Latest Blog Article: New IC Treatments Use Liposomes To Deliver BotoxA Into The Bladder
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Elavil and weight gain?

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced weight gain with elavil? I started it last august and have gained about 15lbs since then despite daily exercise and a very strict diet. It's driving me a bit nutty, since I feel like I could gain 3 pounds just from inhaling too deeply It is hard to tell if it is doing much for the IC since my symptoms have a way of cycling that I can't quite understand... Also, are there any antideppressants that do not cause weight gain that might work? I am really getting to the end of my rope here I am on quite a large dose because I was trying it for depression too, but I am having no luck in treating that at all with meds. :

I also gained weight on Elavil, 45 pounds over 6 months. I think if I had monitored what I was eating better, it might not have happened. I got 10 pounds off on my own, but stalled out & am now doing Weight Watchers - I've lost 10 more pounds that way. 25 more to go. I don't know if it will be possible, Elavil does make me crave starchy foods,but I'm trying. In my case, I have to continue on the Elavil, it is an essential part of my IC treatment & without it I am unable to sleep or work... I hope you find some answers soon,
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 60mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills every morning and night
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic to prevent UTI infections from 2x daily catheter use
    -Colace & Senna to treat chronic constipation from meds
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

I too gained a bunch of weight on Elavil, had my uro take me off of it. Was on it for 3 weeks - all I wanted was to eat and sleep. My appetite went through the roof. Gained 15 lbs in 3 weeks on it.
    :woohoo:

Diagnosed w/ IC August 2007
    had hydrodistention/cysto
    Fibromyalgia - diagnosed February 2010
    IBS since I was a teenager
    Plantar Fascitis in both heels

Treatment:
    bladder instills when needed (heparin and lidocaine only)
    Elmiron BID
    Detrol LA QD
    Vicodin PRN (when needed)
    Mobic QD
    Topamax 100 mg QD
    Cymbalta 60 mg QD
    Robaxin 500 mg BID
    Calcium, Magnesium, COQ10, Manganese, Aspirin, B12, B1, Vit D, DLPA, folic acid (all for fibro)

diet, physical therapy, IF unit, lots of heating pads, puppy therapy

ICN Member
    Wow - I just logged on to write the exact same question. I have never in my life gained weight. If my weight fluctuated up a couple of pounds, it usually came back down fast. But in April, I started on 25 mg. of Elavil, and since then, I have gained 10 pounds, IN SPITE of the fact that I also started working out daily, weight training, running, etc. My diet hasn't gotten worse -if anything, I'm more careful about what/how much I eat.

Last week, I asked my uro if I could cut the dose in half to see how I did. I swear that the Elavil started working for me the day after I started it, so if that is the key to my feeling good (and I haven since I started the Elavil), I know I should just suck it up and be happy. I'm just wondering if anyone else used Elavil as a bandaid, so to speak, until the Elmiron started working. I'm hoping to stay on the 12.5 mg for another month or so, and then stop it to see how I do without it. That was how I had hoped to use it when I started it, so we'll see.

Also, for anyone who did gain weight on Elavil, were you able to lose it after stopping Elavil? I'm hoping that once it is out of my system, I'll be able to lose it. Right now, it doesn't seem to matter what I do. Lilla - I think I gain 5 pounds from breathing. I was even hoping that cutting the dose in half would make a difference. I guess we shall see!

I've lost half the weight I gained on it and I am still on the same 20mg dose. It's just WAY harder than it would be without it & the loss of overall fitness I've had since getting IC.
    In the five years I've been on these boards, there are some people who have stopped the Elavil or reduced their doses & have lost the weight pretty quickly.
    Kadi

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 60mg at night
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week

Quote Originally Posted by Rubes View Post
    Wow - I just logged on to write the exact same question. I have never in my life gained weight. If my weight fluctuated up a couple of pounds, it usually came back down fast. But in April, I started on 25 mg. of Elavil, and since then, I have gained 10 pounds, IN SPITE of the fact that I also started working out daily, weight training, running, etc. My diet hasn't gotten worse -if anything, I'm more careful about what/how much I eat.

That sounds like me! I have been chronically underweight my whole life, since I tend to exercise a lot and I have never really been one to eat much. So I am just shocked at what my weight has done despite the fact that I exercise 2-3 times daily, both areobic and weight training. It's ridiculous because my arms are lower legs are looking very muscular, and still the weight gain! I can't tell with the belly as it bloats from IC so much...I cut out almost all sugar from my diet, can't have dairy, eggs, nuts, pork and the normal IC things are gone, plus I have cut fat out of everything I possible can and I eat only twice a day, and still! I shudder to think what would happen if I just stopped exercising and eating carefully! I am sorry to hear of others having this trouble too, but it is good to know that I am not alone. I am planning on talking to my Dr. about cutting way back and possible discontinuing the elavil. The weight thing is hard enough but I also can't get over the very groggy, sleepy feeling either. Thanks so much to all who have responded.

