What are some O.K. spices???

Hi,
    I really need some input on what spices you guys find to be O.K. for you. I know everyone is different, but just to give me a general idea. I can use salt, and I have used garlic. That is it so far. I am just afraid. When you get a flare, you wonder if it is worth it sometimes. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Karen

Hey Karen,

I have been cooking for most of my life (and have been pretty good at it according to other people!<blush...!>), but I had never really experimented that much with spices and herbs on my own. I usually just followed recipes.

Now that I have IC, however, I am having a great time experimenting with all of the spices we can have! And considering all of the other things we have to give up, I am thrilled that we can have so many of these!

I can safely use:
    Rosemary
    Celery Seed
    Celery Leaves
    Parsley
    Chives
    Bay Leaves
    Tarragon (has a wonderful "sweet" taste to it!)
    Basil
    Garlic
    Garlic Powder (not garlic salt)
    Thyme
    Oregano
    Dill
    Cinnamon (a "little dash" goes a long way!)
    Vanilla
    Salt

Those are the ones I use most frequently, but if I think of any more I will let you know. Also, these are all in dried form; I used to buy fresh herbs when I actually had $$, but being on a very skinny budget these days, the dried versions are really just as good and they last a lot longer! (Hubby loves black pepper, so I just have it in a grinder sitting on the table.)

Additionally, I keep Minced Garlic on hand, the kind in the jars that need to stay in the frig; very handy and easy to use. You can even find it packed in olive oil. BUT--be very careful and always check labels! I bought some "crushed garlic" in a jar and it had Citric Acid in it!!! Argh!

Also, be very leery of spice/herb combinations you find in the grocery! Some of these have preservatives and additives in them! Again, Always Check Labels!

I also used to eat A LOT of onions, and I thought I would really miss them when I started the IC diet. But, I just use garlic or chives instead and I hardly ever even think about onions anymore! I haven't tried leeks yet, but they are much too pricey right now!

I love sage, cumin, curry and dry mustard for several dishes that I used to prepare, but--I haven't taken a chance on those yet! I know that sage is on the okay list, but for some reason my intuition is stopping me! And I always try to follow my intuition! But, maybe I will get brave one of these days!

Anyway, like I said, I am having a great time experimenting with all of these spices and herbs, and I think I am actually becoming a better cook than I was before IC!

Just have fun with them and experiment!

~Beth
    Last edited by BT2008; 04-06-2009 at 10:17 AM. Reason: clarity
    I am not a physician, so please do not mistake any of my comments as medical advice. I am just a fellow sufferer sharing my experience with IC.

Scheduled for Radical Cystectomy & Indiana Pouch, July 16, 2009

Hit with severe pelvic pain on 6/14/08 (7:05pm): GYN, MRI, CT, laparoscopy, colonoscopy: All Clear
    DX'ed with Severe IC: Findings during cystoscopy and hydro-distention on 9/11/08 showed: scattered areas of hemorrhage and glomerulizations, w/bloody efflux. Update: Had second cysto/hydro on 5/21/09: My uro said "there were thousands of lesions" all over my bladder.
    Current Meds: Bladder Instills (self-adm 3 x per week or PRN); MS Contin; Lortab (PRN); Zanaflex; Maxide; Estradiol Patch
    Other helpful remedies: IC Diet (very important!) especially no chemical additives or preservatives; Drink 1.5+ gal. of pH neutral water per day (I test my water frequently! This is very, very important!!); Prelief; Heating pad; and lots of hugs from my wonderful hubby!
    Meds I have tried, but could not take: Amitriptyline & Imipramine (both made me mentally nutzoid, gave me nightmares, and neither one touched the pain); Lyrica (didn't touch the pain either, plus it made me very nauseous after eating and then it triggered my IBS); Cymbalta (didn't touch the pain either and it made me horribly depressed--all I did was sleep and cry!); Percocet (did very little for the pain and gave me headaches); Discontinued using Sodium Bicarb & Kenalog in my instills (it burned really bad!).
    Discontinued Meds: Elmiron (replaced by Heparin in instills); Bentyl (antispasmodic and anticholinergic; Zanaflex works much better for me!); Valium Suppositories
    History: IBS (spastic colon) since 1982; Partial hysterectomy 1985--completed in 2002 with extensive adhesion removal (I think this surgery was my IC trigger!); Non-painful urinary frequency since 2002; No history of frequent UTI's; HPV and abnormal paps 1/07; Sporadic PFD

