Latest Blog Article: New IC Treatments Use Liposomes To Deliver BotoxA Into The Bladder

Thread: DMSO and Smell

DMSO and Smell

Hi I had my first DMSO instill thursday.

I had a cysto/hydro/DMSO under anastetic on Thurday, when I woke up I had a lot od bladder burning and a real urge to void, I was told I should try to hold the DMSO for a while, after a bit the strong urge to void abated some so I wasn't so uncomfortable. They wanted me to wait until I was sent back to daycare if I could so I did.

Once back in daycare I was really thirsty so I started drinking lots, I now realize it was the and still is the taste in my month from the DMSO that made me feel this way.

Anyways after a while I need to void so I went to use the bathroom and alls I got was a few dribbles and blood clots, I was told this was normal to try again in a bit. I have IC but I also have severe urinary retention, any procedures make the retention worse. So the afternoon went on me drinking but not being able to void. The nurse finally called my uro who said if I wanted to go home 200 miles away I had to go home with a cath and a bag for the drive, or as long as I was going a little, I could leave the hospital but I needed to stay nearby and comeback if I stopped voiding all together. This is what I chose to do, I was up all night every 1/2 to 1 hour drinking and dribbling by the next day I was voiding better, not normal but I was getting some relief.

The thing is my husband has been complaining big time about my smell, which of course I can't smell. I had the treatment on Thurs am and now it is Sat am and I still smell as bad and the taste in my mouth is as bad. I know everyone is different but do you think my smell and taste is still so bad because it was at least 4 hours before I started to get any of the DMSO out of me, and who knows how long before it was all out.

Any suggestions to help with smell and taste, it is our 25 annaversary tonight and have people comeing over for dinner, my family say I still smell bad enough to bowl over people?

Good thing it is good freinds comeing for dinner.

I am going to go sit in the hot tub for a while to see If I will sweet out some of the smell, and I will show just before freinds arrive, and use body wash and scented powder and or cream and perfume. I will continue to drink lots throughtout the day, I hope the taste inprove some so I can enjoy dinner tonight.

Thanks for any suggestions, I did read quite a bit of peoples ideas before writting this so if you don't answer this redunant? I will understand I know it has been asked over and over again, I mostly needed some one to talk too.

Thanks for listening, I have not been on the site for quite a while not because I gave up on it but because I have been way traveling the world.

Thanks MG

ICN Member

Red face

Hey MamaGoose
    Longtime no talk!
    I wish I had some words of wisdom for you regarding the DMSO and the smell...I have heard of that smell that comes along with DMSO treatment but have never had DMSO myself...breath mints, perfume, strongly scented shampoo, conditioner, and other hair products ?????I am sorry I don't know what else to recommend! If you are cooking tonight make sure that all the dishes contain a lot of garlic so everyone will have garlic breath???

Well, more than that, my main concern is that you are not experiencing retention right now....I hope you are no longer experiencing "dribbilitus" so that you can rest easy in that dept and are able to relieve yourself with no issues as that is much more important than the way you smell (health-wise, anyway!).

I wish I had more and better suggestions, MG, but hopefully the highly scented hair products and such, along with sauteeing lots of garlic and onion, whether you use them in your dishes or not tonight, can detract from your smell issues?? I am sorry you're having to deal w/ this tonight, but please take heart knowing that the odor is temporary!!!
    Symptoms started Nov 2003.
    Diagnosed Nov 2004.
    In remission since Aug 2009.

Favorite quote: "Moderation kills." ~ Dr Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr.

Hi thanks for the reply my husband says I smell more like antastetic than garlic, so little harder to hide. I just had a hotub, vacummed to sweat, and a perfumie bath. Thye are good friends and they know the score so I am sure they won't mind well they won't complain if they do.

I was able to pee this afternoon 600 +cc at once so I feel lots better.

