Latest Blog Article: ICN E-Newsletter - October 24, 2014 - New IC Treatment Guidelines Released, Clinical Trial, Research & Clinic News

Diazepam suppositories anyone????

I went to see a new Dr yesterday. I LOVE my other uro but my treatment is limited with her. She only does hydro and DMSO's at her office. She can prescribe meds, obviously, but outside of Elmiron, Atarax and Elavil I am normally the one to come up with other things to try based on this website. She is always willing to write a script but I realized I need someone who I feel knows more about this disease than I do. I'm tired of being my own Dr. So, anyway, I see this new Dr. Her office isn't the cleanest or int he best neighborhood, but its ok. The reason for my switch was that she does the Post Tibial Nerve Stimulation at her office. I am starting that next week so well see where that goes. Anyway, while there I give her my history and she suggest that I start Diazapam suppositories.???
    Now this I have never heard of... She said that she does many drugs through suppository because some patients have more success with them this way. They don't pass through their system and irritate the bladder (if they are med sensative) they just go right in and do their thing. She said I would put it in like you would medicine for a yeast infection and do it at night so you can go right to bed. I'm just a little leary. Has anyone tried anything like this or other meds as suppositories???
    Chronic UTI's beginning 1993
    Urethera stretching monthly and daily Urised 1994-1997
    Suddenly Normal!! 1997-2002
    Onset of more UTI's 2002

Diagnosed with IC 2003
    Daily Bactrim 2003-2006 (with a break in meds to have another baby Bactrim made me feel practically normal most days. No Dr can figure out why...)
    Remission August 2006 - May 2007

Doomsday! May 17, 2007 - All IC symptoms back like I have never experienced before post a trip to the gyne for ultrasound - curse the tech who made me drink 40 ounces of water!!!!

May 2007 to date taking Levaquin daily. Dr still can't figure out why it helps.
    February 2008 had my first hydro and instill. Not sure if it helped enough to do it again.

October 2009 Diagnosed with PFD and Vulvodynia

Meds/Treatments tried and failed: Elmiron; Atarax; Elavil;Post Tibial Nerve Stimulation; Instillations; Valium Suppositories; Birth Control

Current Meds:
    Levaquin 500mg (trying to elimate...)
    Currently going to Physical Therapy twice a week for PFD

Everyday is a challenge. My diet is restricted to the bare minimum as every thing feels like it causes a flare. I refuse to give up! I will get my life back!

ICN Member
    There are quite a few ladies on the board who use diazepam(Valium) suppositories with much success. Hopefully they will respond to your message...or you could do a search for threads using key word valium suppositories and you should find many posts about it. The search option is up above in the dark blue ribbon that runs from left to right.
    Symptoms started Nov 2003.
    Diagnosed Nov 2004.
    In remission since Aug 2009.

Favorite quote: "Moderation kills." ~ Dr Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr.

ICN Member
    Yes I use them and there wondeful. The valum suppositores I got are small and you put them right in and they start to melt right away. Wear a panty liner. My pelvic floor actualy relaxes and I have less pain in my bladder. I have heard of some people complaing of getting a yeast infection from them, I havn't had that issue. I use sparingly. Like once a week. There realy nice to put in after sex.

ICN Member
    my new urogyn prescribed two ten mg suppositories. I use one at bedtime and feel it is absorbed. When I use the one at daytime I try to lie flat on my couch but i always lose some because inevitably I get up. Does anyone have any idea if the small amount I see on panty makes a difference?

I also have oral valium but it does not help much compared to the suppositories.

Hi, Lizzy ~ EDIT: JUST REALIZED HOW OLD THIS POST IS AND HOPE YOU'RE DOING WELL, LIZZY.
    I'm another one who has been using diazapam(valium)/cyclobenzaprine/lidocaine suppositories, as needed up to 2xDay for over a year . I was in very bad pain while my Mom was in the hospital a couple weeks ago and my husband reminded me to use the valium and it sure did help. I have PFD and have had PT internal massage as well so I'm sure the combination of everything I do, including the IC Diet is helping.