Hi Lilla,
    You might talk with your pharmacist about other medications in the same class as Elavil that have less of a weight gain side effect. Then when you talk with your doctor, you will have some ideas already. My doctor was totally unaware of the weight gain issue with Elavil, but my pharmacist knew a lot about it. Just an idea...
    Kadi

Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 60mg at night
    -Pyridium if needed,

Quote Originally Posted by kadi View Post
    Hi Lilla,
    You might talk with your pharmacist about other medications in the same class as Elavil that have less of a weight gain side effect. Then when you talk with your doctor, you will have some ideas already. My doctor was totally unaware of the weight gain issue with Elavil, but my pharmacist knew a lot about it. Just an idea...
    Thank you, that is a very good idea

ICN Member
    Hi all
    I gained a 10 pounds on 50mg of elavil over the past two years. I don't think it makes me eat more. I think it changes our metabolism. I just switched to noritriptyline (I am sure I spelled that wrong). It is in the same family as elavil. I have't noticed any change in my weight yet and I am working hard at it. I have noticed that I feel more charged up and don't sleep as much. I miss the calming effect of elavil but if it makes me thin again.....

ICN Member
    I, too, have gained weight on Elavil, but I was underweight to begin with, so I haven't been too concerned...yet! It definetly has increased my appetite, mainly for carbs and sweets in general. It would take a lot to get me to come off of it, though. It has caused a dramatic improvement in my symptoms. I sleep so much better, too.

I have been on Elavil for about 3 months now, and I agree that it does give you the urge for sweets. I don't have much of an appetitie to begin with, but every night after taking my second dose for the day, I could eat a whole box of cookies in one setting. I wish it would give me cravings for vegetables! However, it has helped with my symptoms and at this point I would be afraid to stop it. I have gained weight too, and hardly eat anything (except for the cookies), and I am getting disgusted with myself. I know I need to start eating healthy, but I have zero appetite during the day.

ICN Member
    Hi all,
    I just started 5mg Endep ( Elvil) last night along with Vagifem. I feel the best I have felt in weeks. I start to react very quickly to all meds.Nothing I am taking is working at the moment. I am in Bali and this flare is food induced as I can not control all the food I have been eating. I have learnt the hard way that they use lemon on EVERYTHING here. Even when you tell them not to. Hah.
    My Dr pscribed 10 gm at night but after reading everyones posts I started with 5mg as anything makes me sleepy.
    What I wanted to know is about the weight gain with Endep. Has anyone experienced weigth gain on 5mg. Also alot of people are also on Tofranil . What is the difference between the 2 and does Tofranil have weight gain side affects.
    Would appreciate you thoughts.
    Jodi.b

ICN Member
    Watch out for the food--it may very well be msg, not lemon. I travel in that part of the world, and rice and mangoes are about the only thing NOT tainted with it. They don't call it msg, so find out the local name, and think twice about eating out. I ate rice most days, msg sends me into all-night knockout flares.

Also, Tofranil has a lot less in the weight gain department. I was on up to 20 mgs--didn't help my pain a whit, but didn't make me gain at all. Elavil seems to be dosage based. Below 10 mgs, little trouble. In higher doses up to 85% gain weight on it.

Update on my elavil: I discontinued it and lost over 12 pounds within 2 weeks of going off of it, and I am still losing without effort. It's a relief, but if I had noticed any improvements with the meds then I would have gladly accepted the weight gain. I have regained my energy level as well, which is far better then the weight loss in my opinion. I am seeing my Uro on the 25th for an internal bladder exam so we'll readdress the meds then and decide what to do next.

I have started Elavil a few days ago, and the weight gain is a bit concerning to me.

I have read in the leaflet that it changes a bit your overall endocrine system, so it is not only matter of increase in appetite, but metabolism, for sure.

After how long on the drug you started to see increase in your weight?

I am on 25mg at the moment, my sleep has improved a lot, I feel more relaxed from my anxiety and the tension headache that i had nearly every day lately is much better too.
    I was very sleepy the first couple days, but in general I would say that sleeping better at night, I feel better during the day, already.

I also think that, if this drug works for my pain, I could try getting off Lyrica, which maybe will make me drop off a few kilos that I took on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information