Latest Blog Article: New IC Treatments Use Liposomes To Deliver BotoxA Into The Bladder

Thread: Synthroid

ICN Member

Synthroid

My doctor recently diagnosed me with hypothyroidism. I have taken the synthroid for two days and I am flaring. I don't know if it is because of the medicine or because my period is due. I am afraid to take it today and concerned that it is the cause. Anyone elso on Synthoid? Let me know your bladder experience. Before this I was able to control my IC with diet and CystaQ. Thanks for your help.

ICN Member
    I successfully take 1.75 MCG of synthroid due to hypothyrodism with no connection to IC flares. Good luck with it!

ICN Member

synthroid

Thanks enots1558,
    I am taking 25mcg of the generic levothyroxine and I don't know if that's a lot. I am reassured that it does not bother your bladder!

ICN Member
    Just to note something interesting my pain management doc shared with me the other day. He stated that he wants me to take brand name on every medication I am on because he says there is something in the compounds they use when making generic drugs that can cause flares in IC patients. I am not sure if that is correct but worth the thought anyway.
    DX with IC in March 09 although have been struggling with is for almost three years before receiving the diagnosis

Drugs I take:

Synthroid 1.75 MCG
    Altace 2.5 MG
    Zetia 10 MG
    Lexapro 20 MG
    Actos 45 MG
    Humalog 75/25 2 injections daily
    Elmiron 100 MG x' 3 daily
    Enbrel 1 injection weekly
    Lortab 10 MG 3x's daily

Drugs I am allergic to:
    Sulfa
    Penicillin
    Lisinopril
    Tegretol (Caused Liver Failure)
    Neurontin (Caused Pancreatitis)
    Lyrica (Couldn't take side effects)
    Methadone (Caused my lips, and tongue to swell to the point I could not swallow food or water)

I was complaining about IC reducing me to staring at the walls all the time and experiencing terrible lonliness because my husband works out of the country three to four months at a time and I have been unable to work until I met a lady that was homeless and would have felt blessed to have walls to stare at everyday!

ICN Member

synthroid

Thanks again. I will ask for the name brand and see if it makes a difference. I'm still not sure what is causing the flare and it may not be the synthroid.

I've been taking thyroid replacement for 16 years without any issues with my bladder. I've taken both generic and named brand. Mycurrent dosage is 175mcg.
    (\__/)
    (o.O )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. He's on his way to world domination.

ICN Member

ditto

Yes, I heard also that it's important to take the brand name of Synthroid. At least it's a fairly cheap drug.
    I also have chemical sensitivity so I switched to Armour Thyroid and am now on Westhroid.
    If you are recently taking it--it might take your body some time to adjust to it and make sure it's the right dosage. However, besides those symptoms I think it's one of the safer medicines to take. You can tell if the dosage is off if you end up gaining weight and getting really tired (it's too low), or if you get really hyper and your heart races (it's too high).
    On painful cycle I think hypothyroidism does tend to cause them to be more painful also.

ICN Member

Meds all causing flares

I am in trouble. It took me 3 years to find the one hypo med that didn't cause my bladder to flare - Levoxyl. I've been great for years and rarely even notice IC symptoms these days. Then they recalled Levoxyl due to funny smell in the bottle. It won't be back until 2014. I've been retrying all the synthetic and natural ones again. Each one causes me to flare horribly. I even went so far as to have one compounded - it was the worst of all. I'm so stressed because I won't live in this pain every day again after spending 20 years to get it under control. But I am terrified to go without my meds. So frustrating. I am looking for an endocrinologist and I am calling Dr for the last chance - Westhroid - and praying it doesn't cause a flare. But after going through so many options unsuccessfully I don't hold out a lot of hope.

Aargh. Anyone have to find another route besides pills? I can't find any options when researching that don't require meds. Thx.

ICN Member
    I assume you have tried the name brand Synthroid. I have been taking it for years with no problems.

It definitely costs more than the generic but it doesn't cause flares for me.

Good luck with your search.

ICN Member

Thanks but yes, I've tried it unsuccessfully

Unfortunately, all the levoxo name brands and generics hurt me except Levoxyl. I wish I could take synthroid. The pharmacist assumes it is the way Levoxyl manufactures their drug since there are no inactive ingredients in any of them that should bother me.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by irfran View Post
    I assume you have tried the name brand Synthroid. I have been taking it for years with no problems.

It definitely costs more than the generic but it doesn't cause flares for me.

Good luck with your search.
    Laura D. in Florida

Share your poems and art about living with IC, and your IC-friendly recipes at www.art4ic.com

IC since 1994: primarily utilize herbal/natural treatments due to intolerance to many medications. Daily: Marshmallow Root Tea, Hormones, Cystoprotek, Desert Harvest Aloe Vera, Claritin, and relatively strict adherence to IC Diet.

To Laura, If you search Thyroid Change or Thyroid Sexy you can learn much new information about thyroid medications. Also search "Scottish Thyroid Petition" This wonderful group in Scotland have taken poor thyroid treatment to their parliament/government and this could improve thyroid and adrenal treatment for patients around the world. Patients are wanting Change! Thyroid is important to your well being and unfair to you to just leave you untreated with no medication. They have some good videos, just search! People have been made very ill and some have died do to lack of thyroid hormone.

ICN Member
    Thanks!
    Laura D. in Florida

Share your poems and art about living with IC, and your IC-friendly recipes at www.art4ic.com

IC since 1994: primarily utilize herbal/natural treatments due to intolerance to many medications. Daily: Marshmallow Root Tea, Hormones, Cystoprotek, Desert Harvest Aloe Vera, Claritin, and relatively strict adherence to IC Diet.

Quote Originally Posted by lauraads View Post
    I am in trouble. It took me 3 years to find the one hypo med that didn't cause my bladder to flare - Levoxyl. I've been great for years and rarely even notice IC symptoms these days. Then they recalled Levoxyl due to funny smell in the bottle. It won't be back until 2014. I've been retrying all the synthetic and natural ones again. Each one causes me to flare horribly. I even went so far as to have one compounded - it was the worst of all. I'm so stressed because I won't live in this pain every day again after spending 20 years to get it under control. But I am terrified to go without my meds. So frustrating. I am looking for an endocrinologist and I am calling Dr for the last chance - Westhroid - and praying it doesn't cause a flare. But after going through so many options unsuccessfully I don't hold out a lot of hope.

Aargh. Anyone have to find another route besides pills? I can't find any options when researching that don't require meds. Thx.
    How early in 2014 is it estimated it will be available again? If they're doing trials anywhere, it is even possible you could get it under a "compassionate" use basis? It might be worth contacting the drug company.

Warm hugs,
    Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

ICN Member
    Thanks Donna. I was thinking of calling again and can ask that. I spoke to them two weeks ago and all they could do was take my # down. The situation is weird - they only pulled it because pharmacists complained when they opened the bottles of large quantities there was a strange smell. They are fixing that and have no estimate of when (I just hope it really comes back at all) except '2014'. Today I contacted a recommended Canadian Pharmacy that requires prescriptions but they did not carry the brand.

Laura
    Laura D. in Florida

Thread Information