I'm very diet sensitive & these are ok for me:
    basil
    oregano
    garlic
    thyme
    sage
    tarragon
    salt
    dill (small amount only due to oxalates which can trigger vulvodynia)
    cinnamon
    rosemary
    vanilla
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 60mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills every morning and night
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic to prevent UTI infections from 2x daily catheter use
    -Colace & Senna to treat chronic constipation from meds
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Thank you to both Beth and Kadi for your very good answers. I am going to start trying some spices. I really have to agree with the comment about intuition. It sounds silly, but I think that is really true. Somehow you just "know"! I wanted to try vanilla a while ago. It is good to flavor things to make them taste better (milk, french toast, etc.). But I looked at the bottles in the grocery store (even organic) and they are a HUGE percentage of alcohol!!! I don't remember the exact number, but it wasn't small (More like 30or 40 percent)!!! How can that be O.K. even if you only use a small amount? It just sounded too scary to me. I am going to be brave and try some. You need something to spice up some of the bland food we are eating! Thanks again for the thorough answers.
    Karen

I have a problem with garlic, but can use leeks for seasoning. I can also add nutmeg and a very small amount of cinnamon to the list that I can tolerate.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

Hey Karen,

The alcohol in vanilla will evaporate almost immediately when it is heated.

So, as long as you don't drink it straight out of the bottle , you will be just fine!!

Have fun! And bon appétit!!
    ~Beth
    I am not a physician, so please do not mistake any of my comments as medical advice. I am just a fellow sufferer sharing my experience with IC.

Scheduled for Radical Cystectomy & Indiana Pouch, July 16, 2009

Hit with severe pelvic pain on 6/14/08 (7:05pm): GYN, MRI, CT, laparoscopy, colonoscopy: All Clear
    DX'ed with Severe IC: Findings during cystoscopy and hydro-distention on 9/11/08 showed: scattered areas of hemorrhage and glomerulizations, w/bloody efflux. Update: Had second cysto/hydro on 5/21/09: My uro said "there were thousands of lesions" all over my bladder.
    Current Meds: Bladder Instills (self-adm 3 x per week or PRN); MS Contin; Lortab (PRN); Zanaflex; Maxide; Estradiol Patch
    Other helpful remedies: IC Diet (very important!) especially no chemical additives or preservatives; Drink 1.5+ gal. of pH neutral water per day (I test my water frequently! This is very, very important!!); Prelief; Heating pad; and lots of hugs from my wonderful hubby!
    Meds I have tried, but could not take: Amitriptyline & Imipramine (both made me mentally nutzoid, gave me nightmares, and neither one touched the pain); Lyrica (didn't touch the pain either, plus it made me very nauseous after eating and then it triggered my IBS); Cymbalta (didn't touch the pain either and it made me horribly depressed--all I did was sleep and cry!); Percocet (did very little for the pain and gave me headaches); Discontinued using Sodium Bicarb & Kenalog in my instills (it burned really bad!).
    Discontinued Meds: Elmiron (replaced by Heparin in instills); Bentyl (antispasmodic and anticholinergic; Zanaflex works much better for me!); Valium Suppositories
    History: IBS (spastic colon) since 1982; Partial hysterectomy 1985--completed in 2002 with extensive adhesion removal (I think this surgery was my IC trigger!); Non-painful urinary frequency since 2002; No history of frequent UTI's; HPV and abnormal paps 1/07; Sporadic PFD

ICN Member
    What is using dry mustard okay, but not prepared mustard? is it the vinegar additive?

Thread Information