Latest Blog Article: New Bladder Pain Treatment In Development - IC Clinical Trial
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ICN Member

My version of basic nomato sauce(for Diamic)

Hi Diamic,
    this is for you. I'ved tried different versions of nomato sauce and have come up with this variation that works well enough to make a spaghetti sauce that raised my BF's eyebrows as to how good it tasted as well as a decent ketchup:

Basic nomato sauce:
    1 15 oz. can of whole beets drained
    1 30oz. can of yams drained and rinsed well(or equivalent in cooked carrots)
    1 15 oz can of pears in pear juice (the can usually says lite on it)
    3 roasted red bell peppers (this may not be IC friendly for some.Obviously don't add them if you can't tolerate them!)(You could try subbing pureed carrots for them if need be.)
    1 tsp. lemon oil(may be IC tolerated may not, again use caution)
    1 tsp salt

I first puree each of the above in my cuisinart,making sure you use the pear juice that comes in the can also. Mix all into a pot with the lemon oil and salt. Simmer on low for about 30 mins. Then I do a final puree in my blender. I freeze in baggies what I'm not going to use right away. It doesn't look like much but when cooked into other things it's quite wondeful. If anyone wants the ketchup or spaghetti sauce let me know and I'll write it up later.
    Cynthia
    Last edited by loveslife; 10-16-2009 at 12:54 PM. Reason: on third try with carrots liked it as well as yams and more tomato like color!
    Initially diagnosed with IC July 2009.
    Officially diagnosed with IC/PFD February 2010.

Additional problems past and present:
    Hypothyroid, joint pain(fibromyalgia or arthritis), heart problems(so far in remission with this),pre total hysterctomy:severe endometriosis, ovarian cysts, cervical dysplasia,had intestinal obstruction due to adhesions. Allergies to Tetracycline, Bentyl and Bromocriptine. Skin allergy to latex, tomatoes and hard cheese.

Things that help my IC:
    IC diet
    Keeping stress(good or bad) to a minimum
    Percocet as needed
    Ativan as needed(rarely anymore!)
    Prelief
    Amitriptyline 20 mgs nightly

Physical therapy for PFD
    Things that didn't help or made it worse:
    Heparin Instillations
    Prosed
    Atarax
    Pyridium

Talking

Thank you so much. I'm going to give this a try this week if I have some time. But I will make for sure this weekend.:woohoo:

DIAMIC65

ICN Member
    Hi diamic,
    no problem. I forgot to mention though, that when you make your spaghetti sauce from this, once you've added your herbs, sauteed onions, garlic etc. and cooked it for awhile you'll want to puree it once more (or at least some of it) to give it that nice thick texture that a good spaghetti sauce has. As I mentioned to mrmambo,a good substitute for the red wine is pure blueberry juice. And really bump up your seasonings.
    take care,
    Cynthia

Hypothyroid, joint pain(fibromyalgia or arthritis), heart problems(so far in remission with this),pre total hysterctomy:severe endometriosis, ovarian cysts, cervical dysplasia,had intestinal obstruction due to adhesions. Allergies to Tetracycline, Bentyl and Bromocriptine. Skin allergy to latex, tomatoes and hard cheese.

Things that help my IC:
    IC diet
    Percocet as needed
    Prelief

Physical therapy for PFD
    Heparin Instillations
    Prosed
    Atarax
    Pyridium

ICN Member
    Thanks, so much, Cynthia--you rock!

I looked at yours and another I found online (used carrots, beets, and leeks) to make my own...it came out great! My wife was amazed, since she's a very discriminating eater and doesn't like any veggies besides corn, tomatoes, potatoes, lettuce, and onions.

It looked amazingly like real sauce and any flavor quirks were definitely hidden by the meat and spices. Will post recipe separately.

ICN Member
    Hi mrmambo,
    you're very welcome! I see you made a revised version of bolognese with yours. Very nice! It's pretty versatile stuff. I used mine the other day for the tomato sauce substitute in my beef stew and will be using it in a chicken tomato veggie soup tonight (of course it will be nomato instead!). I think my favorite thing so far with it is my ketchup. I'll put that up next.
    Cynthia

Things that help my IC:
    IC diet
    Percocet as needed
    Prelief

Physical therapy for PFD
    Heparin Instillations
    Prosed
    Atarax
    Pyridium

Talking

Is it good in Veggie soup? I miss eating stuff like that and its one of my favorite foods to eat. I loved anything that had tomatoes in it. Oh I miss stuff like that.

DIAMIC65

ICN Member
    Absolutely! My chicken "tomato" veggie soup is bascially that with chicken thrown in!

Things that help my IC:
    IC diet
    Percocet as needed
    Prelief

Physical therapy for PFD
    Heparin Instillations
    Prosed
    Atarax
    Pyridium

Talking

My husband and I are going to make up a batch of sauce this weekend. He is just excited that we have a recipe to fix sauces for me. And we are looking forward of trying diff foods with it.

