but not significantly. I must say though that so far, it has not been a good experience and I am not sure if this will get any better and if I should seek different treatment after the 6 treatments are done.

Guess I truly need to take this one day and one treatment at a time!

ICRN

i knoe how uncomfortable you must be. Prior to my diagnosis when I was with the Urologist I went from one URI to another.They did culture them and they were positive.Mosty e coli.Has your DR. tried you on Septra? It is effective but has sulfa in it and not everyboday can take it. Feel better soon.

ICN Member
    nottoc4,
    Did your doc give you any ideas about why and how e-coli is present? I was just told over the phone by the uro nurse that my last uti was e-coli also, and it was right after an instill.
    thanks,
    dawnja

The rectum and vagina are so close If your panties ride up you can have microscopic poo germs on the panties and get contaminated. E coli naturally lives in the rectum and some of us get contaminated easily.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information