Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    No longer active

Elmiron > Sore Throat*

I took Donna's advice and now open the Elmiron Capsule and empty it out into a small glass of water.

It still gives me a sore throat.

Why does it do this ? Does it contain something that is irritating to the throat / esophagus ? A perticular ingredient ?

I had to go by a bottle of Chloraseptic (sp?) spray and that doesn't help much either.

What can I do next ? Any suggestions ?

I know the capsule itself can be a problem for some people. I suggest you give your doctor a call and ask. I know some people purchase empty capsules and transfer the elmiron to one of those.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

No longer active

Thankyou Donna*

I'll call the doctor as soon as they open at 9 am.

My throat just feels raw.

I never knew you could buy empty capsules ?

I wonder what is in the Elmiron capsule that would be irritating ?

Thanks for your Help Donna , I appreciate it alot.

I am so new to all of this.

It's probably a good idea to bring this to the attention of your doctor.

Could it be possible it's not the Elmiron? There's a lot of people with on-going sore throats where I am, my poor hubby being one of them.

Vicki
    "The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have."

No longer active

Sore throat

I haven't had a sore throat in years.

As soon as I took my 1st. Elmiron I had a sore throat with in 30 to 45 minutes.

So I am pretty certain it is the medication.

The soreness goes away about 4 to 5 hours later , when it's time for the next capsule , as soon as I take it , it's back again.

It must have something in it that irritates the esophagus and that backs into the throat. (????)

Will call the nurse in abit when they open , and I'll ask.

Hi Glenda,

Perhaps maybe taking Atarax along with the Elmiron would help? Dr. Parsons lecture here on the ICN talks about countering some side effects of the Elmiron with Atarax. Maybe something to discuss with your doctor?

Jill

Oops sorry Glenda, I just noticed in another post that you're already on Atarax. I hope this side effect gets better. How frustrating that all must be for you! I hope things turn around for you soon

Jill

No longer active

Sore Throat

I just talked to the nurse , and she said to just gargle with warm salt water , that is one of the unpleasant side affects from this medication.

Oh good heavens , How am I going to tollerate a sore throat.

Any other idea's to eliminate the raw sensation ?

The nurse was Not helpfull at all.

She said I have to stay on this medication if I want to get better.

I don't know what to make of any of this , just yet*

Glenda,

Have you tried just opening the capsule and putting it on your tongue then drinking water and swallowing it?

When I was taking it the capsules were making me really sick to my stomach. So that's what I did. Then for a while I was doing instills of Elimiron. Dr. Rackley at the CC claims that by the time it gets to your bladder taking it orally you only get 3% of it that way so you might as well put it where it needs to go full strength. Right in the bladder.

Also, I swear by salt garggling for a sore throat.

hugs and blessings
    MARY

Serenity isn't freedom from the storm.....it's peace within the storm.....I had my sick bladder removed Jan 7th 2010.....Even though I had many complications.......I would do it again in a moment.....I have no regrets......Sunflowers in memory of my sister who passed March 14th 2010......they were her favorite....

No longer active
    No I haven't tried emptying it out on my tongue.

I think that would directly irritate it even more wouldn't it ?

Surely there has to be a way to eliminate the sore throat ?

Even as a kid , warm salt water gargles never helped.

I did try a small bowl of vanilla ice cream , that made it feel better , slightly.
    But I don't need ice cream , I am allergic to Milk.

No longer active

Doctor called*

I got a phone call from the Uro Doctor tonight , he said to decrease the 3 Capsules down to 2 Capsules daily , and see if my side effects improve , if Not decrease it to 1 capsule daily , if I am still feeling Ill , Stop the Elmiron and come in for an appt. and we'll talk about Options.

ICN Member
    This happened to me too, a pretty inflamed pharynx, plus white sores. I hope that decreasing the dosage makes it better for you. I have also read some people have Elmiron compounded into a different type of capsule. Maybe there is one that dissolves later in your system but is also effective? Something to consider. I personally had to quit due to other GI side effects that were not sustainable for me, but there are a lot of tricks to taking it you can try plus other options. So don't worry...you'll find something that works! :->
    "When fear seizes, change what you are doing..." --Jean Craighead George, Julie of the Wolves

--Dx: IC, PFD, V, PN irritation, yeast, and "IBS-like symptoms" that includes a lot of difficulty with gluten...in that order. Pleased to report that "it's something new every day" includes great things as well as painful things.

No longer active
    I hope going to 2 capsules daily will be better.

As soon as I took it this morning , had a sore throat within 30 minutes.

It wore off about 6 hours later. :woohoo:

I take my next one about 7:30 pm tonight.

I am going to dump it in a tablespoon of peanut butter and stir it with a tooth pick.

Sounds crazy I know. I hate the sore throat.. It is raw.

Salt water gargle is useless. Cloraseptic spray is useless. So are Halls Lozengers.

The one thing that made it feel good. Afew Table Spoons of Vanilla IceCream.
    Bad Idea tho , I am allergic to dairy.

ICN Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenda2 View Post
    I took Donna's advice and now open the Elmiron Capsule and empty it out into a small glass of water.

It still gives me a sore throat.

Why does it do this ? Does it contain something that is irritating to the throat / esophagus ? A perticular ingredient ?

I had to go by a bottle of Chloraseptic (sp?) spray and that doesn't help much either.

What can I do next ? Any suggestions ?
    It doesn't sound like the capsule is the problem, if you get a sore throat when emptying out the capsule into water and taking your dose that way. Try numbing your throat with ice-water first, then submerge the capsule in a tsp of honey and swallow it that way. You never know! Sometimes a wacky problem needs a wacky solution.

Oh, I didn't see your own peanut butter suggestion. That could work! Smooth, I assume, since you won't be chewing.

No longer active
    Well my husband suggested spraying my throat with chloraseptic spray 1st. and then drink the water mix quickly.

I have another idea. Empty some chlorsaseptic spray in a table spoon and mix the capsule contents with it ??????

Good or Bad idea ? What do you guy's think ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information