Latest Blog Article: New IC Treatments Use Liposomes To Deliver BotoxA Into The Bladder
    ICN Member

Watermelon- trigger for anyone else ? Constipation ?

I thought water melon was on my ok list so 2 mornings running I have had some with my breakfast and then all day had real pain with peeing. Now I dont appear to have the frequency that some of you have (thank the Lord) can easily go 4-6 hrs without needing the bathroom, but the pain on emptying my bladder is no fun. Has anyone else had problems with watermelon or do you think it is more likely to be the oranic blueberry jam ? I have been eating that most mornings for a couple of weeks and it did not seem to be having an effect but now I am left wondering.

Also wondering does anyone have any rally good IC suitable ideas for constipation ? it is really causing me a problem now have been taking Senna and colace every night and nothing is moving. had to result in taking the day off work today and take some milk of magnesia (YUK) sure I am moving now but this is not a permenant solution and beleive me I drink water like its going out of fashion.

ICN Member
    I had problems with constipation in the past, and so did my daughter. We radically changed our diet in my house a few years ago when my husband discovered that he had a condition that might lead to diverticulitis. None of us has found supplements very effective. Here's what changed our digestive systems radically, and it ain't rocket science: reading about what foods really have the most fibre and eating lots of them.

That would be: bulgur wheat, barley (oatmeal and brown rice are good, but not as good as bulgur and barley), green peas (English shelling peas), all legumes (especially black beans and Great Northern), yams, spinach, collards. Pears and apples are good too, and so are raspberries, if you can tolerate them. Whole wheat bread is better than white, but it doesn't have nearly the fibre of a half cup of bulgur. We make a big pot of beans once a week and eat them for several meals. Popcorn is pretty high in fibre, when compared to other salty snacks, and is well-tolerated by most ICers if it is natural or organic and without a lot of additives.

Milk and dairy can be constipating, and so is calcium, especially calcium carbonate. Calcium citrate seems to be easier on the digestive system and also better tolerated by ICers. If you are taking an iron supplement that can be very constipating. I used to take something called Gentle Iron, which was less so.

ICN Member
    Vegetables, in large quantities, if you can tolerate them.

I have broccoli in my eggs in the AM; cauliflower and zuccini with my chicken at lunch; and raw veggies or steamed veggies for dinner.

It's hard to get constipated if you're eating veggies at every meal.

Hope this helps,
    laura
    -Laura
    56 years old
    Diagnosed Feb 2009, but had IC for years before that;
    Also horribly progressive, painful, severe vascular rosacea.

Stuff that helps me--
    - the IC diet
    - Prelief
    - CystoProtek (wonderful stuff, highly recommended)
    - Vagifem estrogen inserts- every other day
    - Remeron (Mirtazapine)- 30 mg nightly for IC pain, also for constant menopausal flushing
    - Clonidine- 50 mcg every 8 hours for painful facial flushing
    - Zebeta (Bisoprolol)- 5 mg nightly- Beta Blocker for mild hypertension
    - Hydroxyzine- antihistamine for IC

watermelon

I eat watermelon every day and it doesn't bother my bladder. I have the same problem with constipation so I've started eating some prunes and that has really helped.
    Pam

Some IC patients have trouble with watermelon & prunes, so eat these only if you know they're not a problem for you!
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 60mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills every morning and night
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic to prevent UTI infections from 2x daily catheter use
    -Colace & Senna to treat chronic constipation from meds
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

I can't tolerate watermelon at all.
    Rebekah - Diagnosed with IC and Hunner's Ulcers in March 2009

Two Hunner's Ulcers were removed by laser surgery surgery Jan 15 , 2010

Proud Mother of Jeremy Jr. Born on Wed May 4, 2011

"For every door that is closed a new one is opened"

The Lord's Prayer

Our Father, who art in heaven,
    Hallowed be thy Name.
    Thy kingdom come.
    Thy will be done,
    On earth as it is in heaven.
    Give us this day our daily bread.
    And forgive us our trespasses,
    As we forgive those who trespass against us.
    And lead us not into temptation,
    But deliver us from evil.
    [For thine is the kingdom,
    and the power, and the glory,
    for ever and ever.]
    Amen.

ICN Member
    Miralax helps a lot, along with a high fiber diet. Fish oil, Flax oil, borage oil all help. My doctor also recommended mineral oil. I take about 1-1/2 Tablespoons each day.
    Cathy

My sweet little doglet!

I can eat watermelon and honeydew and crenshaw melons if I eat it early in the day.It does make me pee more(they are 90% water) but is makes my hubbie pee more too so it's the melon for me,not IC. I also have tried blueberry jams and jellies,even ones that were homemade that I bought at the farmers market. They flare me really bad.
    Be careful with prunes, they are high in potassium and so is cantelope and bananas.
    I eat lots of veggies so I am not having problems with constipation.But I used to.

