Latest Blog Article: Special Orange County IC Support Group Event - Sept 21, 2014
    ICN Member

Bad Flare! not even azo standard is helping it.

I dont understand why I'm in such a bad flare I haven't felt this bad in 15 years (I'm 22 years old now) I keep on having bad urges to urinate even after 5 min since I last went to the bathroom I accually feel pain too with my bladder, plus it feels heavy all the time, which I never really had before. I tried to take 3 azo standards (what it normally takes to control it) and it doesn't do anything but make my urine turn orange, but doesn't help with the pain Would any of you know what is causing this? or what would help me? I'm really close to starting my period and I know that before I'm on my period I urinate more, but not this bad. Once the blood starts to flow, its like I have a normal bladder, for the first two days of my period, than I'm miserble after that. Would any of you know of pain relieve options or something to help keep me from needing to pee every 5 min. This has been getting me depressed. This started (slowely getting worse and worse, after i lost my grandma to a kidney infection (5 months ago) could this also be stress related?

ICN Member
    It is also, waking me up every 30 min for the past few weeks. I can't get a good nights sleep. I can't see a doctor for a little while. I am due for a full physical with my gyn should I bring this up to them or not? Could they do anything? As I haven't had good exp. with urologists, except one, but i no longer live in the same state that I saw him.

ICN Member

try the "blue meds"

You may want to ask your doctor about getting urelle, prosed or utira-c. These work much better than pyridium and are safer for long term use. They sanitize the urine and are antispasmodics which help with the urgency. They turn your urine blue! Your doctor may carry free samples of urelle or prosed for you to try. You don't need to wait for your next appt. to ask aobut them, they can be called in directly to a pharmacy by your doctor's office if they are willing. I hope you can get some relief from them. Good luck to you.

ICN Member
    Thanks for giving names of other medicines that may help with this flare, I would like to use something that would accaully work for this pain, as I don't like having to use the bathroom every 5 min.

ICN Member
    How come azo standard stopped working out of the blue? It doesn't matter if I even try to take 4 pills insted of 3, but then it ends up making me nauseated too, insted of helping my bladder at all. Its like I have a chronic heavy feeling in my bladder, and I'm often in pain (something I have never had)

Have you been checked for infection? It sounds like a possibility.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

Do you have a general practitioner who could test for an infection? Also, you might want to look for a good urologist. They all have different personalities and you may find one you like. I had a doctor call me back last night from my uro's office because I have been flaring too. I wasn't particularly crazy about her. I could tell we didn't really mesh and I am glad I am not her patient even though I am sure she is a competent doctor. I have a male doctor who I really like. He is young and really compassionate. It takes time to find a doctor you like. Also, since you are young, it is a good idea to bring someone older who you trust to advocate for you during your appointment. It just sounds like you need a urologist.

I hope you feel better soon.

PS Have you tried drinking water with some baking soda (yucky but works) or following the IC diet?

ICN Member

Thank God for this site!

I know this is an old thread, but here is my two cents: I have taken a second dose of Azo today and not only has it not relieved my flare it seems like the burning is worse after initially taking the pills. I asked my uro for something for pain as a stop-gap until amitryptilene can take effect and he suggested nothing. Now, I read above about urelle, prosed and ultira C. This is a great resource for information!

ICN Member
    I just found out that the medicines named above (urelle, prosed and ultira C) interact badly amitryptilene.

ICN Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ICNeil View Post
    I just found out that the medicines named above (urelle, prosed and ultira C) interact badly amitryptilene.
    Give "Vaxa Buffer PH" a try, natural easy to get on line in the US and lowers the acid in the urine so should help with the pain. Been on it for 15 years and it is my life line.

ICN Member
    Thanks for the tip! I will ask this question: I do take Prelief which is supposed to neutralize the acid in the foods we eat. Is Vaxa Buffer PH similar? It may not matter, as I will try anything at this point. 2:20 AM, no sleep tonight for me. Thank you for caring enough to reach put and reply.

ICN Member
    Hi no prelief didnt work for me and just gave me really bad constipation. Vaxa Buffer PH has several natural ingrediants like alow vera powder, cucumber powder, a whole list of things that calms the bladder. Just google ingrediants. In the "old" days it was sold as a relief for IC but that was before the days of legal action for claiming things like that. I could not live with out it and we import it to Aus 3 bottles at a time. You may also have a bladder infection so you need to go to your emergency center and get a test as you may need antibiotics.
    Hope you feel better soon IC is a horrid thing i totally hate it.

ICN Member
    Hi, Tina! Thanks for the reply. I did go to my local urgent care exactly one week ago. My urine tested positive for nitrates and leukycytes and I was put on cipro, but the lab was unable to grow a culture. I saw my uro on Friday, 20 September and since the urine showed no culture, he said I should stop taking the antibiotic. I think IC and related illnesses are hellish.

ICN Member
    I just pray it works with the first dose!

Thread Information