Latest Blog Article: Creating an IC Friendly Thanksgiving
Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Cost of Elmiron?

Today I went to refill my prescription for Elmiron. I knew that under my other insurance that I was paying around $60 for it but today was different. When I gave the empty bottle to the pharmacist she looked up the med and said," My Lamb"! She asked me what did I pay for the Elmiron under my old insurance and I told her around $60 bucks. She said it's way more than that! She said hold on to your hat, it's $346!!!!! I told her that I have to have it and called my husband. He said, buy it because you have to have it and I did! What if I didn't have the money to buy it? I don't understand why meds have to cost so much! My heart goes out to everyone that can't afford to purchase their meds! A year or two ago that was me, I know that I couldn't afford to pay this amount.

Teela
    DX'd with IC 5/08
    other Dx's~SVT: had Catheter
    Catheter Ablation Aug 19,2010
    Migraines, PFD, Hypertension,
    Prolapsed Pelvic
    Organs and Degenerative Disc
    Disease, Kidney stones, Insomnia
    Two bulging discs w/tears and osteo
    arthritis in multiple joints in the spine

Current Meds:Elmiron 400 mg per day
    Benicar Hct 40-25mg for Hypertension
    Norvasc 2.5
    Vicoden as needed for pain
    Cymbalta 30 mg
    Prelief
    CystaQ
    Prosed
    Lidoderm Patch

Psalm 121
    I will lift up my eyes to the hills from whence comes my help? My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth.

"Be Kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

Did your insurance coverage change Jan 1? If not, it might be wise to ring your carrier and inquire as to why such a sudden drastic difference.

Wishing you well....
    Diana
    Last edited by dg2901; 01-02-2009 at 08:53 PM. Reason: screwed up

ICN Member
    Yes, as dg suggested call your insurance ASAP. Might not get the answers you need over the weekend but at least give it a try, but for sure by Monday things should be running as usual after the extended holiday weekend. $346 is regular retail price, however might be at least somewhat less (like $50 or so) at Walmart or whatever chain pharmacy you have. But still, even that is expensive!
    Another very important thing to make those high tier, longterm meds more affordable is to see if your insurance has mail order prescription program. When I was taking Elmiron it would cost me approximately $60/month for 90 capsules @ Walmart....but with my insurance mail Rx program I got three months worth for $60!!!!!! Other's ins mail Rx programs make it even cheaper, just depends on the ins co.
    For me it was very easy to arrange and I got 3 months of Elmiron within a week of submitting (online) my ins info and also my uro faxing in the Rx. Was 4 yrs ago so the details of it all are kinda foggy right now, but I do remember being pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to set up and how fast I got the meds in the mail, AND how cheap it was.
    Symptoms started Nov 2003.
    Diagnosed Nov 2004.
    In remission since Aug 2009.

Favorite quote: "Moderation kills." ~ Dr Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by dg2901 View Post
    Did your insurance coverage change Jan 1? If not, it might be wise to ring your carrier and inquire as to why such a sudden drastic difference.

Wishing you well....
    Diana
    Hi Diana,
    we changed insurance companies and now my deductible is $3000! I called my husband to tell him how much my meds cost with the new insurance and he is changing back to the company we used to have(lower deductible). I don't know how much longer I can afford to buy it at that rate!

Best Wishes,
    Teela
    DX'd with IC 5/08
    Prolapsed Pelvic

Norvasc 2.5
    Cymbalta 30 mg
    Prelief
    CystaQ
    Prosed
    Lidoderm Patch

Psalm 121
    I will lift up my eyes to the hills from whence comes my help? My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth.

"Be Kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

Hi Bri!
    I love the ideal of getting the mail order prescription! I never thought of that. I get my RX at Meijers but wouldn't mind getting it in the mail. Thank you so much for suggesting this. I just don't know how much longer I can afford getting Elmiron at $346 for one month supply!

Best Wishes,
    Teela
    DX'd with IC 5/08
    Prolapsed Pelvic

Norvasc 2.5
    Cymbalta 30 mg
    Prelief
    CystaQ
    Prosed
    Lidoderm Patch

Psalm 121

i am in the same boat as you. i have a very high deductible for scripts & to fill my Elmiron for 1 month sets me back $360!!!! supposedly that is with an "insurance" discount..but i think not. i really truly cannot afford it & it just goes on my credit card.

i am in the process of applying for the patient assist. program for elmiron & PRAY that i get it!!!
    Karen
    Currently Taking:
    20 mg Celexa
    fentanyl patch 12.5 mcg chgd every 3 days
    morphine IR 15 MG, up to 3x daily
    Xanax 1mg as needed (not taken daily)
    900 MG Oxycarbizine (mood disorder)
    300 MG Welbutrin
    Tizanidine 4 mg up to 20 mg daily as need
    Prevacid 30 mg
    Ambien as needed

my heating pad is my best friend, use daily on my lower back & pelvic area
    blessed to be able to receive massage & Amma , along with Avazzia therapy 3x weekly

Been diagnosed for 10 years now, consider myself pretty well versed in this disease & would love to help out with new IC sisters or brothers, feel free to message me.

i'm sorry you guys are paying so much for your elmiron...i thought mine was high!!! don't get your hopes up with the assistance program, i called them and they said if you have any insurance you won't qualify, regardless, no exceptions! i'm still pretty angry about it! i pay A LOT for insurance and just because i have it, doesn't mean i can afford your 500 dollar a month medicine our insure just started making us do the mail order prescriptions and it supposed to be lots cheaper...maybe something to look into. good luck!!!!!
    Current: -pelvic floor therapy, -weekly uracyst instills

Hi karen!
    Isn't the price of Elmiron outrageous? I am so floored that it cost this much! I told the pharmacist that I have to have this med and she looked at me with a sad look on her face! I really hope you can get on the patient assistance program! I really don't think I would qualify for this program especially if it's income based. My issue is that my husband makes a lot of money, it's just not consistant(we get large sums or nothing for periods of time). If we are in a long period in which he doesn't make money then I have to wait to get my refills(sighing). I'm in a flare now because I just got the money to get my script filled(went two months without Elmiron).

