Latest Blog Article: Pin of the Day - Everyone Has A Story
    ICN Member

Could Zoloft be the cause of my urinary problems?

Hi

I've had a history of UTIs, but this latest one has gone on more than 6 weeks and the infection is definitely gone. Doc thinks it might be IC. I've had 3 UTIs in the last 6 months - which is way more than I would normally get (maybe 1-2 a year max). I switched from Paxil to Zoloft 7 months ago, and now I'm thinking that Zoloft may be the culprit? I've had chronic pelvic pain, bladder burning for weeks now.

Jax

The main problem most people have with Antidepressants like Zoloft is urinary retention.
    Hugs
    Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
    Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
    Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
    Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
    Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

ICN Member
    Zoloft worked pretty well for me, but did cause urinary and bowel retention. The sphincters wouldn't open. Good thing my IC hadn't kicked into gear yet.

I'm on Lexapro now, which is my favorite in 30 years of experience, though it is pricey. You know how anti-depressants are... different for everybody. A friend of mine swears by celexa, but I gained a bunch of weight on that one.
    Karin
    I am not a doctor. If I seem to be giving medical advice, please do disregard it. Or I shall be forced to shoot.

Diagnosed with glomerulations, IC May 8, 2009

Symptoms since childhood
    Appears to run in the family

Medications/supplements for IC:
    200:1 Aloe Vera Gel Extract Capsules 100 mg. per day
    Cystoprotek when a potential flare doesn't respond to diet.

IBS medications:
    40mg Nexium daily
    Soluble fiber before meals as needed

Other medications:
    30mg Lexapro daily
    Clonazepam as needed
    Carisoprodol as needed
    no hormone suppliments at this time

ICN Member

Question zoloft again

I have been on zoloft before, right when I was diagnosed in 2006. I had success with it and did not notice too many affects on my bladder. What I did notice was a weird sensation "down there" for awhile.... but I remember I think it subsided. I am now back on zoloft have been for one week...had that weird sensation again but started taking the med at night and noticed a big difference. I am urinating more often, however that could be due to diet/what i'm drinking rather than the med. I've been told that it takes 4-6 weeks for the body to adjust to a new antidepressant/anti anxiety. I like zoloft because it's an "all in one" and that way it's not a med cocktail for symptoms.

anyone else had success w/ zoloft and side effects that went away?

zoloft making IC worse

It is very possible for any med to make your IC worse. I was on zoloft before IC and it worked for about 6 months for depression and then stopped working. I remember though after I got IC when I was on the MAOI anti-depressant, EMSAM, that I had increased frequency at night from a then 3-4 times to 6-7 times. I mentioned it to my pdoc only to get the "it wouldn't do that" line again.

Listen to your body and don't be afraid to let your dr. know of your symptoms. Trust yourself. I trusted my body and my then warped brain which isn't any less warped now, just sleep deprived.

Hugs and best of luck.

ICN Member
    side effects seem to be subsiding a little.... urinary retention is worst at night but as long as I drink a lot during the day it seems better. Expect that it will only get better from here as my body gets used to it! anyone else had success with zoloft?

SSRI's can improve IC symptoms or worsen them. The ICA had a booklet that included an question/answer on antidepressants & IC. I wish I could remember which one it was. Perhaps if you email their question-person, you might be able to get it...
    Hope you are feeling better soon,
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 60mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills every morning and night
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic to prevent UTI infections from 2x daily catheter use
    -Colace & Senna to treat chronic constipation from meds
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

ICN Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jax72 View Post
    Hi

I've had a history of UTIs, but this latest one has gone on more than 6 weeks and the infection is definitely gone. Doc thinks it might be IC. I've had 3 UTIs in the last 6 months - which is way more than I would normally get (maybe 1-2 a year max). I switched from Paxil to Zoloft 7 months ago, and now I'm thinking that Zoloft may be the culprit? I've had chronic pelvic pain, bladder burning for weeks now.

Jax
    Hi
    I see you're fairly new to the board so and sorry I have not run across any of your other posts as of yet so don't know much about your history...

so my main question is if you have been diagnosed with IC? When you say that your doc "thinks it might be IC"...do you mean that he/she is attributing your current symptoms to diagnosed IC?
    -OR- that you are undiagnosed and your dr thinks that your symptoms sound like you could have IC?

would be helpful to have clarification on that before I could respond as to whether your current symptoms may be due to IC?
    Zoloft aggravating an already IC dxd bladder?
    or if you have NOT been diagnosed, if you are asking if your symptoms in general ("I've had chronic pelvic pain, bladder burning for weeks now. ") sound like IC symptoms?... (whether Zoloft is a factor or not...and possibly if your bladder is experiencing some residual or chronic irritation due to your history of UTIs and your most recent UTI)

Hope this makes sense !
    Symptoms started Nov 2003.
    Diagnosed Nov 2004.
    In remission since Aug 2009.

Favorite quote: "Moderation kills." ~ Dr Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr.

Wink good luck

Good luck with Zoloft. I hope your body adjusts and it treats you well,
    hugs,
    O
    Dx'd
    IC: May 2007
    GERD: 2002
    Hypothyroidism: Nov. 2007
    Major Depressive Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder: 2005
    Endometriosis: lap. confirmed Sept. 2007
    PFD: June 2009
    Allergies: PCN, Sulfa-drugs, Trileptal, Topamax, nuts, shellfish, salmon, lactaid tablets
    Intolerance: dairy products

Current Tx:
    IC: Elmiron 100mg 3x/day, Heparin/Lidocaine instills 1/week, Pyridium PRN, Urelle PRN, Darvocet PRN (mostly for menstrual cramps), DH calcium carbonate+D, vitamin D, omega-3 fish oil, Prelief, IC diet
    PFD: Physical Therapy

Endometriosis: LoOvral
    GERD: Protonix
    Allergies: Flonase, Benadryl PRN, Epipen PRN
    Hypothyroidism: Synthroid
    Mental Health: Remeron, Tegretol, Psychotherapy

Tried but unlucky Tx:
    IC: atarax/vistaril, zyrtec, claritin, elavil
    GERD: aciphex, prilosec, nexium
    Endometriosis: yasmin, nordette, ortho-novum 777, lybrel
    Mental meds: paxil, lexapro, celexa, zoloft, cymbalta, luvox, prozac, effexor, wellbutrin, straterra, elavil, sinequan, emsam, trazodone, ritalin/concerta, trileptal, topamax, neurontin, depakote, lithium, seroquel, lamictal, abilify, zyprexa, risperdal, invega, geodon, klonopin, ativan, xanax, restoril, ambien, lunesta, rozerem, buspar, ECT-4 txs.

Wish: cure for all illnesses and world happiness

ICN Member
    well turns out the symptoms of urinary frequency/burning are not from the zoloft, i have a slight UTI...first one in two years! Let's pray that they stay away! FYI, i have found that taking kyolic garlic pills daily help keep symptoms away and resist UTI somewhat. I do kyolic garlic because it doesnt smell. Youcan get it at sprouts or health food stores wherever u live.

hopefully this week of cipro will knock this uti out of there and ill be on my way to feeling good again

ICN Member

Exclamation

hi everyone,

Im seeing my PCP this coming week and am going to talk to hima bout other antidepressants that may not cause urinary retention but after reading on here, seems they all do... Im worried about gaining weight and urinary problems butI need to be on an antidepressant that also works for anxiety as well. I used to be on zoloft years ago and never had urinary issues so does anyone think it may just be my body getting used to it again???

I need some reassurance!!!

Thread Information