Latest Blog Article: Creating an IC Friendly Thanksgiving
Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Is it common for Hydroxyzine to Cause Intense Hunger, therefor weight gain?

Hi everyone,

I am giving hydroxyzine a shot and have noticed I can't quit eating!!! I have a hard core temptation for sweets, or really for all food. This is unlike me. Is this a common side effect? Will it go away? My main reason for taking it is for sleep at night, but I am considering ditching it as I have gained 8 lbs in the last 2 weeks.

Are there any other meds I can use that ya'll have used successfully for sleep? Please help. I am IC'er that does work :*( Most days it is so hard, but if I could just sleep I would be okay.
    As I think, so I shall be....

I have had IC for 4.5 years now. I also have fibro, sjogren's syndrome, and vulvadynia. I live in immense pain. I often daydream of life before this demon . When I feel good, I embrace it with all of my heart! I pray that someday I will feel 100% again, we all deserve it!

Medications:

Vicodin (as needed, so daily!)
    Percocet (morning & night)
    Klonopin (.5 mg at night)
    Zanaflex (2 mg each night)
    Thyroid med for low thyroid (hypo)
    leuko-stim
    Vitamin D (4000)

Diagnosis:
    IC, CFS, Fibro (it is really bad it has taken so much from me and changed my life), Anxiety, Depression from it all, & Hypothyroid.

ICN Member

it made me crave sugar

hydroxyzine did make me crave sugar... but as I would take it 30 min before bed, I'd just drink some herbal tea (blueberry is my fav), then brush my teeth and go to bed.

I've heard 5 HTP helps w/ food cravings, but you want to talk to a dr or nutritionalist before taking it -I'm not a dr or anything.

Me Too

I take 50 mg at bedtime, and this is my only dosage of hydroxyzine. I've suddenly gone up a size in the last couple of months. I can't fit into most of my pants and it's really discouraging. I can't afford new clothes! I'm thinking about weaning myself off the stuff, but darn it, it does help me fall back asleep after waking up due to hot flashes, needing to pee, etc.

I have been take 75 mg at night for years. I do crave sweets, but thats normal for me. I have gained alot over the years maybe that is what caused my weight gain. Thanks, I never gave it much thought.
    'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

I quit the med a few nights ago and

my extreme, intense, hunger has disappeared. Thank goodness...I knew something just was not right. I gained 8 lbs over the last 2 weeks. Ugh, horrid! I know weight is not everything, healing, feeling good is what counts...but I don't want to have lower self esteem than I already do from this. It is like you are damned if you do and you are damned if you don't sometimes. Dang hydroxyzine!
    As I think, so I shall be....

I have had IC for 4.5 years now. I also have fibro, sjogren's syndrome, and vulvadynia. I live in immense pain. I often daydream of life before this demon . When I feel good, I embrace it with all of my heart! I pray that someday I will feel 100% again, we all deserve it!

Medications:

Vicodin (as needed, so daily!)
    Percocet (morning & night)
    Klonopin (.5 mg at night)
    Zanaflex (2 mg each night)
    Thyroid med for low thyroid (hypo)
    leuko-stim
    Vitamin D (4000)

Diagnosis:
    IC, CFS, Fibro (it is really bad it has taken so much from me and changed my life), Anxiety, Depression from it all, & Hypothyroid.

I'm wondering the same thing. I suddenly have been gaining a pound every couple of days and that is very unusual for me. I don't feel like I'm eating much though. So I don't know what it is. All of a sudden I'm up 5 pounds in the last few days, more if you count the last couple of weeks! I hate this! But it helps my symptoms so much. What should I do? I go to the gym 3-4 times a week already.

I'm up to 50 mg hydroxyzine the last couple of days and still on 10 mg of Elavil. I don't know if anything in the cystoprotek would cause weight gain, but I don't think so. Is it the hydroxyzine doing this? I need advice, I can't continue to spiral up like this.
    Last edited by musiclover; 09-14-2009 at 09:37 PM.
    Update! Feeling much better these days and no longer on any meds!

Pelvic pain began July 2008. Urinary frequency began in November of 2008. IC Doctor says I'm one of the worst frequency patients he has had.

Things that helped me the most: IC Diet, Elavil (30mg), Elmiron since June '09 (500mg/day).

