Latest Blog Article: Is Interstitial Cystitis Caused by Anger? No!
Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    ICN Member

Got denied at ALJ hearing

well after three years of waiting and a hearing with the ALJ judge I got denied SSI benefits. I am at a loss. I am practically bedridden most days. My attorney said that she is going to appeal, but from what I read about the appeal process, they usually agree with the ALJ's decision. Has this happened to anyone else and is there anything I can do?

If your attorney didn't think there was a chance, she would not appeal.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

ICN Member
    Oh, that is just rude. I can't imagine what you're going through, and the stress can't be good for your symptoms.

What were the grounds for the denial?
    Karin
    I am not a doctor. If I seem to be giving medical advice, please do disregard it. Or I shall be forced to shoot.

Diagnosed with glomerulations, IC May 8, 2009

Symptoms since childhood
    Appears to run in the family

Medications/supplements for IC:
    200:1 Aloe Vera Gel Extract Capsules 100 mg. per day
    Cystoprotek when a potential flare doesn't respond to diet.

IBS medications:
    40mg Nexium daily
    Soluble fiber before meals as needed

Other medications:
    30mg Lexapro daily
    Clonazepam as needed
    Carisoprodol as needed
    no hormone suppliments at this time

I agree with Donna. Has your attorney given you any info on how many they have won on appeal? Or any other words of encouragement? I don't know how this works but did the judge tell you the reason for the denial? Should you look into a different attorney perhaps? Somewhat of a "second opinion" just to make sure all documentation and processes were followed correctly and to the best of their ability?

I wish you the best-don't ever give up!

Sandra

ICN Member

Unhappy

I'm really sorry about your denial. Life and this is not fair so many times.
    I wish I had some words of wisdom for you, but I have not been in this particular situation...so I send hugs and hope and prayers that this is resolved very soon!
    Symptoms started Nov 2003.
    Diagnosed Nov 2004.
    In remission since Aug 2009.

Favorite quote: "Moderation kills." ~ Dr Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr.

ICN Member
    First, I am so sorry! I cant imagine how upsetting this must be! I would definately ask your atty what the statistics are and their experiances are with appeals. Obviously, there are people that win there or they wouldnt even have that option! And obviously, your atty thinks you have a case, or they a) wouldnt have taken your case to begin with and b) wouldnt want to invest anymore time without getting paid on your case if they didnt think they could still win. So, those are all good signs.

It sounds like you just had a bad judge. That happens, we dont like to think about it, but there are some out there. I mean, how they could let you leave there without benefits is beyond me! But, that was one guy on one day. Dont let this distort your view of things and let it get to you. (Easier said than done....I know!)

Once you find out the reason you were turned down, you will have something to work with and be able to give evidence refutting it. (And that's your attys job, by the way.)

I feel so bad for you. But, please know we are here for you!

Sending hugs,
    Amaranthe

What is a ALJ hearing? If you don't mind me asking?
    Started Vaginal Valium Suppositories April 2014
    Hysterectomy April 2003 (for abdominal pain),Diagnosed with IC August 2003
    Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Disorder 2004,Had right ovary and fallopan tube removed 2005
    Diagnosed with diverticulosis 2006,Interstim December 2006,Home Instillations 2007-not effective
    Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia November 2007,Appendectomy February 2008,
    Interstim repair December 2008,Removal of the Interstim August 2011,
    6 Hydrodistentions from 2003-2009 Diagnosed with restless leg syndrome March 2014
    Diagnosed with Raynaud's Syndrome November 2013
    Ambien 5mg for sleep.
    Elivil 50 mg at bed
    Lisinopril 20mg in AM
    Effexor 225 mg
    Oxycodone 10 mgs 2 x a day for pain
    Baclofen 20mg 3x a day
    Phenazopyridine 200 mg as needed
    Omeprazole 20 mg at night
    Lyrica 450 mg daily
    Requip .50 mg at night
    Ketorolac 10 mg as needed for migraines

ICN Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirs10 View Post
    What is a ALJ hearing? If you don't mind me asking?
    An Administrative Law Judge is the hearing for disability benefits. It takes anywhere from two to three years just to get to that point.
    It was a teleconference hearing here in Michigan where I am at and the judge was located in San Francisco.

ICN Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Peel View Post
    Oh, that is just rude. I can't imagine what you're going through, and the stress can't be good for your symptoms.

