Latest Blog Article: Interstitial cystitis is more of an injury to the bladder

How long does it take for a liquid to reach your bladder?

Someone said 45 minutes? Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find the search function. I want to experiment with herbal tea to see what I can tolerate. Thanks in advance

My guess is this varies somewhat from one person to the next. For me it usually hits my bladder causing misery within two hours after drinking it.

Vicki
    "The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have."

Red face

Thanks Vicky! That's helpful. I like your painting, by the way. I paint too, but my stuff is more cartoon-ish.

Hi Talula

Usually teas hit me pretty quickly. Green or black tea will hit me within 20 minutes. It isn't really the liquid reaching your bladder as much as the stuff in it.

What type of tea are you considering?
    Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
    IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
    IC Diet Website
    For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
    Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
    Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
    IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

As far as tea, licorice and peppermint are especially useful when I get nauseous. I pretty much figure ginger is out I also like valerian root, it helps me get to sleep. There are some womens brews for cramps, I have steered clear of the green teas even though their one of my fave

If I accidentally get a liquid that's a trigger for me, it causes pain within 15 to 20 minutes. I'm very careful about drinking anything, especially when I'm away from home. I suggest caution with licorice --- too much can strip your body of some essential nutrients.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

Hutto, Texas (30 miles or so outside of Austin)
    Usually within 15-20 minutes for me. i was at a seminar yesterday and I can allow myself one small cup of coffee daily, I had this brand (Seattle Best) and that was a hugh no-no (so along with Starbucks I can add this one as well).

I really like Chamomile tea. Twinnings has a Chamomile, Vanilla, and Honey flavor that is so good.

One thing I have found the hard way, however, is that some mint teas are actually black tea flavored with mint.

I always read the labels now to be sure it is pure peppermint. :-)
    Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
    IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
    IC Diet Website
    For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
    Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
    Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
    IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

ICN Member

Fast Reaction

Yes I seem to have a quick reaction. I was at a friends house and she offered me some tea. I told her I can have peppermint. She served me the tea and I thought it tasted really awful--I thought boy this is some bad peppermint tea. Within about 15 minutes I started having pain--and the pain lasted about 3 days. Poor thing I think she just made a mistake and gave me something else. Next time I'll bring my own tea bags--lesson learned.

Thanks for the info everyone. I didn't know that about licorice. Chamomile and peppermint are great, love those. I am definetely going to check those labels now though. I have been going crazy, I drank a lot of coffee before all this happened (like anywhere from 2-5 cups a day.) and now when I quit drinking it I feel like hell. Headaches, vomiting, definetely have a caffiene addiction. I have been letting myself have one cup in the morning and am trying to wean myself off it slowly. I cant handle the low acid coffee. Something in it makes me really really sick to my stomach. I used to drink diet soda and have given that up. Giving up spicy food was awful awful awful. Everything I like, I have had to give up. I have been sick for 45 days now. I get to see the uro in less than 10 days Woo Hoo

Thread Information