Strange thing, I'd been is a lot of pain the past 6 months or so and did PT and instills 2xWeek, and used the valium. But even though I was spending so much time at the hospital, all day into the wee hours of the morning, I actually feel so much better. I think taking the break from all the day to day, house/yard work, running around, being on my feet all day, etc has actually helped my bladder/pelvic floor tremendously. I'm amazed. My frequency has increased dramatically however, keeping me up all through the night so I'm still dragging my hind end!

I do believe the suppositories have played a large part in relieving my painful symptoms and will continue to use them but I'm now seeing how important it is to get some rest off our feet which never had ocurred to me would help.

Take care and prayers your new doc finds treatment plans to help you soon.
    Keep us posted.
    Last edited by nanawaggs; 07-28-2011 at 01:43 PM. Reason: JUST REALIZED HOW OLD THIS POST IS!
    Never heard of IC until it was suspected....Never knew so many are suffering from it.
    Praying for a cure.

11/2007 IC Symptoms began during recovery period of surgery for bladder suspension and hysterectomy, painful urgency/frequency
    8/2009 Suspected IC
    1/2010 Treatment began
    2/2010 Diagnosed PFD, began Physical Therapy
    2/2010 Surgery to remove mesh from bladder suspension
    5/2010 Surgery to repair bladder, vaginal vault and small intestine prolapse
    5/2010 IC officially diagnosed during surgery
    7/2010 Diagnosed with Candida Esophagitis, Gastritis, Diviticulosis, Gallstones
    8/2010 Surgery to remove gallbladder

Treatments:
    Heparin/Lidocaine/Bicarb/Kenalog Instills
    Macrodantin 100 mg after each instill
    Valium Vaginal Suppositories: Cyclo/diaz/lido, 10/5/62.5 mg
    Pyridium as needed up to 3xday
    Celexa 10mg daily
    Premarin Cream 3xweek
    Aloe Vera
    Prelief
    Dual Action Acid Reducer/Antacid
    Fiber supplement
    Probiotics
    Physical Therapy for PFD
    IC Diet since 8/2009
    Gabapentin, 12/2011....seems to be working great!

Medications Tried and Discontinued
    Elavil, worked up to 50mg (started 1/2011), caused retention & high blood pressure
    Urelle, caused retention
    Vesicare, caused retention

Andrea, I was told that you'll inevitably you'll see some of a suppository you use in the morning "leak out." (I used to just use a panty liner to absorb it.) Don't worry about it, unless the entire thing comes out. It sounds like you have the right idea lying down for a bit.
    ----------------------
    -Amanda
    30 years old, bladder symptoms all my life
    diagnosed with PFD and VV October 2009; IC May 2010; acid reflux due to lactose intolerance May 2012
    I also have plantar fasciitis: diagnosed August 2011 (had foot surgery 6/28/12 and 11/15/12)

Current meds:
    Cystoprotek 2 pills twice a day, Hydroxyzine 10 mg, Uribel as needed, Gabapentin 600 mg, Oral valium 2 mg twice a day, Myrbetriq 25mg, capsaicin cream (for vulva), and Prelief as needed
    Other treatments:
    IC diet, physical therapy, Traumeel injections as needed, TENS unit, heating pad, instills with sodium bicarb, lidocaine, and mucosa compositum
    Tried and didn't work:
    Pyridium, Singlair, Nortriptyline, Elmiron, lidocaine and heparin instills (worked at first, then didn't anymore), various creams, acupuncture -- not sure to what extent this did or did not help

ICN Member

Smile diazepam

I have tried the diazepam suppositories, but unfortunatley they didn't do anything for me. Thankfully because they are done via suppository, you dont get drowsy or loopy with them. I myself didn't have any side effects from them, which is not normal for me. I am quite med sensitive and tend to have horrible side effects from trying new meds. the doc started at a low dose and then had me gradually increase the dosage to see if it would work, but unfortunatley they didn't work for me. it is worth a try and I have heard of some women finding relief with them.

Thread Information