Latest Blog Article: New IC Treatments Use Liposomes To Deliver BotoxA Into The Bladder

Preservative Free Bread?

Is there even such a thing as preservative free bread?

My husband bakes bread in a grocery store and he doesn't think that there are preservative free breads. Even the artisan loaves he bakes have "dough conditioner" or ascorbic acid in them, for "freshness".

I was using a light bread before I found out I had IC, and I've now linked it with my flares. It had several preservatives in it, plus sucralose.

I almost always have a sandwich for lunch on my work days. It's easy to pack & eat, but I can't use bread that will make me flare up.

So far I've had limited success with a honey wheat bun that my husband bakes, but it's expensive to continue purchasing. I'd gladly bake my own, but we don't have an oven that currently works.

Any suggestions? Any brands you've tried that work well for you? Just curious!

(Me & my husband)

IC- June '09- Elmiron, occasionally Urelle & Sanctura XR, also take joint supplement
    Vulvodynia- Aug '09- Elavil, Calcium Citrate & occasionally Lidocaine gel
    Semen Allergy- Nov '09- just preventive measures
    IBS- Jan '10- mild case, so just high soluble fiber diet
    Still have unidentified pain, possibly from PFD.

Also migraines & hypertension.

Follow IC diet when flaring, otherwise hasn't proven very helpful. Also follow some IBS diet guidelines.

Exercise (2 miles walking per day, some yoga & mild kettlebells) and stress relief have also helped much!

Lover of all animals!

Visit my blog about living with IC & VVS: http://icthereforeican.blogspot.com/

I do well with plain white bread, but not whole wheat. You might want to think about investing in a bread machine. They aren't expensive and you can use your own ingredients.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

D'oh!

I OWN a bread machine! I totally didn't even think about using it!

We usually just use it for making pizza dough. I haven't done a real loaf in it in over a year!

Thank you so much, Donna, for waking me up!

(Me & my husband)

IC- June '09- Elmiron, occasionally Urelle & Sanctura XR, also take joint supplement

Follow IC diet when flaring, otherwise hasn't proven very helpful. Also follow some IBS diet guidelines.

Exercise (2 miles walking per day, some yoga & mild kettlebells) and stress relief have also helped much!

Lover of all animals!

If you have a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods nearby, those stores have several preservative free breads that don't have vinegar in them either.

Several grocery stores near here in the San Francisco Bay Area (Safeway, PW Market, Berkeley Bowl) also carry preservative free breads baked by local bakeries-- Grace Baking Company, Semifreddi's, Santa Cruz Baking Company
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 60mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills every morning and night
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic to prevent UTI infections from 2x daily catheter use
    -Colace & Senna to treat chronic constipation from meds
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

No Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, I'm afraid. There is a specialty grocery store in the "big city" that I might try the next time we go.

I baked a loaf of french today, in the bread machine. It smells amazing! (My biggest worry is my husband will eat most of it & there will be none left for sandwiches. )

(Me & my husband)

Lover of all animals!

ICN Member

sandwiches

I'm just starting on the diet. I will have to adjust to not having wheat bread, but anything is worth not having pain. I was thinking of using cream cheese instead of mayonnaise. What other ideas have you come up with? I haven't found a preservative free bread yet. We are going to try and look in Clarks. My question to you is what do you use as a spread on your sandwiches and for filling?

I noticed that, too. The Safeway here puts ascorbic acid even in their bakery bread. That surprised me. And the Safeway bakery sugar cookies made me flare. I found bread at Trader Joe's, also. Maybe you should buy one of those bread maker machines?? It seems like a hassle, but maybe one of the only solutions.
    Update! Feeling much better these days and no longer on any meds!

Pelvic pain began July 2008. Urinary frequency began in November of 2008. IC Doctor says I'm one of the worst frequency patients he has had.

Things that helped me the most: IC Diet, Elavil (30mg), Elmiron since June '09 (500mg/day).

