Latest Blog Article: Interstitial cystitis is more of an injury to the bladder
    ICN Member

How to find a good Urologist?...

I was just wondering how everyone picks a good Uro, I havn't seen one yet and was diagnosed by my gyno who has since moved some Im kind of up a creek without a paddle. I've been managing just fine on my own ( just a few flares, stick to the diet and elmiron x3 daily) but its been 8 months and I know I'll need to see someone soon.
    So how do you get good referalls does anyone have some ideas? Im in Northern CA but willing to drive any where for a good quality Urologist who knows whats going on.
    Thanks
    Heidi

Check out this site -- it can help you find a Uro who is knowledgeable about IC. I'm not sure where you are in Northern CA, but there are definitely some good choices at Stanford (where I go) and USF. Here's the link --

http://www.ic-network.com/md/

Good luck!

When I needed to be referred to a urologist I told my OB-GYN that I was willing to travel - I just wanted someone very good. Even if that meant I had to cover some distance.

In other situations I have asked a trusted doctor who he would send his wife or child to if they had bladder problems.

I know that isn't foolproof, but still a good idea.
    Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

My IC story: http://www.ic-network.com/patientstories/kim.html It's very outdated now. I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Thread Information