Latest Blog Article: Europeans Release Updated Chronic Pelvic Pain Guidelines
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ICN Member

Just prescribed Hydroxyzine HCL 25 mg....just had some questions

Hey guys I was just prescribed Hydroxyzine HCL 25 mg and am going to start taking it tonight....I am supposed to start with taking one a day but eventually increase it to four times a day. But after reading alot of posts if this stuff makes you as sleepy as people say...there is no way in the world i will be able to take it four times a day! I was also precribed Amitriptyline 25mg to start taking at night....Is it okay to take both meds at night before bed?...Also, is there any side effects i should be on the look out for with the Hydroxyzine? Thanks!

Hi,

I don't take both of the meds but I do take hydroxyzine and have for 5 plus years now. I found that after a few weeks my body adjusted to the med and I am able to take it during the day with no problem. It has helped a lot. I hope it helps you.
    Jolene

"Life is what happens when you are making other plans" John Lennon

IC diet cheat sheet....http://www.ic-network.com/diet/dietcheatsheet.html

Information for Patients can be found here.
    http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Jen's tips for great IC sex..http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22522&highlight=jens+tips[/url]

Newbie Angel...I will be happy to answer any questions or just listen. Email me at joleneb2@yahoo.com

"IC Angel Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you."

I would go cautiously with beginning two new meds at the same time. That's my opinion. As for the 25 mg hydroxyzine HCL, it may take a while for the drowsiness to go away, but it will. You may want to begin taking it at night (if your doctor doesn't care) so that the drowsiness occurs when you sleep.

I prefer not taking more than 25 mgs (though I have in the past), because I get a very dry mouth, too tired, and my already bad memory gets worse.

Other than that, I found Hydroxyzine HCl very helpful.
    Diagnoses: Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (2012),Interstitial Cystitis (2003), Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia (2003), GERD (since ?), IBS (since ?), Low Blood Volume (2006), Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth (2007)

Medicines:
    Claritin 10 mg/AM for MCAS and allergies
    Synthroid
    Aciphex 20 mg in PM for GERD
    Zantac 75 mg, one at night for MCAS and GERD
    Singulair 10 mg in AM, for MCAS & allergies
    Zyrtec 5 mg/PM for MCAS and allergies

Non-Medicinal Helps:
    glucosamine 500mg/MSM 500mg 2 X/day
    I avoid foods that I react to in my esophagus, bowel and bladder, and I react to many things. It is an imperfect method, but it is all that I do at the moment.

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. (Phillipians 4:13)

I started both at once - however, I take the Elavil around 8pm and the Hydroxyzine at 9pm - It will take you a couple of days to adjust - I would suggest starting over the weekend (if you have to get up early in the morning).

DX IC Aug 2007 -DX PFD July 2007
    Severe Allergies since 18 months old
    Meds:Aterax 25 mg @ night (only during allergy season - now)
    Valium 2.5 to 5 mg 2x per day for PFD
    Elavil 50 mg @ night
    Bladder Instillations (at home) 3x per week -
    My recipe is: Lidocaine, Heparin and Sodium Bicarb

Whenever you have questions about dosage, time of day to take, how a med reacts with other medications, and side effects, it is best to call your doctor. You can also call your pharmacist. You can also do an online search on the medication to get some information.

I hope you do well with the meds and that you get much needed relief from them.
    Sharon

Shopping??? Did someone mention shopping? I'll get my hat... ;-)

Where I can be found most days.

Link to the ICN Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Link to the IC Diet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

ICN Member
    I have a difficult time staying on Hydroxyzine because it makes me so sleepy and tired, even all through the next day. I found that if I took it a few days in a row, I would eventually get used to it, but when I went off it I felt less tired, so I started skipping my pills. Since my symptoms have worsened lately, I'm considering trying to get back on it.

One thing that helped was cutting the pills in half and slowly increasing my dosage that way.

I was wondering if people here think I will eventually adjust and not feel so tired?

