Latest Blog Article: New Bladder Pain Treatment In Development - IC Clinical Trial Seeks Women with Moderate To Severe Bladder Pain

Does 25mg of vistaril cause weight gain?

I just started vistaril and am wondering if the low dose (25mg) will cause weight gain. I would love to give this a chance, but have already gained 30 lbs due to other medical problems. Can't affort another gain. Anybody on low dose that has NOT gained weight? Thanks

I gained weight taking Elavil, but not with Atarax, which is similar to Vistaril. :-) Even if I did, I wouldn't give up the Atarax for anything. It literally saved my sanity and gave me my life back.
    Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
    IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
    IC Diet Website
    For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
    Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
    Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
    IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

ICN Member
    Oh my goodness I just got on here to post the exact same question about Vistaril...and I take 25 mg too. I don't think Atarax caused me to gain wait, but I think Vistaril has...plus I had different side effects with both...Atarax made me sleepy driving while Vistaril normally does not (unless I just didn't get enough sleep or took my medicine too late at night). I'd also like to know if anyone gained weight with Vistaril.
    Diagnosed with endo Feb 2005
    Diagnosed with IC Dec 2005

Currently taking:
    60 mg Cymbalta
    Seasonique birth control

Ps

I take 75 mg of Atarax...interesting that people have had different reactions to both medications. I will be interested to hear if others have had this same problem.
    Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
    IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
    IC Diet Website
    For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
    Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
    Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
    IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

ICN Member
    I take 50 mgs. of Atarax at bedtime. No weight gain or other issues for me, thank God.
    Cathy

My sweet little doglet!

I take 50mg of hydroxyzine (vistaril). I've been wondering about it because the past few weeks I have gained weight but I'm not sure why. I'm not sure if I can blame it on hydroxyzine. I'm on Elavil but it is an extremely low dose so I don't think I can blame it on that. I'm not willing to try giving the hydroxyzine up, though. Because after four months it is supposed to really help. It helps a little now, but the research I've read says to give it four months to reach its potential.
    36 Years old, Live in Bay Area, California.

Update! Feeling much better these days and can usually live my life! I've had severe IC symptoms since Nov '08, and I've had treatments since June '09. I'm so thankful for the info on this forum to help me get to a place where I can feel okay.

Pelvic pain began July 2008. Urinary frequency began in November of 2008. IC Doctor says I'm one of the worst frequency patients he has had.

Main symptoms: Frequency, burning pain. Sometimes I feel I have to go even after I empty my bladder. Completed 8 months of physical therapy.

Currently on: IC Diet, Elavil (30mg), Elmiron since June '09 (500mg/day).

Previously tried and quit: one series of six instillations, Neurontin, Ditropan, Oxytrol, electric stimulation to the pelvic floor, Desert Harvest Aloe, Cystoprotek and Flomax, Hydroxyzine (50mg), Alesse Birth control (this helped my period flares when my symptoms used to be bad), PTNS (I think this helped).

No longer active
    I have been on Atarax for 16 years.

I can take 100 mg's 3 times daily if needed.

I dislike doing that though , as it speeds up my heart rate.

No benefits for My IC with this medication.

Thread Information