Latest Blog Article: Female Triathletes At Risk For Pelvic Floor Disorders

How often can you take Azo?

On the directions, it says you can take Azo for a couple of days up to three times a day. I don't think it's generally meant for long-term use on and off. I usually take it once and then wait several days then take it once again. I'm trying to get the nerves in the bladder to calm down a little bit. But if I'm to take it long-term (which doesn't seem to be its recommended use), how often is it safe to take it? All the info I seem to get says to take it for two days. But how often can I take it for two days? Two days a month? Two days a week?
    36 Years old, Live in Bay Area, California.

Update! Feeling much better these days and can usually live my life! I've had severe IC symptoms since Nov '08, and I've had treatments since June '09. I'm so thankful for the info on this forum to help me get to a place where I can feel okay.

Pelvic pain began July 2008. Urinary frequency began in November of 2008. IC Doctor says I'm one of the worst frequency patients he has had.

Main symptoms: Frequency, burning pain. Sometimes I feel I have to go even after I empty my bladder. Completed 8 months of physical therapy.

Currently on: IC Diet, Elavil (30mg), Elmiron since June '09 (500mg/day).

Previously tried and quit: one series of six instillations, Neurontin, Ditropan, Oxytrol, electric stimulation to the pelvic floor, Desert Harvest Aloe, Cystoprotek and Flomax, Hydroxyzine (50mg), Alesse Birth control (this helped my period flares when my symptoms used to be bad), PTNS (I think this helped).

azo

I've been taking AZO for six years. I will take it everyday for weeks, sometimes months at a time. Now that I've been diagnosed with IC I can control my symptoms better, and don't need AZO very often (maybe once a month.) I recently asked a doctor why you shouldn't take AZO everyday and her only answer to me was that it would cause a build-up in your bladder. Also if you read the insert that comes inside the box, AZO is a carcinogen, and caused neoplasia (a tumor) in lab rats. So, AZO is probably not good to take long-term. I've known this for a while, but still continued to take AZO, because of the pain. Now I just follow the IC diet to control symptoms if possible and only take AZO if I have to.
    I hope this info was helpful.
    Good luck
    “There is no failure except
    in no longer trying.” Elbert Hubbard

Diagnosed: August, 2009
    Currently on Elmiron, Sanctura, AZO, Vicodin (only during a flare)

You should discuss this with your doctor. Basically I would think that the ocassional use that most of us do wouldn't be bad but it would be possible to closer to the dose the package says as long as your doctor monitors your blood since the risk is damage to your liver. The same med is in prescription form.

Good luck to you!
    Faith, Hope, and Love,
    Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back! My hope story http://www.ic-network.com/patientstories/katrina.html
    http://mandksales.net
    IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/kat671?ref=profile
    Be the Miracle! & Pay it Forward!

carmelann@charter.net please contact me...I am here to help!http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ICinWI/ if your from WI please contact me!

Thread Information