I use the Hydroxyzine every night before bedtime and again when I wake up in the morning. Sometimes I will take one in the afternoon if I am having a bad flareup. It took about a week to get used to them. I was very sleepy the first few days, but now I have no problems with them. They have really helped me. I double up at night if I'm having lots of pain.
    As for Amitriptyline, I used it for 2 years and then it stopped working for me. I also gained about 30 lbs while I was on it. I wouldn't waste my time with that one again.
    I fly, therefore I am.

My meds:
    Hydroxyzine 25mg 1x a day
    Pyridium 200mg when ever needed
    Emtec as needed
    Cystex as needed

I have had IC since 1998.

IBS since 2012
    My website
    My IC page

Hi there! I'm not a doctor and cannot give medical advice, yet am happy to share my experience with you. Please note that we are all different and we all respond differently to different medications.

I take both Atarax (Hydroxyzine) 25mg and Elavil (Amitriptyline) 25mg and I take them both at bedtime (sometimes up to 2-3 hours before I actually go to bed). When I was first prescribed them I was also given two other medications, one of which was Elmiron. My doctor told me to start them all at the same time, yet that made me nervous as I tend to be more sensitive to medications. I decided to start them one at a time. I started one and then began to add additional meds after being on the first one a week apart. I wanted to be sure to give myself at least a week at adjust to the new medication and make sure I wasn't having side effects from any of them. I was afraid if I started them all at once and had a bad reaction, I wouldn't know which med caused the flare/bad reaction.

Luckily I did start them one at a time. I think I started Elmiron first and it caused a very bad flare - in fact I got far worse than I had ever been and was in a lot of pain. After taking it for a few days, I called my doctor and he directed me to stop it for 2-3 weeks and then told me to restart it. He said if when I restarted the really bad symptoms came back, we would know it was the Elmiron. After being off the Elmiron for a few days, I started to feel a better. After 2 weeks, when I restarted the Elmiron, the intense pain, pressure, frequency, etc. came back in the first day. I was so miserable. My doctor directed me to stop it and to never take it again.

I know your question is not about Elmiron, I'm just sharing my story of why I think it's important to start new meds one at time (again I'm not a doctor and am not giving medical advice). If I hadn't started them one at a time I would have stopped taking all of them and wouldn't feel as good as I do today.

Atarax was the next medication I added. Yes, initially it made me very drowsy and groggy when I would wake up in the morning. I realized it didn't make me tired before I went to bed, yet once I was asleep it would be very difficult to wake up and I was very, very groggy. For the most part that side effect wore off after taking it for a while. I have learned, over time, that it's best to take the medication about 10 to 12 hours before I have to be up the next morning to feel my very best. I take 25mg at bedtime only and I can't imagine taking it 4 times a day. I'm not sure how I'd be able to function - that's my honest opinion and feel very fortunate that 25 mg once a day really helps me.

I waited to add Elavil in as I thought that I wasn't really in pain and that's what the doctor said he was prescribing it for. I was also very worried about the weight gain side effect. I waited a few weeks or more before calling the doctor back and expressing my concerns. He really urged me to try it and said that they don't really know exactly why the meds prescribed to treat IC really work, but that part of the success of the medication is to take them together. I very reluctantly tried the Elavil. To my amazement - it really really helped me. I learned quickly how much pain I had been in because Elavil took it away. I was in pain for so long, I guess I had just gotten used to it and thought it was normal. Elavil really made me feel so much better.

After being on Elavil for about a year and feeling relatively normal, my doctor tried to wean me off of it, to see if I could be okay without it (as I had gained quite a bit of weight). Initially, it went okay the first few days and then as I weaned off it more, the pain came back and I was absolutely miserable. I had to go back on it and was in the worst and longest flare ever. I think it took me 3 to 4 months to get my symptoms under control again and to feel as good as I did before stopping the Elavil. I don't ever want to do that again, that's for sure.

So in answer to one of your questions, yes I take the Elavil and Atarax at the same time every night (both at 25mg). Sorry I babbled a bit in this message - I'm sure I included more than you really wanted to know. It sounds like you have some concerns that you should discuss with your doctor. Hopefully you can get some answers and that the meds will help you soon!

