Latest Blog Article: Summer 2014 IC Optimist Now Available
    ICN Member

Question Re Methylphen substituded for Prosed?

Hi everyone! I'm new here. I was diagnosed with IC about 2 1/2 years ago.

I recently had a flare, and I took a couple of Prosed samples that my doctor gave me, and they worked great. I then got a prescription from my doctor and tried to get it filled, and they replaced it with "Re Methylphen." I haven't been able to find out any information about this stuff online. It looks like "Methylphen" without the Re in front is the brand name for a stimulant used to treat ADD, which makes it even more confusing.

Has anyone heard of this stuff or had success with it? I really don't want to have to experiment with a new drug if I get a flare...

Dear Feelingfine -

I would call the pharmacy to see if they made a mistake. It definitely is an ADD medication.

NancyB

Yikes scary...I am so glad you caught this. Please do call the pharmacy! There is no generic for Prosed DS so if you are prescribed Prosed DS you should get just that, the brand name.

Please note that the following are just a couple of the ingredients in Prosed DS and are ingredients in most and possibly ALL of the bladder specific meds that make you pee blue:
    Methenamine (anti-infective / anti-bacterial)
    Methylene blue (antiseptic)

So are spelled kinda similar to what you were Rxd (Methylphen) but obviously NOT the same!!!

Keep us posted on what the outcome of this situation is! Hope it is resolved easily and quickly!

PS..Welcome to the board

ICN Member

thanks!

Thanks for the help, everyone! I just called the pharmacy back and had a long chat with the manager over there. According to him, "RE Methylphen" is indeed the brand name of a generic version of Prosed DS manufactured by a company, River's Edge Pharmaceuticals, which doesn't have a website as far as I can tell. The guy said I could come to the pharmacy and look at the bottle if I wanted to see the ingredients, since there was no monograph for the tablets I got from the pharmacy. The pharmacy guy was aware that Methylphen is also the brand name of an ADD stimulant. He read me the ingredients of this generic stuff over the phone.

I've recently been diagnosed with ADD, and I've been experimenting with stimulants, and ironically enough, my most recent flare was caused by an ADD stimulant, LOL! I've been very lucky and have been almost flare-free over the last year.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome and the help!

ICN Member
    I just started another thread about generic Prosed. I was just given Re Methylphen for the first time. It does not work well for me. My mouth feels like cotton, I am always thirsty, I have a bad taste in my mouth, and I wake up at night because I need to urinate and I can't. I just had the pharmacy fill my prescription for the original. The generic isn't even that much cheaper. I don't recommend it at all.

Hi farmwife
    I've just found you over here on this thread! Boy this is getting confusing isn't it lol. I hope you'll let us all know how this turns out. I just can't imagine a med for the central nervous system has now become a generic for Prosed. Kind of scary if you ask me.

Best,
    Dakota

ICN Member
    I e-mailed Ferring Pharmaceuticals about the "generic" form of Prosed from River's Edge. They replied that there is no generic form of Prosed DS. Some products claim to be a generic, but have different ingredients or different amounts of the ingredients in Prosed DS. I plan to pass this information on to my pharmacist. River's Edge does have a web site, but it is not very helpful.

I'm glad you have gotten to the bottom of this, and you are now back on the real Prosed D/S. Hope you're feeling better soon.

ICN Member
    I am feeling better. Only had to get up once last night to go to the bathroom!

ICN Member
    Quote Originally Posted by farmwife View Post
    I just started another thread about generic Prosed. I was just given Re Methylphen for the first time. It does not work well for me. My mouth feels like cotton, I am always thirsty, I have a bad taste in my mouth, and I wake up at night because I need to urinate and I can't. I just had the pharmacy fill my prescription for the original. The generic isn't even that much cheaper. I don't recommend it at all.
    Great Post and Thank you. I agree . In fact I even told me doc they were not the same and to tell CVS no subs I think the other was 4.00 and I had to pay 7.00 when I picked up the Prosed.. At that point I was happy, I had overworked my mind while driving to to CVS it was going to cost 100.00 so I was very happy with the 7.00.
    Have a good day and i hope you are having a pain free day.
    C-rella

ICN Member
    I am feeling great! Good to be back on real Prosed. The pharmacist at Walgreens just shrugged when I showed him the e-mail from Ferring saying there is no generic Prosed. He did give me my money back for the ones I had left, though. Thank you for confirming my feeling that the "generic" did not work. I wonder if it works for anyone.
    I did pay over $100 for a month's supply--the generic was only a few dollars cheaper. Maybe I should check CVS. (Maybe you have better insurance).

ICN Member
    I am feeling great! Good to be back on real Prosed. The pharmacist at Walgreens just shrugged when I showed him the e-mail from Ferring saying there is no generic Prosed. He did give me my money back for the ones I had left, though. Thank you for confirming my feeling that the "generic" did not work. I wonder if it works for anyone.
    I did pay over $100 for a month's supply--the generic was only a few dollars cheaper. Maybe I should check CVS. (Maybe you have better insurance).
    I received a qty of 20 for 7.00. That was my co-pay.

The forst RX was Ultra C Below is the stuff in it

METHENAMINE/METH BLUE/SALICYLATE/SOD PHOS/HYOSCYAMINE - ORAL
    Pronounced: (meth-EN-uh-meen/METH-ih-leen blue/sa-LI-si-late/SOE-dee-um,FOS-fate/hye-oh-SYE-a-meen)

And Prosed is the below stuff init as well

METHENAMINE (Hexamethylenetetramine) exists as colorless, lustrous crystals or white crystalline powder. Its solutions are alkaline to litmus. Freely soluble in water; soluble in alcohol and in chloroform.

PHENYL SALICYLATE (2-hydroxybenzoic acid phenyl ester) exists as white crystals with a melting point of 40-43C. It is very slightly soluble in water and freely soluble in alcohol.

METHYLENE BLUE (methylthionine chloride) exists as dark green crystals. It is soluble in water and in chloroform; sparingly soluble in alcohol.

BENZOIC ACID (benzenecarboxylic acid) exists as white crystals, scales or needles. It has a slight odor and is slightly soluble in water; freely soluble in alcohol, in chloroform and in ether.

HYOSCYAMINE SULFATE (l-tropyl tropate) is an alkaloid of belladonna. It exists as a white crystalline powder. Its solutions are alkaline to litmus and affected by light. It is slightly soluble in water; freely soluble in alcohol; sparingly soluble in ether.

Anyway, as far as "stuff" goes they each have a major and the the other as it goes. We were right. i thought I would check and just see for myself. Although the feeling was my clue. How many pills did you get for a month supply? CVS is pretty good on RX cost compared to WalMart.
    In order to reduce cost can you do a mail order?

Anyway I am off to take my meds it is time Have a good night.

ICN Member
    I get 90--I was taking 3 a day, but now I am down to 2 a day. I don't have a copay for prescriptions. My insurance has a huge deductible. We are self-employed and pay for our own insurance. I should check around for better prices, though.
    Thanks for the information. By the way, I have slept all night without having to get up to "go" three nights in a row!

ICN Member
    I get 90--I was taking 3 a day, but now I am down to 2 a day. I don't have a copay for prescriptions. My insurance has a huge deductible. We are self-employed and pay for our own insurance. I should check around for better prices, though.
    Thanks for the information. By the way, I have slept all night without having to get up to "go" three nights in a row!
    Firstly and most importantly, I am glad you have 3 great nights. Hopefully you were able to get some rest. I really think Walmart might be the cheapest. I do hope you find better prices though!! Take care and I look forward to reading from you in other posts!!
    Respectfully,
    CRella

Thread Information