Latest Blog Article: New IC Treatments Use Liposomes To Deliver BotoxA Into The Bladder

UTI Results = Positive.. how long till the meds work?

How long does it take for the antibiotics to kick in for a UTI and for the pain to go away? I have been on the antibiotics for about a day and a half now, and am still having really bad pain when I urinate. I know I have IC, but this pain is way worse than I have ever had. So, I am fairly certain it is due to the UTI. Can anyone tell me how long it normally takes for the antibiotics to start "working"?

Sometimes pyridium is given with the antibiotics to help with the discomfort until the antibiotics work. It's available over the counter as AZO Standard --- you might want to give it a try.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

Thanks! I will try some pyridium. I have some OTC that I bought. I'm just wondering how long it takes for the antibiotics to start working, where I will notice the pain getting better.

pyridium or AZO will definitely help, but is not a solution to a UTI, it simply numbs the bladder and urethra so it's not as painful to urinate. But if you have antibiotics, hopefully you have Septra or Bactrum, they are very helpful and usually the pain goes away in about 2-3 days, but make sure to take your whole dosage of antibiotics, or the infection may not completely clear up, and will come back again! Good luck!

If the infection is mild, I've felt better after the 2-3 days on antibiotics. I have had 2 infections though that left me in a flare even after the infection was gone (went to the doctor & got it checked out). It took, I think, a week or two to get back to my usual level.
    Of course I always wonder how much of the flare was caused by the stress of having to catch up on everything I couldn't do when I was really sick!

Hopefully yours will go away quickly!
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 60mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills every morning and night
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic to prevent UTI infections from 2x daily catheter use
    -Colace & Senna to treat chronic constipation from meds
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Quote Originally Posted by Cailen View Post
    pyridium or AZO will definitely help, but is not a solution to a UTI, it simply numbs the bladder and urethra so it's not as painful to urinate. But if you have antibiotics, hopefully you have Septra or Bactrum, they are very helpful and usually the pain goes away in about 2-3 days, but make sure to take your whole dosage of antibiotics, or the infection may not completely clear up, and will come back again! Good luck!
    Unfortunately, they gave me Amoxcicillin! I hope it works!!

Thread Information