Well compnay has arrived so got to go. Thanks MG

After DMSO Treatments

I'm on my course of treatments of DMSO, I don't think I smell, but my husband says I do smell like garlic that has sat out for a day, my co-worker says I smell like raw hamburger. I take a hot shower wash my hair, & use a body wash. I use feminem spray underneath my light day pad. It's really hard to keep the treatment in. It doesn't matter how long you hold it in the smell is there. Cooking Italian for the day is a great plan, my husband's grandmother was Italian & I know she would of like me with my garlic smell. I know my nose doesn't smell the garlic, only the DMSO liquid smell before I get the treatment. Yes it does burn & you hurt worse than before you have it. I just hope & pray they find a cure soon.I would like to be normal, not have a pain level of a 4 daily. Although we all have been this way for awhile. I think of Erma Bombeck, if life is like a bowl of cherries, what am I doing here in the pits. Hope you get better, & hope you get relief soon. I know we are all different, but in ways we are alike. May God Bless you with better days ahead.

I'm undergoing DMSO as well.. My husband says I smell like garlic. My kids say I smell like butter popcorn. I don't really have a solution for you about not smelling. Maybe do what we do...we always make something with a lot of garlic in it when I get home from my DMSO...that way everyone else smells too.

Hutto, Texas (30 miles or so outside of Austin)
    When I was doing DMSO treatments, yes it is garlic that everyone is smelling (you don't smell it yourself for some odd reason- unless I'm the "odd one"). if you work, I would probably do this in the afternoon, this way you can go home, and take a bath afterwards and hopefully you don't smell the next day.

ICN Member
    It surely smells. No way around that, but if it helps you ask your husband to be understanding, it is about your health and the smell is gone in a few days.

I just started DMSO treatments and my daughter says I smell like garlic, too. I can't smell it at all. I wonder why some people can smell themselves and others can't? I'm not sure how to hide the smell - this thread has some good info, though, because in a few weeks I am going back to school, and I'm pretty sure there will be days when I will be in class & reeking of garlic.

Cooking garlicky stuff on the day of the treatment is brilliant, by the way.

I had my first treatment yesterday, and I experienced a lot of burning, and now my bladder aches. I am also more tired than usual. Is this normal? I guess the increase in pain could do it. I am exhausted and sore, and hoping that this works.

I am another one that had DMSO treatments.. I never could smell it but husband sure could even before we left the room after having the treatment.. Told me I smelled like a Pizza Factory lol... With me it would last about 2 days..
    God brought me to it, He will bring me through it!!!

Diagnosed 2003
    by cysto/hydro
    Elmiron took almost a year- made me sick, caused diarrhea
    Pyridium -Made me sick
    Detrol and Ditropan- caused constipation
    Trying DMSO instill- had 5 out of 6
    Started Oxytrol Patch- no side affects so far --Jan 2011
    stopped using them after 3 months-- skin was getting irritated
    Cysto/hydro April 6ht 2011-- on expansion only hold one cup
    IBS/ IC
    High blood pressure meds and Crestor
    Sinequan

When I was on DMSO, the smell and taste lasted anywhere from 24 to 36 hours.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

My sister would drive me back home from my treatments, she would be in there with me when I would get my treatment. She noticed the smell when the opened the meds, before I received the treatment. My bladder would spasm more after the treatment & it would hurt more. 70 miles was a long trip back home, I felt like a little old lady of 90. My family are a great strength & support. I still have a daily pain level of 4, but I am greatful & thankful for what I have.In Aleut"Ilaanuning Agitaadas matalgaa i gamanazax." It's good to have family & friends.

ICN Member

Dsmo

I have not had a DSMO treatment for some years. I didn't realize they still used it. I don't recall it helped me. Have some had success with this treatment?

Hutto, Texas (30 miles or so outside of Austin)
    I use to have this treatment. It did help me. I did smell like garlic, but I couldn't smell myself. My co-workers and family sure did though.

ICN Member
    I had a few DMSO treatments years ago. I was living with my Mom and she complained that I smelled like rotten eggs, not garlic. Within 3 days the odor was gone. DMSO didn't help my pain so I dropped it quickly.
    Current Treatments: Enablex 7.5/day

Previously Treatments: Elmiron 300mg/day, DMSO instillations, Elavil 12.5mg/night, Detrol LA
    4mg/day

Other ailments:
    Migraines: Imitrex, Treximet
    Anxiety/Depression: Klonopin 3mg/day
    Mood Swings: Seroquel 300mg/night

Thread Information