Latest Blog Article: Interstitial Cystitis May Effect One Out Of Every 26 People In The USA
    ICN Member

coccydynia? (Tailbone pain.)

Has anyone else suffered from coccydynia, (tailbone pain) as well as the pfd and other complications that come with IC? I go to a PT once a week for high tone pfd and somewhere along the line I've developed excruciating tailbone pain that my PT can fix but it always comes back in a few days. I'm praying for a more permanent solution.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

have had an xray to see if your tail bone is broken? I neer knew mine was until I had the stim put in. I had always had tail bone pain. Min is bosted and in the wrong position. I also have PFD, IC, and Sacralititis that affects that region of the body.
    'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Yes! I had terrible tailbone pain. And movement like walking made it worse. It was from my pelvic floor dysfunction. It turns out a lot of those tight muscles actually anchor around the tailbone so if they are tight, it will actually pull on it. Do you have the book Heal Pelvic Pain? Or A Headache in the Pelvis? Do those stretches daily and two nice and warm baths per day. This will help to release those muscles a little (if it is the same problem as I had, not totally sure). And to really get rid of it, I needed my PT to teach me how to do internal myofascial release. I did that daily until it went away.
    36 Years old, Live in Bay Area, California.

Update! Feeling much better these days and can usually live my life! I've had severe IC symptoms since Nov '08, and I've had treatments since June '09. I'm so thankful for the info on this forum to help me get to a place where I can feel okay.

Pelvic pain began July 2008. Urinary frequency began in November of 2008. IC Doctor says I'm one of the worst frequency patients he has had.

Main symptoms: Frequency, burning pain. Sometimes I feel I have to go even after I empty my bladder. Completed 8 months of physical therapy.

Currently on: IC Diet, Elavil (30mg), Elmiron since June '09 (500mg/day).

Previously tried and quit: one series of six instillations, Neurontin, Ditropan, Oxytrol, electric stimulation to the pelvic floor, Desert Harvest Aloe, Cystoprotek and Flomax, Hydroxyzine (50mg), Alesse Birth control (this helped my period flares when my symptoms used to be bad), PTNS (I think this helped).

ICN Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger_gal View Post
    have had an xray to see if your tail bone is broken? I neer knew mine was until I had the stim put in. I had always had tail bone pain. Min is bosted and in the wrong position. I also have PFD, IC, and Sacralititis that affects that region of the body.
    All my pelvic medical imaging showed no abnormalities. I think it's from the high tone pfd. I just wish to god I could do something effective and long term for it because this excruiating pain coupled with ic is more than I can handle.

ICN Member
    Quote Originally Posted by musiclover View Post
    Yes! I had terrible tailbone pain. And movement like walking made it worse. It was from my pelvic floor dysfunction. It turns out a lot of those tight muscles actually anchor around the tailbone so if they are tight, it will actually pull on it. Do you have the book Heal Pelvic Pain? Or A Headache in the Pelvis? Do those stretches daily and two nice and warm baths per day. This will help to release those muscles a little (if it is the same problem as I had, not totally sure). And to really get rid of it, I needed my PT to teach me how to do internal myofascial release. I did that daily until it went away.
    The tragic thing here is I've read both books see a Pt regularly and do all the stretches for the past 4 months. Yet my tailbone has decided to break down now to the point where every single position is agony.

ICN Member
    I hope that your doctors find something else wrong that they can help with.

I had tailbone pain, years ago, from back-unfriendly exercises in high school PE, and before that in elementary school from getting kicked off the slide by a classmate. I'm not trying to be funny; I was tiny and it hurt for years.

However, I'll offer that ultrasound treatments from my chiropractor helped an awful lot. It's a little embarrassing having someone do ultrasound massage on your posterior but you just have to find a tech who cares enough to do it right. Just another option to keep in mind.
    "When fear seizes, change what you are doing..." --Jean Craighead George, Julie of the Wolves

--Dx: IC, PFD, V, PN irritation, yeast, and "IBS-like symptoms" that includes a lot of difficulty with gluten...in that order. Pleased to report that "it's something new every day" includes great things as well as painful things.

ICN Member
    Hi all - I'm new to the boards and this is my first post - although I've been viewing them for well over 3 years now. It's always comforting to see you aren't alone - even with off the wall stuff that makes me think I'm nuts sometimes, haha!

I couldn't understand why I had so much tailbone pain - I had bruised it when I was little but haven't had pain for years. I started getting the pain when I was in the car, when I sat too long, when I exercised and ESPECIALLY after I have sex. Feels like the muscles are trying to rip from the bone! After talking with Dr. Hanno, he agreed that it's all related to the pfd/vulvodynia/ic problems that I have. My tens unit helps the most, but the minute it's off - the pain is back. Stretching often helps and I'm also on Soma which helps a little - it's always there, though. Anyway, that's a long way of saying you aren't alone - and if you find a cure all, let me know!

ICN Member
    Quote Originally Posted by musiclover View Post
    I'm not able to afford those books but suffer horrible tailbone pain which PT did not relieve. Is it possible for you to describe the stretches that helped you? I would be very grateful. Thank you.

Thread Information