Latest Blog Article: Interstitial Cystitis Treatment Guidelines Updated by AUA in Fall 2014
    ICN Member

Does Generic Prosed work?

Hi,

I have been taking Prosed/DS for a couple of years now for my IC. It has been a life saver for me. The last time I filled my prescription, the pharmacist gave me the new generic Methylphen 81.6 Mg tablets. I don't think it is working very well. I have gone back & forth with some of the original Prosed that I had left. Every time I use the generic form, my symptoms seem to come back. Has anyone else had this experience?

I have a relative who is in pharmacy and he told me there is no generic for Prosed/DS. I would take the bottle back to the pharmacy and check with them before taking any more of it!

ICN Member
    I was told it is new. The bottle reads: RE Methylphen 81.6MG Tablets
    Mfg Rivers Edge-for Prosed/DS (Atropine free) Tablets.
    It is bluish green, but doesn't have the blue coating the regular ones have. I may call my urologist for more information. In the meantime, I am spending more time in the bathroom.

ICN Member
    I just talked to my pharmacist. The "generic" is almost as expensive as the "real" Prosed. They are going to fill my Rx with the original. I just wish I hadn't wasted the money on the generic! Live & learn. I hope others can benefit from my experience--don't take generic Prosed!

If you google Methylphen it is listed as a central nervous system stimulent. If you then google Prosed/DS it is listed as Methenamine. Please contact your drugstore before you take anymore of this. I happen to take Prosed DS also so I would be interested in what the result of this is. Something is not right!

What exactly is Prosed DS?

Prosed DS is an antibacterial-analgesic. It's used like Pyridium, but I believe it's safer for long term use.

ICN Member
    I just picked up my new prescription. I am trying to get my money back for the generic, but the manager was gone. I will talk to the pharmacist again about what you told me. Thanks for the info.

ICN Member
    I sent an e-mail to Ferring Pharmaceuticals, who make Prosed DS. I received a reply today that says there is no generic form of the medication. Some products claim to be a generic, but have different ingredients or amounts of ingredients. I am going to take the e-mail I received to my pharmacy along with my "generic" pills to see what they will do.

Thread Information