DIAMIC65

ICN Member
    Didn't have the pears this last time , so substituted 1/2 sugar for pears. Still came out good.

Things that help my IC:
    IC diet
    Percocet as needed
    Prelief

Physical therapy for PFD
    Heparin Instillations
    Prosed
    Atarax
    Pyridium

ICN Member
    Thank you for sharing this recipe!
    I have been trying to follow the IC diet a couple months now, and living with out tomato sauce/ kechutp has been a challenge (that I haven't alsways been too successful at, but now will be better at!).
    Since my DH eats what i cook, he's been dealing with this, too (although I will add tom sauce to his spaghetti, ect).
    I didn't know he missed chili until 2 weeks ago when a neighbor offered to bring us some and he jumped at the chance to have some!

So, anyways, I made this last night & used it on chili (will share how I make my very basic, VERY mild chili at the end of this post).
    I didn't have any red peppers, so didn't add that. I could have added a green pepper, but didn't (if I would have, I woulda diced it up & added it at the very end, after all blederizing is done, so it wouldn't affect the color.
    I told DH while I was making the no- mato sauce what was in it, so he knew.
    I was going to use tomatoes in HIS chili, and the no- mato sauce in mine only, but didn't.... went ahead and used the no- mato sauce in both his AND mine.
    He told me after he ate his that, even though he knew it had beets in it, he couldn't taste it until the last bite or two.
    We both said it looked like pureed rhubarb (a little too pink to look like tomato sauce....lol). I'm sure the red peppers help a lot with the color though. Or a little red food coloring might also work. I didn't have lemon oil, so used a tad but of lemon juice I've had forever (some ICer's may be bothered by it, so beware)
    We both thought it wasn't bad, and I will be happy to have it again & again, as well as make the other no- mato recipes!
    I love finding & trying recipes I can have, so look forward to seeing & trying more!

Forgot to add how I make my chili!
    I just cook up some ground hamburger or turkey (1/4- 1/2 cup per person) mine is made for 2 people, adding in whatever spices sound good, usually parsely, dried oinion, maybe a little bit of chili powder. I personally have never liked spicy things, so my chili is always very mild (I actually LIKE being able to taste the meat...lol)

add a can of beans, drained (again, this is for 2 people) to the skillet, and add the no mato sauce and let it cook a few mins until everything is warmed up, and there ya go!

Becky
    Last edited by wheeliezdryver; 11-01-2009 at 06:49 AM.

ICN Member
    Hi Becky,
    Glad it worked for you too! I agree that it looks a little to pinkish like rhubarb . I"ve fiddled around with it more and found that adding carrots to it definitley give it more of the correct color, so now am doing half yams and half carrots(and really cook the heck out of the carrots!). The lemon flavoring and a little sweetener whether pears or sugar does seem to be the key though in getting a decent substitution.
    Happy cooking!
    Cynthia

Things that help my IC:
    IC diet
    Percocet as needed
    Prelief

Physical therapy for PFD
    Heparin Instillations
    Prosed
    Atarax
    Pyridium

ICN Member
    just coming by to *bump* this one back to the top!

ICN Member
    giving this one another *bump*

ICN Member
    *bump*ing this one back up...
    Becky, 33
    dx'd hypothyroidism May 2004
    dx'd Plantar Fasciitis (tendonitis in the foot) Oct 2006
    emergency surgery to remove right ovary & cyst Feb 7, 2008.
    dx'd Sleep Apnea Oct 2008

don't know if I have IC or PFD, but suspect so. Have had minor frequency & urgency my whole life. Have had abdominal pain at least 2-3 years. been tested 4 times for UTI, only once was positive.
    Currently in process of diagnosis...

I take:
    150 mg levothyroxine daily (for hypo)
    Prelief as needed.
    colace/ Miralax as perscribed by my Dr (pretty much daily) for chronic constipation...
    IC diet as much as possible...

My sweetheart/ hubby was born with Spastic Cerebral Palsy. As a result, he is legally blind, has a minor speech impairment, & uses a wheelchair. And he's one of the brightest people I know. He has also had back problems since May 2007.

ICN Member
    *bump* again
    Becky, 33
    dx'd hypothyroidism May 2004
    dx'd Plantar Fasciitis (tendonitis in the foot) Oct 2006
    emergency surgery to remove right ovary & cyst Feb 7, 2008.
    dx'd Sleep Apnea Oct 2008

don't know if I have IC or PFD, but suspect so. Have had minor frequency & urgency my whole life. Have had abdominal pain at least 2-3 years. been tested 4 times for UTI, only once was positive.
    Currently in process of diagnosis...

I take:
    150 mg levothyroxine daily (for hypo)
    Prelief as needed.
    colace/ Miralax as perscribed by my Dr (pretty much daily) for chronic constipation...
    IC diet as much as possible...

My sweetheart/ hubby was born with Spastic Cerebral Palsy. As a result, he is legally blind, has a minor speech impairment, & uses a wheelchair. And he's one of the brightest people I know. He has also had back problems since May 2007.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information