Latest Blog Article: ICN E-Newsletter - October 24, 2014 - New IC Treatment Guidelines Released, Clinical Trial, Research & Clinic News
    ICN Member

Vegetarian IC-friendly lasagna?

Hi everyone,

does anyone know a vegetarian IC-friendly lasagna recipe? I haven't had lasagna for years! Pesto instead of tomato sauce?

Thanks!

ICN Member
    I made a white vegetarian lasagna for my boyfriend a few weeks ago and we both loved it. I made a home-made alfredo sauce (butter, cream, fresh parmesean cheese) and then made a mixture of sauteed portabello mushrooms, sauteed baby spinach, onions, and garlic. I used ricotta, mozzerella, and parmesean cheese. I have the recipe at home, but I can post it here later if you're interested...
    Diagnosed with IC on 7/25/2008 via cysto/hydro.

Elmiron -- 100 mg 2 times a day (began 7/28/08)
    Elmiron instills (began on 7/29/08) (I now receive instillations on an as-needed basis -- which is rarely. They helped a lot in the beginning!)
    Cystoprotek -- 2 pills once a day (began on 7/31/08)
    Hydroxyzine -- 50 mg at bedtime
    Following the IC diet (began 7/26/08) (I now cheat a lot and am usually okay...even with white wine, beer, tomatoes, chocolate, etc. Although I do always take Prelief first).
    Urelle as needed

Symptoms: frequency, bladder pressure.

So far I believe that one of my triggers is caffeine (coffee, diet soda, tea). Causes frequency.

Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux ~ Le Petit Prince

(Here is my secret. It is very simple. One can only see clearly with the heart. Everything that is essesntial is invisible to the eyes.)

ICN Member

Smile

Mmm mmm that sounds like a really good lasagna. I would love to have a copy of the recipe when you get a chance! I am not very good at making lasagna's - yet!

Thanks!

ICN Member
    Okay...I'll look for it when I get home and post it here for you. It was the first lasagna I've ever made by myself and it turned out really great. I used the no-bake noodles and they made it really easy.

Elmiron instills (began on 7/29/08) (I now receive instillations on an as-needed basis -- which is rarely. They helped a lot in the beginning!)
    Following the IC diet (began 7/26/08) (I now cheat a lot and am usually okay...even with white wine, beer, tomatoes, chocolate, etc. Although I do always take Prelief first).
    Urelle as needed

So far I believe that one of my triggers is caffeine (coffee, diet soda, tea). Causes frequency.

Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux ~ Le Petit Prince

(Here is my secret. It is very simple. One can only see clearly with the heart. Everything that is essesntial is invisible to the eyes.)

Portabella Mushroom Lasagna

On the food network website, you can look up the Barefoot Contessa's recipe for portobello mushroom lasagna. The recipe too long to post here. Just type it in the search field and it should be the first one to come up. The recipe was posted in 2006. I use mozzarella instead of parmesean when I'm in a flare, but sometimes I can use kraft parmesaen cheese when my bladder is feeling really good.

This is a crowd pleaser, I make it for special dinners and holidays. Someone always asks me for the recipie when I serve it!

You can also assemble the lasagna in the morning. Put in the fridge, un-cooked, with saran wrap. (I wouldn't store for more than 24 hours) Then pop in the oven and cook for hassle free meal! This also freezes well in indivdual portions!

Ina Gartens recipes are the best!

(\__/)
    (o.O )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. He's on his way to world domination.

ICN Member
    Quote Originally Posted by psj View Post
    Hi everyone,

does anyone know a vegetarian IC-friendly lasagna recipe? I haven't had lasagna for years! Pesto instead of tomato sauce?

Thanks!
    All the suggestions posted sound delish!
    But I am not a huge fan of creamy/alfredo sauces so for me I would make a veggie lasagna w/ pesto sauce and some ricotta cheese...love pesto sauce!!! I would use veggies and fresh or dried herbs I know I can tolerate like spinach. zucchini, yellow squash, sauteed garlic and onion, eggplant, steamed carrots and such.
    Symptoms started Nov 2003.
    Diagnosed Nov 2004.
    In remission since Aug 2009.

Favorite quote: "Moderation kills." ~ Dr Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr.

ICN Member
    If you want one that will stick to your ribs, my favorite meat substitute has always been Kasha (buckwheat groats). It takes some work to pre-cook, but it has abundant texture and flavor you don't get with many veggies.
    Karin
    I am not a doctor. If I seem to be giving medical advice, please do disregard it. Or I shall be forced to shoot.

Diagnosed with glomerulations, IC May 8, 2009

Symptoms since childhood
    Appears to run in the family

Medications/supplements for IC:
    200:1 Aloe Vera Gel Extract Capsules 100 mg. per day
    Cystoprotek when a potential flare doesn't respond to diet.

IBS medications:
    40mg Nexium daily
    Soluble fiber before meals as needed

Other medications:
    30mg Lexapro daily
    Clonazepam as needed
    Carisoprodol as needed
    no hormone suppliments at this time

ICN Member

sorry it took me so long to post this!!

Sorry about the delay in posting the recipe. It's been a crazy week. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
    20 lasagna noodles
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    2 cups fresh spinach
    3 cups ricotta cheese
    2/3 cup grated Romano cheese (Not ok for all IC patients, mozzarella can be substituted. Note from diet forum moderator.)
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 egg
    3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
    3 cups tomato pasta sauce*
    (*NOTE substitution of alfredo sauce below! Most IC patients cannot tolerate tomato. Note from diet forum moderator)
    1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add lasagna noodles and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.

3. In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook mushrooms, onions, and garlic in olive oil until onions are tender. Drain excess liquid and cool. Boil spinach for 5 minutes. Drain, then squeeze out excess liquid. Chop spinach.

4. Combine ricotta cheese, Romano cheese, spinach, salt, oregano, basil, pepper, and egg in a bowl. Add cooled mushroom mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Lay 5 lasagna noodles in bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Spread one third of the cheese/spinach mixture over noodles. Sprinkle 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese on top. Spread 1 cup spaghetti sauce over cheese. Repeat layering 2 times.

5. Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated oven for 1 hour. Cool 15 minutes before serving.

I changed a few things. I used fresh baby spinach that I sauteed in olive oil instead of frozen spinach. I also used the no-bake noodles, which worked out well. Lastly, I made a home-made alfredo sauce instead of using tomato sauce. Here's the recipe for that:

*Alfredo Sauce

1/4 cup butter
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 clove crushed garlic
    1 1/2 cups fresh grated parmesean
    1/4 parsley

Melt butter over low heat. Add cream and simmer for 5 minutes, then add garic and cheese and whisk quickly, heating through.

Hope you like it!
    Last edited by kadi; 05-21-2009 at 03:07 PM.

Urelle as needed

ICN Member

Thank you!

Wow - thanks for all the great tips and recipes!

I am going to make lasagna this evening - can't wait!!

Thread Information