What were the grounds for the denial?
    From what I understand, the grounds for denial were "not enough medical evidence." Although I have been going to my urologist since I was 17 and im now 41. So, I really dont understand how thats not enough medical evidence. I have a call into my attorney now to discuss the statistics for appeal and what she thinks. Thanks for all the encouraging words.

Just Wondering

I got my date for my hearing yesterday, and am a little anxious about it. I first recieved a teleconference hearing date and my attorney doesn't like them so we refused it and asked for the one in front of the judge.....it has taken 4 months to get a new date. I areed to travel i could get an expeditited hearing. My attorney called yesterday and gave me the date......when I saw your ost I got nervous.

I am really sorry they denied you and hopefully your attorny can get things figured out during the appeal. I will have you in my prayers.

Kirsten
    Started Vaginal Valium Suppositories April 2014
    Hysterectomy April 2003 (for abdominal pain),Diagnosed with IC August 2003
    Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Disorder 2004,Had right ovary and fallopan tube removed 2005
    Diagnosed with diverticulosis 2006,Interstim December 2006,Home Instillations 2007-not effective
    Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia November 2007,Appendectomy February 2008,
    Interstim repair December 2008,Removal of the Interstim August 2011,
    6 Hydrodistentions from 2003-2009 Diagnosed with restless leg syndrome March 2014
    Diagnosed with Raynaud's Syndrome November 2013
    Ambien 5mg for sleep.
    Elivil 50 mg at bed
    Lisinopril 20mg in AM
    Effexor 225 mg
    Oxycodone 10 mgs 2 x a day for pain
    Baclofen 20mg 3x a day
    Phenazopyridine 200 mg as needed
    Omeprazole 20 mg at night
    Lyrica 450 mg daily
    Requip .50 mg at night
    Ketorolac 10 mg as needed for migraines

I am so sorry! That is just ridiculous and I don't know what to say. I'm floored.

ICN Member
    I would never give up. I went through the ringer trying to get disability even before IC. I have MS and had MAJOR panic attacks that caused me not to be able to even leave my house. I have high education and worked many years as a manager over 10 different offices for a large company. When it all hit the fan I was devastated. After many hearings my Daughter wrote a letter stating what I was like before the disability and what my life has become. It was that letter that persuaded the judge I was indeed disabled. If this in any way might help you then I would be incredibly pleased! Been there done that. Praying for better days ahead for you. Hugs, Ziggy

I really don't understand WHY your attorney would agree to a hearing over the phone? First and for most it's like looking at the computer screen (but hearing a voice)and not the person. That is just not right!! I think I would look into a new attorney.

I think Ziggy had a great idea of a letter. Maybe right a generalize letter about what life was about before and what it's like now have ALL your family and friends sign and date them and just flood ALJ with them all.

Sometimes all this SSD just makes me crazy . I won my case last year after waiting for several years on IC alone.

DON'T EVER GIVE UP! I wish the system was more workable, But what do you do!!

Sending you hugs and prayers.
    MARY

Serenity isn't freedom from the storm.....it's peace within the storm.....I had my sick bladder removed Jan 7th 2010.....Even though I had many complications.......I would do it again in a moment.....I have no regrets......Sunflowers in memory of my sister who passed March 14th 2010......they were her favorite....

ICN Member
    Please everyone keep trying. I got my approval letter today. I am one of the lucky ones. I applied three months ago and got my approval today. Thank God. I am so blessed. I will be praying for all of you who are still in the process. Make sure you list all of your illnesses even if they aren't related to your IC. If you have back trouble, depression, arthritis, whatever. Don't think that since it doesn't relate it doesn't matter. If it is an illness you have it will help you win your case. It's just one more thing that makes your life at work not do-able........ Good luck!!!

That's wonderful freckles. :woohoo: :woohoo: Sometimes I think it's just whatever state you live in as far as processing goes. But it is super great you didn't have to go to battle so to speak. Lord knows we have a daily battle as it is!

Hugs and blessings,
    MARY

Serenity isn't freedom from the storm.....it's peace within the storm.....I had my sick bladder removed Jan 7th 2010.....Even though I had many complications.......I would do it again in a moment.....I have no regrets......Sunflowers in memory of my sister who passed March 14th 2010......they were her favorite....

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information