Milk and dairy can be constipating, and so is calcium, especially calcium carbonate.
    Calcium is what's in Tums or Prelief, so that may be one place to look if you're taking these and having constipation. I really appreciate how much they help with "iffy" diet choices but have learned I must use them sparingly if I want things to keep moving.

Vicki
    "The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have."

Hutto, Texas (30 miles or so outside of Austin)
    Watermelon is a problem for me- frequency only. If I have some I eat it early in the day and on weekends only.
    Cantaloup(know that I am spelling it wrong!) doesn't seem to bother me so when its on sale I buy a couple of them and eat them with either lunches or dinners.

watermelon--problem

Hi, watermelon causes me to pee a lot and then comes the pain. I cannot seem to find any other fruit except for pears and pres. free dates. Just make sure your blueberry jam doesn't contain citric acid or other acidic juices added.

hugs,
    Ophelia
    Dx'd
    IC: May 2007
    GERD: 2002
    Hypothyroidism: Nov. 2007
    Major Depressive Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder: 2005
    Endometriosis: lap. confirmed Sept. 2007
    PFD: June 2009
    Allergies: PCN, Sulfa-drugs, Trileptal, Topamax, nuts, shellfish, salmon, lactaid tablets
    Intolerance: dairy products

Current Tx:
    IC: Elmiron 100mg 3x/day, Heparin/Lidocaine instills 1/week, Pyridium PRN, Urelle PRN, Darvocet PRN (mostly for menstrual cramps), DH calcium carbonate+D, vitamin D, omega-3 fish oil, Prelief, IC diet
    PFD: Physical Therapy

Endometriosis: LoOvral
    GERD: Protonix
    Allergies: Flonase, Benadryl PRN, Epipen PRN
    Hypothyroidism: Synthroid
    Mental Health: Remeron, Tegretol, Psychotherapy

Tried but unlucky Tx:
    IC: atarax/vistaril, zyrtec, claritin, elavil
    GERD: aciphex, prilosec, nexium
    Endometriosis: yasmin, nordette, ortho-novum 777, lybrel
    Mental meds: paxil, lexapro, celexa, zoloft, cymbalta, luvox, prozac, effexor, wellbutrin, straterra, elavil, sinequan, emsam, trazodone, ritalin/concerta, trileptal, topamax, neurontin, depakote, lithium, seroquel, lamictal, abilify, zyprexa, risperdal, invega, geodon, klonopin, ativan, xanax, restoril, ambien, lunesta, rozerem, buspar, ECT-4 txs.

Wish: cure for all illnesses and world happiness

ICN Member
    Hi,
    I have IBS as well as the the PfD and IC... I have to balance the soluable and non soluable fibers. So I eat 1/2 cup allbran.. The regular stuff with 10 grams of of fiber EVERY Day with rice milk. Raw spinach works for me, (be careful how much you eat at one time) I eat it every day now.. Also Asparagus helps.... I didn't like melon in the first place.. LOL watermelon ALWAYS made me urinate more.... HMMM I have the urgency with my IC so THAT explains the watermelon. I also found these bars ZING BARS that have fiber and 11 grams of protein.... They have a blueberry almond one ( be careful the ingredients say they have fruit juice in them. I'm waiting for a response from the company asking what fruit juices and in what concentrate)
    This diagnosis is just one more thing in a list of annoying other condidtions I have like many of the rest of you...

I AM NOT A DR. I CAN ONLY SHARE MY EXPERIECES.

NOTHING THOUGH will DEFEAT ME!
    IC/PFD Diagnosed July 2009

Bipolar (diagnosed at 30) ( Which means I am VERY wary of taking any other kind of antidepressants) currently on Trileptal, Seroquel.. Can't even REMEMBER all the ones I can't take

IC Diet since 7/2009
    Interstim Implant 10/2010

Fibromyalgia (14)
    TMJ (Adult)
    IBS (Diagnosed at 35)

:woohoo:

ICN Member

constipation

Hi,

I tried everything for constipation. They other did little or made me go 5 times a day or so leading to increased pain since I also have pfd. I also tried diet changes such as increased fibre, etc. Pumpkin and sweet potatoes seem to help.

My livesaver was Miralax, I use it daily at lunch mixed in Evian water or milk. It has no taste and dissolves well. It works by absorping more water into stool. It has never given me to frequent BMs, diarrhea, cramps, etc. like so many meds I have tried. It is as natural working as possible. I take 3 meds that cause constipation, so it is essential for me.

Miralax is not available in Canada, so I bought a bunch when I visited the US and I have also ordered it on on-line.

There is a new drug out in Canada called Lax-a-Day. It is made with the same drug as Miralax. I have not bought it yet, but will look for it soon and see if it as helpful as Miralax.

Take care,

Kathy

Thread Information