Latest Blog Article: Is Interstitial Cystitis Caused by Anger? No!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone have a "Uroflow Test?"

I am leaving soon to have this test done.I was wondering,what is the purpose of this,is it to see if the bladder is retaining??What was your outcome??
    Michelle

Uroflow testing measures the volume you urinate, how fast the urine comes out, and how long it takes you to urinate. You need to urinate into a special toilet that has measuring equipment in it. Sometimes they ask you not to urinate for 2 hours before the test so that your bladder is really full... yikes!! Not sure I could do it.

It's often done as part of more complete "urodynamics" testing -- urodynamics also includes a cystometrogram, which is where they put a catheter in and fill your bladder slowly... you are supposed to tell them when your first urge to void is, when you've really got to void, and when you are about to become homicidal and/or punch one of them because it is so painful. After the cystometrogram you are asked to void into the machine for the uroflow in this case. Since they know how much they filled you up with, and they can see how much came out again, they can tell if you are retaining when these are used together.

Good luck with the test!!

Jen

Thanks Jen,
    I just got back.I had to drink 32 oz of water for 1.5 hrs before the appt.,sat on the specail toilet hooked up to the machine that told the flow amount ,stream,etc.,then she did the bladder scan and it said that I was reataining 267 ml...I dont know if this is alot or what?
    michelle

Hi Michele

Yowch! 267 ml is a lot to be retaining... once I was retaining 220 ml and it was no fun at all!!!

What did your dr. suggest? Anything?

Jen

I am having a Cysto done next week.Last one I had a couple months ago didnt show anything.I am on antibiotics right now for that "white slimey thing",turned out to be bacteria called "Lactobacilli"

Question Sarojini,

If after the Uroflow if you are retaining alot shouldnt they catheterize you to get it all out???
    My Uro was not even there at all just the assistant ,that is new...she was there during the Uroflow...when I asked her questions she didnt have any answers at all she just kept saying I can leave a note for the DR and he can get back to you on Monday....ARGGHHH!!!!
    I hope you have a great Easter with no flares!!!!
    Michelle
    This urgency is driving me nuts and when I go...my bladder still feels full like I need to go alot more but my bladder wont let me

Chell,

Did you have a VCU done at all? I can't remember how to spell the full test name, a voiding Cystourethrography? Mine was in March... I was catheterized and my bladder was filled with a special contrast imaging fluid (I'm tryin to remember all the terms and saying DUH! lol) You're asked to remain "calm" until they fill the bladder as much as possible before you feel you REALLY have to go. My toes were curling and I was squirming on the x-ray table... all the while the radiologist is x-raying the bladder filling and emptying, which u get to do in a bag infront of the radiologist and usually a nurse or tech. It wasnt THAT bad because I got to watch on a monitor and it was neat... but the urinating infront of others was uncomfortable.

The radiologist was able to conclude "normalcy" so it hasn't helped me get diagnosed, but I know they are able to use the test to check for numerous things (stones, reflux, diverticula, etc...)

Hope you can have a nice Easter!

Chelle

Happy Easter to Everyone

ICchell -- yes, it seems very strange to me that they did not catheterize you to remove the residual urine... especially since they knew quite a bit was in there! Generally they don't like to leave urine in there if possible, because retention can cause infection.

I'm sure you're really uncomfortable if you are retaining... I don't know if it will make you feel better to have company, but today I'VE been retaining right along with you. I've got the "gotta go feeling" and then I go sit down and nothing happens... so I sit there for a while trying to relax. Eventually something comes out, but I'm not convinced my bladder is empty.

I hate to say it, but if you are really uncomfortable, there is always the ER... not a fun place to go, but if suddenly it gets so you can't void at all, they CAN cath you there.

I hope you don't need to go... good luck, and I hope you feel better soon

Jen

Thanks Jen,
    Im trying to hang on till Monday when the URo is supposed to be calling...yes it is very uncomfortable and my stomach is so distended...this sounds strange but ever since I drank the 32 oz of water before the Uroflow ...it seemed to make my bladder feel worse.The ride to my Mothers house (near Boston is going to be tough)

Amethyst,I have heard of that test but I havent had it done,sounds so uncomfortable!!!.....I know how you feel I dont have a diagnosis yet either...my Uro suggested possibly a bladder fistula but he hasnt actully checked for that yet.
    Have a great Easter! Michelle

BTW Jen,my hubby went to get a sticker for Race Point today at 5 a.m....he said it was crazy the line was all the way out to RTE 6...:yikes: other people that were there were in line for a sticker since 1 pm the day before ...isnt that insane!!!!...after these people waited forever in line alot of em got turned down...they only gave out 400 of em!!It s because of these fishing sites that he goes on and everone is posting about it...so hundreds of people showed up.Crazy

Michelle,

WOW... that is one long line!!! My father told me he went down to get a sticker for Nauset Beach about 2 months ago to try and avoid the line. He said even in the middle of February there were a few other people down there doing the same. It is really getting to be a popular thing to do!!!

