Latest Blog Article: IC Awareness Daily Fact #21 - Anxiety and IC Are Strongly Related Conditions

Pain in right side of back after holding urine....

So, I have a new issue that has happened a lot the last couple week. I wake up first thing in the morning after not having pee'd in several hours. (I have to go BAD!). The right side of my lower back aches terribly! Could the IC be causing this? A little while after I pee, the pain is gone. What could that be? It scares me that it may be my kidney, but I really don't know...

Any thoughts?
    ~Valery~
    Dx with IC 3/2009 - Cysto w/Hydro
    Meds: Elmiron (400mg), Atarax (10mg), Elavil (20mg), Pyridium (as needed)

Please be sure to let your doctor knows about this. It's very probably the IC, but your doctor may want to verify that.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

I get this same issue... if my bladder is very full, I get back pain in addition to bladder pain. In my case, my doctor has ruled out kidney involvement and I know it is just referred pain from my IC... so it is definitely possible it's your IC acting up as well. However, like Donna says and like I did, please do tell your doc about it just to be sure.
    Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
    *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
    *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
    *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

No longer active
    I had a KUB Ct Scan and it showed my Kidneys were fine.
    They even did Urine and blood and stool tests.

I ache too when I am in bed at night. I started putting a blue ice freezer pack inside my pajama's underneath , on the outside of the underware. That feels so good.

Ice for Me is Better.

Heat makes me sweat , and itch , and makes Me swell up , and turn the skin red.

Thanks for the info! I will be calling the doctor today to get an appt.
    ~Valery~
    Dx with IC 3/2009 - Cysto w/Hydro
    Meds: Elmiron (400mg), Atarax (10mg), Elavil (20mg), Pyridium (as needed)

LolaDoggie
    I've been getting kidney pain with my IC flares the last few years. I have had a few confirmed kidney infections during that time as well. I did a reflux test and they didn't see any urine going back into my kidney. They can't tell me what it is beyond the IC and I've been told not to hold it. Sometimes my bladder isn't bugging me and I don't go pee as often. But even on good days I try to empty my bladder every few hours, whether my bladder is bugging me or not. I guess my advice is what I was told, don't try to hold it too long.

Same problem, same tests. Mine started after having kidney stones and hasn't left since the IC diagnosis in July. It acts up if I try to hold it for too long. Please check with your doctor about this and make sure you are drinking plenty of water. I notice when I don't get enough, it acts up then as well. I use the stick on heating pads that go on over you undies. Seems to calm everything down. I have also used Burts Bees muscle ache cream - goes right to the problem!

Wishing you well. Please keep us posted on your progress.

God Bless.

Skyn
    IBS diagnosed - 1987
    Severe IC diagnosed - July 10, 2009 (Sister diagnosed 2004)

IC/IBS WILL NOT DEFEAT ME OR DEFINE ME

Allergic to: Penicillan, Imitrex, Levbid, Loestrin, Detrol, Cipro, Morphine, Dilaudid, Pryridium Plus, Fentyl,Toradol, Neurontin, Zoloft, Amitriptyline, , Elmiron, Atarax, Levaquin and most generics.

Tried: Dye Free Benadryl (nausea) and Prelief

Trying: Valium Suppositories, Vitamin E Suppositories, Estrace Cream, Marcaine Home Instills and Lutera.

Emergency Flare Meds: Percocet (pain management), Valium (anxiety management) and Pyridium (before installations).

What's working: Cystoprotek, Shaklee Pro/Prebiotics and DH Aloe Vera.

* Stay with me God the night is dark, the night is cold. My little spark of courage dies. The night is long. Be with me God and make me strong.

Right side pain too!

I have been so worried lately about the pain I have been getting. It sounds like yours too. I can't take Elmiron right now b/c I don't have insurance and it's 300.00 for a scrip with no insurance where I live. With out it, I'm absolutly miserable. I barely eat anymore, and when I do, it's such bland foods b/c I'm trying everything I can not to make the pain worse. After I wake in the morning I have such deep seated pain its unreal. Its a burning pressure in my pelvic/bladder region, and a pinching pressure on my right side like around what feels to be my ovary, and in my back around my right kindey. I've been getting a lot of kidney pain as well. It makes me worry about it being something else, but if I think back to when I did have insurance it's about the same type of pain. I just had it too good when I had insurance because I could take all the necessary medications, and didn't really need pain meds. Now that's all I can afford is pain meds, and with out them at this point in time, I can't even get off the couch it hurts so bad. I have an appt with my doctor on 11/4 thank goodness, something has to change! I feel your pain hun and I'm so sorry! This is such a hard condition to deal with. Best of luck!
    Suffering:
    Diagnosed with IC in April 2009.
    Fibromyalgia
    IBS
    Anxiety / Depression since childhood

Meds that have helped:
    Neurontin 100mg 1-2 daily
    Vesicare 10mg
    Elmiron x3 daily
    Vicoden 500mg as needed
    Tramadol 50mg as needed
    Myralax & Probiotics

Trying to find hope in every little thing!
    A new day brings a new opportunity and no one
    knows what's around the corner next!

It could be a kidney infection brewing. I had the same type of pain last time I had a kidney infection. It wouldn't hurt to checked out for one. Take care.
    Natalie

I am multi-diseased with : MS, IC, IBS, and PDF

Diagnosed with IC - May 2006 IC symptoms : burning and frequency

Diagnosed with MS - March 2004 MS symptoms numbness in arms and legs, muscle weakness, major lack of bladder control and increasing bowel control problems. I wear Depend underwear 24/7.

Diagnosed with IBS - Sept 23, 2008

Diagnosed with PFD - Oct 1, 2008

Divorced Oct. 2009

IC Meds

Elmiron
    Hydroxyzine
    Elavil
    Lortab for pain
    Uristat

MS Meds:

Betaseron
    Novantrone
    Corticosteroids
    Skelaxin ( muscle relaxer)
    Neurototin for pain

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." -John 3:16

The Serenity Prayer:
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

I have the same problem, only on the LEFT side. I got all tests done: negative. Now we assume it comes with IC and holding back the urine! But I guess it is important to rule out other possibilities like reflux or kidneys...

Looks like you are not alone!
    Good luck!

Thread Information