Take care and best wishes,
    Jennifer
    Last edited by theclownster; 03-28-2009 at 06:12 PM.

Hydroxyzine

i have taken Hydrox for 3 yrs. it REALLY helps with the auto-immune symptoms i have- hives, feverish, sinus. i feel like i am allergic to myself sometimes, and the Hydrox definitely helps. the sleepiness goes away rather quickly. i only wish it made me sleepy! ha. i take 50mg twice daily now. started with 25mg. the two meds i can't live without are Elmiron (which people give up on too quickly-it doesn't kick in for 8-12 wks!) and Hydrox. i take them religiously. i try to stay away from stronger meds if possible. i got major gastro issues from narcotics, and benzos affect my memory. i use visualization and breathing techniques and lie a certain way in the bed. it really does help. i also just began acupuncture once a week for nerve pain. i just got tired of 30 pills a day! i'm too young for that. too many chemicals can't be good for the body. i changed my entire diet. i usually have no more than a 5 pain most days now since i started this. i can deal with that
    Keep telling others about IC! Education is the way to the cure! LAUREN in MEMPHIS

ICN Member

hydroxyzine

I have taken hydroxyzine for more than 20 years. It used to make me very tired, but now if I take it at night I am ok. I first began taking it because of chronic hives. I also had sinus problems. A few years ago, I found out I was gluten-intolerant. I still take hydroxyzine, but since eliminating wheat, barley, oats and rye (and most of the things on the IC diet), I feel so much better. I can breathe again, and my digestive problems have gone away. I wonder how many of us with IC are also sensitive to gluten.

Hi I just had a question about the Hydroxyzine and how it has helped you? I was prescribed this med for the anti-anxiety effect it has.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dyno View Post
    Hi,

I don't take both of the meds but I do take hydroxyzine and have for 5 plus years now. I found that after a few weeks my body adjusted to the med and I am able to take it during the day with no problem. It has helped a lot. I hope it helps you.

Hi how has the Hydroxyzine been working for you since you started taking it? I haven't seen an update to the Feb post when you had some questions about it.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Emmy1151 View Post
    Hey guys I was just prescribed Hydroxyzine HCL 25 mg and am going to start taking it tonight....I am supposed to start with taking one a day but eventually increase it to four times a day. But after reading alot of posts if this stuff makes you as sleepy as people say...there is no way in the world i will be able to take it four times a day! I was also precribed Amitriptyline 25mg to start taking at night....Is it okay to take both meds at night before bed?...Also, is there any side effects i should be on the look out for with the Hydroxyzine? Thanks!

ICN Member
    I agree with posters above who suggest perhaps staggering the two meds rather than starting them at the same time. If it bothers you to start two meds at the same time, follow your instincts. There's no harm in taking one for a week or even two, seeing how it affects you, and then if everything goes well, add the second med. If you have side-effects you will know which med is responsible--and talk to your doctor right away.

IC seems for many of us to be a two steps forward, one step backwards kind of disease. Might as well take small careful steps and be as scientific as you can about it.

ICN Member

Hydroxazine and amtriptaline(elavil)

I was prescribed hydroxazine 1- 25 mg tablet at night to increase to 2 as tolerated. Ive been taking the second pill in the morning. Im wondering if he ment me to take 2 pills at night rather then 1 at night and 1 in morning. Ill call him tomorrow about this.
    also does the amtriptaline(Elavil) make you more hungry so you eat more there bye causing weight gain? I just got to my goal weight and dont want to gain what i lost back.
    IC ulcerative proctitus lower back pain uterine fibroid allergies

A friend is a person who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

There are no rules. That is how art is born, how breakthroughs happen. Go against the rules or ignore the rules. That is what invention is about. Helen Frankenthaler
    :woohoo:

ICN Member

Liquid Atarax

Recently my dermatologist prescribed Atarax/Hydroxyzine for me. I explained to him that I don't tolerate it well- it makes me really groggy and I have a hard time getting used to it. He prescribed it in liquid form so I could gradually step up my doses easier, and also it works more quickly at night. You might ask your doctor if it's an option. It seems to work well for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information