Well, good luck with your car ride up to Boston today! I don't know what to suggest for the car, I have yet to find a good solution for long car rides myself... I tried the IC cushion from the ICN Shop, and it helps a LOT, but it doesn't totally eliminate the discomfort. *sigh*

Have a happy Easter!!

Jen

Thanks Jen,
    I hope you are feeling better now!
    Wow,i didnt know that they give out the Nauset sticker in the winter.That was smart of your Dad to do

I made the car ride to Boston without stopping once:thumbsup:
    I was amazed! I did go to the bathroom about 20 times at my moms house.I know that Im still retaining but isnt as uncomfortable as the other day.

I just dont want to keep repeating this darn cycle of retention,infection then antibiotics.I know being on antibiotics all the time is not good,lowers your immune system.
    Hope you had a good Easter!
    Michelle
    P.S. Jen,
    Can that really happen that you cant urinate at all? :yikes: sounds scary!!

Angel watching over us

Retention

I retain about 200 cc per void. I had the Uro-flow and it made me crazy. All that fluid, yipes. I also found out I had a cystocele(my bladder is protruding into my vagina). I get bloated too. Hope everyone had a great Easter.

Hugs,
    Barb
    (Babs passed away in April 2009. We honor her memory and remember her fondly. - Jill O. ICN President & Founder)

[SIZE="1"]Proud mama of a gift named Lindsey who taught me through her autism what is important in life:angel:
    :angel: IC Angel Volunteer Coordinator :angel:
    :) Contact me via PM or e-mail if you would like to help
    I have learned all about life in 3 words: It goes on! :D--Robert Frost
    PCOS 7/85
    RSD 7/94 :headbang:
    Endometriosis 9/98 :toilet:
    Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome 9/99
    Kidney stones--too many to count
    Factor V Leiden mutation 10/02
    IC 6/03 :evilsmile
    Deep Venous Thrombosis and Cellulitis 12/05 :loco: DVT and Greenfield Placed 3/14/08
    "Spirit is an invisible force made visible in all of life"--Maya Angelou
    "Ohana means family--no one gets left behind or forgotten." Stitch[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Hi Michele,

Yep, my dad called down to the Orleans police dept one year, and they told him that as soon as the New Year happens, they start doing inspections and issuing stickers for Nauset. So, now, he and my mom often go down to the Cape either for a day trip, or for the weekend sometime in February and they get the sticker then. Lines are much shorter

That's great you made the drive without stopping. :thumbsup: Sorry that you used the bathroom so often, but I can sympathize... I actually started doing a voiding diary again today to see if my DMSOs have helped at all... I have urinated 19 times so far today. It is still abnormal, but before I began treatment sometimes I'd have gone about 25-30 times by this time in the evening, so maybe it's helped a little. *shrug* I was expecting it to be better than this after 6 treatments though... since normal people urinate 7 times or less per day, and none at night, I have a ways to go yet...

And yes, it can happen that you can't urinate at all... well, I guess sometimes you can get little dribbles out. This happened to me once right before I was going to have my 1st DMSO-- my bladder just gave up and locked up and I couldn't pee more than two drops at a time, but I felt like I had to go really bad the whole time. They cathed me and drained my bladder for me (several urine specimen containers worth came out!), but it was agony since everything was in spasm. If I hadn't already been scheduled at the uro's I probably would have considered an ER trip that day...

I hope you are doing well tonight!!!

Hugs

jen

Jen

Babs,
    That sounds like alot of fluid!Sorry that you found out you had a cystocele!
    Jen,
    That does happen to me when I go to urinate...I feel like I have to go alot and only dribbles come out.Last night i had blood and clots.
    Imagine only going 7 times a day...I forget what it feels like...Wow,sorry that you went 19 times in one day!!!! I pray that your treatments will work better and you will go less often.

Feel better soon!!

Hi Michelle

Yeah, 19 times is annoying... by the time I went to bed last night I had gone 23 times. Today I'm still doing the voiding diary and so far I have gone 14 times today, and the day isn't over. Crap. This is still abnormal. I am considering calling my uro and telling him we have to do something about my incessant peeing again (this is what I told him the first time I saw him)

Oh, and Barb, I am always feeling bloated these days too... it is sooo uncomfortable... I hate the "IC Belly."

Jen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information