Previously tried and quit: one series of six instillations, Neurontin, Ditropan, Oxytrol, electric stimulation to the pelvic floor, Desert Harvest Aloe, Cystoprotek and Flomax, Hydroxyzine (50mg), Alesse Birth control (this helped my period flares when my symptoms used to be bad), PTNS (I think this helped).

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

ICN Member
    I've been wondering what to put on sandwiches myself. Someone on this site suggested butter for hamburgers, and I tried that...it actually really does taste good. I bet it would work for regular sandwiches too. We also found some preservative free pesto at Whole Foods which I may try as well.
    Linda

understand

I went to the 2 stores yesterday we have in our little town and read the back of every type of bread they had, everything had several bad things in it! Then I came home and called my mother-in-law to get her bread maker.

Quote Originally Posted by musiclover View Post
    Maybe you should buy one of those bread maker machines?? It seems like a hassle, but maybe one of the only solutions.
    Actually, it's not too bad at all.

Our's has a timer on it, so I can put the ingredients in & let it make bread overnight. (We sometimes time it so that on our day off we wake up to the smells of a fresh loaf of raisin bread!)

I've found that making my own bread has really decreased my flares after my sandwiches, which is great since I usually eat them at work! As for what to put on them, I have been having success with just chicken & green pepper. Usually put a little fresh basil or lettuce on as well.

The reason bread has so much bad stuff in it, in the stores, is because it has to have some sort of shelf life. Otherwise it would be moldy in hours, because of the packaging.

My mother suggested looking for a brand that offers frozen bread in the freezer section. It was called Ezekiel or something like that. I've not had any chance to look for it, but thought I'd offer that for those who are.

(Me & my husband)

Lover of all animals!

Nice! Maybe I'll try one of those breadmakers some day.
    Update! Feeling much better these days and no longer on any meds!

Pelvic pain began July 2008. Urinary frequency began in November of 2008. IC Doctor says I'm one of the worst frequency patients he has had.

Things that helped me the most: IC Diet, Elavil (30mg), Elmiron since June '09 (500mg/day).

Previously tried and quit: one series of six instillations, Neurontin, Ditropan, Oxytrol, electric stimulation to the pelvic floor, Desert Harvest Aloe, Cystoprotek and Flomax, Hydroxyzine (50mg), Alesse Birth control (this helped my period flares when my symptoms used to be bad), PTNS (I think this helped).

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

ICN Member

Bread

I'm basically a bread addict. I did find some bread at Clarks. The Ezequiel Bread is good--but the kind I used to get is whole grain. I wasn't sure I'm trying to be careful on the diet so I've only been eating white bread (which I don't like as much as wheat). Can most people tolerate whole wheat?--I wasn't sure.

One thing about this diet is I've found I've been eating lots of dairy products. I'm afraid my cholesterol is going to go up super high. However, I used to really like spicy food--so I'm just at the adjusting stage. I think I put pepper or salsa on everything. My taste buds will have to get used to more milder flavors. I've been going garlic crazy too while I'm getting used to it all. I love garlic at least.

Another bread idea is to make drop bisquits--they usually aren't too hard to make by hand.

I use almost only bread from my breadmaker and it comes out delicious. I usually make rolls (I use the dough part of the breadmaker) and I make them as big or as little as I want them for my sandwich. My husband can't wait to jump on them! I have heard people say that they mix some cream cheese (cube not tub) or some cottage cheese with some acceptable spices for their sandwiches and it is good. This sounds wierd, but I tried someones idea to slice a cucumber and slap it on there. It did'nt sound good, but it is quite tasty. I use cucs right out of my garden. A nice piece of good escarole or some other dark green lettuce type stuff moistens it up nicely too. If you can have a slice of cheese, that also makes a big difference taste-wise. Someone suggested to try some vegetable babyfood (no additives). I tried the peas and it was O.K., but I didn't love it. But some of you might really like it. Never put something down before trying it. We have to be willing to experiment or else our food is too boring.
    Karen

Thread Information