Previously tried and quit: one series of six instillations, Neurontin, Ditropan, Oxytrol, electric stimulation to the pelvic floor, Desert Harvest Aloe, Cystoprotek and Flomax, Hydroxyzine (50mg), Alesse Birth control (this helped my period flares when my symptoms used to be bad), PTNS (I think this helped).

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Stupid question but WHAT is hydroxyzine? And what do you take it for???

ICN Member

hydroxyzine

Hydroxyzine was a godsend to me for two or three years. Then it stopped working. Now I use occasionally as a sleeping pill. The curious thing is when I was taking 50 mg during the day it wasn't making me tired. Now if I take 50 mg at night, it knocks me out for the next day. I'm thinking of taking it regularly again because none of the drugs are working for me anymore.

Maxine

Atarax

Goodnightmoon,
    Hydroxyzine is also known as Atarax. It is an antihistamine. It may help IC by blocking the mast cells that cause inflamation. It does make some people sleepy and it sounds like here it may also contribute to some weight gain in some people. Hope this helps.
    Teresa

I did crave sweets while on that med. I didn't realize it until too late. I gained a ton of weight (obvious exaggeration). I'm working now to get the incentive to get the weigth off. Just be very careful with your eating habits. Recognize the craving and make some other behavioral adjustments.

Angry I take it too!!!!!

I have noticed the weight gain. I did not put two and two together. The other day I put on a pair of jeans on... OH MY GOD. I told my husband that I was not going to eat again. I know I don't eat that much food. Skim milk and whole bran cereal for my morning meal. Then i drink lots of water. Then I have a nice dinner... One helping at a time. I'm going to stop taking it.

DIAMIC65

Angry I hate this

Ok I stopped taking the Vistaril two days ago. Now I'm in a IC FLARE BIG TIME I don't know if its worth the pain to stop it. Or is the weight gain is the worse. Oh I just hate it my husband wants me to start taking it again I guess I could stop eating to once a day.

DIAMIC65

I decided to stick with the hydroxyzine regardless of side effects because it helps me enough not to quit. The combo of that along with cystoprotek seem to keep the inflammation feeling at bay.

I'll stick with it until I feel better then start to decrease some of these meds. I'm hoping that will be sooner than later.
    Update! Feeling much better these days and no longer on any meds!

Pelvic pain began July 2008. Urinary frequency began in November of 2008. IC Doctor says I'm one of the worst frequency patients he has had.

Things that helped me the most: IC Diet, Elavil (30mg), Elmiron since June '09 (500mg/day).

Previously tried and quit: one series of six instillations, Neurontin, Ditropan, Oxytrol, electric stimulation to the pelvic floor, Desert Harvest Aloe, Cystoprotek and Flomax, Hydroxyzine (50mg), Alesse Birth control (this helped my period flares when my symptoms used to be bad), PTNS (I think this helped).

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

ICN Member
    I have the same cravings, a double whammy from the hydroxyzine and the Remeron I take.

They both help me immensely, so ceasing them is not an option.

I follow an Atkins South Beach kind of diet and it stopped my weight gain. Mostly vegetables and some protein; no sugar, no flour, no non fibrous carbs.

The diet, beside stopping my weight gain, had another benefit; it stabilized my blood sugar so the cravings got less intense. And habit is strong, so after a week or so of mostly veggies and protein, it sort of seemed like second nature to me.

Limit your high glycemic index carbs and you should be okay.
    -Laura
    56 years old
    Diagnosed Feb 2009, but had IC for years before that;
    Also horribly progressive, painful, severe vascular rosacea.

Stuff that helps me--
    - the IC diet
    - Prelief
    - CystoProtek (wonderful stuff, highly recommended)
    - Vagifem estrogen inserts- every other day
    - Remeron (Mirtazapine)- 30 mg nightly for IC pain, also for constant menopausal flushing
    - Clonidine- 50 mcg every 8 hours for painful facial flushing
    - Zebeta (Bisoprolol)- 5 mg nightly- Beta Blocker for mild hypertension
    - Hydroxyzine- antihistamine for IC

I used to be overweight before the IC started - now I wish I could gain some weight. I would trade being overwieght again if I could get rid of this pain and frequency. If something is working for well for you I wouldn't worry about the weight gain too much - I'm sure you are beautiful no matter what!
    Teresa

Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information