Anyway, I hope to drop this insurance and get our old insurance back where I'm only paying $60 for Elmiron. Let me know what happens with the program...ok.

Best wishes,
    Aleet7
    DX'd with IC 5/08
    Prolapsed Pelvic

Norvasc 2.5
    Cymbalta 30 mg
    Prelief
    CystaQ
    Prosed
    Lidoderm Patch

Psalm 121

I'm hearing more about mail order prescriptions and I'm all over it! Bri suggested it to me yesterday and I'm trying to find out how to start using it.

That's horrible that they won't let anyone with insurance get on the program! I know some people that have insurance but can't afford the expensive meds. I was too embarrassed to tell my doc that I went two months without Elmiron because of the price!

Best Wishes,
    Aleet7
    DX'd with IC 5/08
    Prolapsed Pelvic

Norvasc 2.5
    Cymbalta 30 mg
    Prelief
    CystaQ
    Prosed
    Lidoderm Patch

Psalm 121

ICN Member

Cheaper Elmiron

Hi everyone,
    I just want to mention that I buy my elmiron from Jan Drugs, a Canadian drug company. My private insurance has no prescription benefits, so I needed to find an alternative. I researched Jan Drugs and was pleased with the results, so I have been buying my elmiron from them for 6 months or so. I think I pay $500 or so for a 3 month supply. They have great customer service too.
    Claire

ICN Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aleet7 View Post
    I'm hearing more about mail order prescriptions and I'm all over it! Bri suggested it to me yesterday and I'm trying to find out how to start using it.

That's horrible that they won't let anyone with insurance get on the program! I know some people that have insurance but can't afford the expensive meds. I was too embarrassed to tell my doc that I went two months without Elmiron because of the price!

Best Wishes,
    Aleet7
    aleet,
    When I was going the mail order route, it was through my insurance's Rx program and some mail order company they had contracted with to do that. Even if YOUR insurance/Rx program doesn't offer this (but please check with them first) then I THINK maybe some of the large chains like Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, RITE-AID, MIGHT have their own 3 month supply at a time Rx programs. I do not believe the pharmacy sponsored ones are mail order, but could make things at least bit cheaper. I have to go to Walmart tomorrow to pick up some Rxs so I will ask the pharmacist about their 3 month supply program, what meds it can be used for, and what the savings is like. I don't take Elmiron but will ask about if it is one of the meds covered by the 3month supply program that Walmart I believe has.
    Symptoms started Nov 2003.
    Diagnosed Nov 2004.
    In remission since Aug 2009.

Favorite quote: "Moderation kills." ~ Dr Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr.

I am so sorry you guys are paying so muc. I have NYS insurance through my husband so it is not bad. I wish you guys all the best, I think there are non profit groups out there that will help with that too
    [I]Dx: 10/08

Meds
    Elmiron 3 X a day
    Effexor XR 75 mg 1 x a day
    Vesicare 5mg 1 x a day
    Nortriptypline 10mg 3 x a day
    Gabapentin 300 mg 1-2 x a day

Quote Originally Posted by rshawhan View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I just want to mention that I buy my elmiron from Jan Drugs, a Canadian drug company. My private insurance has no prescription benefits, so I needed to find an alternative. I researched Jan Drugs and was pleased with the results, so I have been buying my elmiron from them for 6 months or so. I think I pay $500 or so for a 3 month supply. They have great customer service too.
    Claire
    Claire,
    thanks for this info! Paying $500 for 3 months would save me a lot of money!

Best Wishes,
    Aleet7
    DX'd with IC 5/08
    Prolapsed Pelvic

Norvasc 2.5
    Cymbalta 30 mg
    Prelief
    CystaQ
    Prosed
    Lidoderm Patch

Psalm 121

Bri,
    please let me know if Elmiron is on their(Walmart's) 3 month program list. That would be a big help to me!

Thanks,
    Teela
    DX'd with IC 5/08
    Prolapsed Pelvic

Norvasc 2.5
    Cymbalta 30 mg
    Prelief
    CystaQ
    Prosed
    Lidoderm Patch

Psalm 121

Wink

Aleet7: How much Elmiron do you take per day? There is another way around it...say you take 1 capsule 3 times/day=3 capsules per day.

Have the uro write it for 3 capsules 3 times/day=9capsules a day.

You pay the same price whether its 90 in the bottle or 270...either way the pharmacy sees it as a one month supply. Do you see what I'm getting at

And then of course going thru mail order could help even more...
    Somewhere there's a reason /Why things go like they do /Somewhere there's a reason /Why some things just fall through /We don't always see them /For what they really are /But I know there's a reason /Just can't see it from this far /Maybe I don't like it, /But I have no choice /I know that somewhere, /Someone hears my voice / I thought I knew it all /I thought I had it made /How could it end this way? /I thought I knew Somewhere there's a reason /Why things don't go my way /Somewhere there's a reason /That I cannot explain /Just like the change of season, /Just may not be my turn /But I know there's a reason, /The lesson's mine to learn

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information