Latest Blog Article: Special Orange County IC Support Group Event - Sept 21, 2014
    ICN Member

natural muscle relaxer for PFD?

Has anyone that has PFD along with their IC had any experience with a natural muscle relaxer.

Any ideas for helping the pelvic muscles relax (orally). I need something by next Tuesday.
    Last edited by ICNDonna; 11-29-2008 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Removed advertising site.

Interesting....2 of the ingredients are valerian root and passion flower...those 2 ingredients re also ingredients of Cysta Q.
    Cysta Q deosn't specify the amount of ingredint per casule.
    The best muscle relaxers for PFD are diazepan and flexeril. I cn't take flexeril because it is an anticlhorinergic (and they dry my eyes). I take diazepan and it helps with the muscles as well as with the anxiety.

I never realized that thise ingredients in Cysta Q are natural muscle relaxers but a gues they are.
    I don't know about the brand you are posting but it tell you the amounts and if you don't fee confortable wiht the brand, you could explore taking the ingredients separately.
    Good luck and let us know how that goes.
    Laser cervical surgery after abnormal pap (moderate dysplasia) in 3/2004
    UTIs since mid 2004
    Recurrent yeast infections since mid 2005
    IC dx 3/2006
    V V dx 12/2006
    Other conditions: IBS, allergies, dry eyes.

Current IC medications:
    Elavil (since 12/06) 10 mg;
    Cysta Q (since 5/07)
    Rephresh acid jel every 3 days
    D-mannose, fish oil, Calcium Citrate, Multivitamins & garlic pills (sometimes)
    Probiotics Femdophilus or other brands
    Gy-Na-Tren for yeast infections (started using it as needed since 2010)
    Other Rx:Omeprazole 20mg; benadryl as needed, Restasis

Past Meds and why I stopped them:
    Elmiron: March to September 2006: headaches
    Lyrica:2 weeks in 2006: headaches
    Cystoprotek: from Jan to April 2007: nausea

Femcon Fe (2/07 to 10/07):caused spotting/bleeding
    BCP:Loestrin (since Ocotber 2007) to stop spotting for 2 months. V V worse. Stopped the pill in Nov 07.

"Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it"

I have heard/read that Valerian root has relaxing properties...as a muscle relaxer I don't know how well it would work or what kind of muscle it works on, but I have some friends who have used it to help them relax so they can sleep. I have taken it a few times but didn't notice any effect one way or another. Side effects for me: none.
    Prescription muscle relaxers are a whole nother animal....they can be extremely sedating....have had them knock me out for up to 14 hrs even on a low dose. Flexeril that Angeles mentioned and also Zanaflex are two that hit me particularly hard. I prefer not to take them....and I really don't know if they are working b/c I am usually knocked out after I take them. Baclofen is another Rx muscle relaxer that I tried, and it did not seem to be as sedating from what I can remember, but it didn't work for my symptoms. Low dose diazepam like Angeles also mentioned I much prefer...diazepam is valium and usually a low dose is considered 2-5 mg. At that dose I have never had the knock me out side effects, really felt nothing at all except good relief for my pelvic floor spasms and vaginal spasms. I took the 2 mg dose 3 x day with much success very quickly, and then only as needed...for a few months. Never had any side effects from that. I think you mentioned Tangerine that you have a trip or vacation coming up? I know you asked about natural/alternative muscle relaxers... possibly valerian root could help, I just don't know how well, but most definitely without the extreme initial side effects that rx MRs can cause for MANY people. If you do get a prescription muscle relaxer, I would use it with extreme caution, especially if you are not at home to stay in bed to see how it effects you, or have obligations or things you want to do and see if you are going on a trip. I say this b/c MRs do tend to initially be extremely sedating for many people, for me moreso than even sleeping pills. If you do go the rx route, then if it were me, low dose valium is much more tolerable. It also depends on what kind of muscles need relaxing....valium seems to be good for say muscluar pain in lower back or muscle spasms in the pelvic floor/vagina. If it is smooth muscle, like bladder spasms, that you want relief for...Pyridium, Pyridium Plus, Urelle, or Prosed DS might be more the way to go and easier to get an Rx for.....I know you were looking for meds that you could take longer term....if this is the case then URelle or Prosed DS would be much better choices than Pyridium or Pyridium Plus, as the Pyridiums are intended more for short term, emergency use while Urelle and Prosed DS I have read are safer or long term use. Also for bladder spasm relief, Hycosamine, an ingredient I believe that is in Urelle and Prosed DS, can be Rxd by itself and many report excellent symptom relief w/out side effects for bladder spasms with just that.
    Anyway, just sharing my experiences....best to talk to your dr about what would be the best route to go...alll natural or prescription. And if you do go the Rx route, PLEASE keep in mind what I said about the extremely sedatin effects that muscle relaxers can cause. If it is for PFD you need relief for, my choice personally is 2mg valium. Whether your dr will rx that to you is another issue, also whether or not it would work for you is also very indiviual.
    Best wishes,Bri

One important thing to remember is that "natural" doesn't necessarily mean "safe." Before you embark on taking over the counter or herbal remedies, it's important to talk with your medical professional --- especially if you are taking any prescription medications.

Sending healing thoughts,
    Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

ICN Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Briza View Post
    I have heard/read that Valerian root has relaxing properties...as a muscle relaxer I don't know how well it would work or what kind of muscle it works on, but I have some friends who have used it to help them relax so they can sleep. I have taken it a few times but didn't notice any effect one way or another. Side effects for me: none.
    Prescription muscle relaxers are a whole nother animal....they can be extremely sedating....have had them knock me out for up to 14 hrs even on a low dose. Flexeril that Angeles mentioned and also Zanaflex are two that hit me particularly hard. I prefer not to take them....and I really don't know if they are working b/c I am usually knocked out after I take them. Baclofen is another Rx muscle relaxer that I tried, and it did not seem to be as sedating from what I can remember, but it didn't work for my symptoms. Low dose diazepam like Angeles also mentioned I much prefer...diazepam is valium and usually a low dose is considered 2-5 mg. At that dose I have never had the knock me out side effects, really felt nothing at all except good relief for my pelvic floor spasms and vaginal spasms. I took the 2 mg dose 3 x day with much success very quickly, and then only as needed...for a few months. Never had any side effects from that. I think you mentioned Tangerine that you have a trip or vacation coming up? I know you asked about natural/alternative muscle relaxers... possibly valerian root could help, I just don't know how well, but most definitely without the extreme initial side effects that rx MRs can cause for MANY people. If you do get a prescription muscle relaxer, I would use it with extreme caution, especially if you are not at home to stay in bed to see how it effects you, or have obligations or things you want to do and see if you are going on a trip. I say this b/c MRs do tend to initially be extremely sedating for many people, for me moreso than even sleeping pills. If you do go the rx route, then if it were me, low dose valium is much more tolerable. It also depends on what kind of muscles need relaxing....valium seems to be good for say muscluar pain in lower back or muscle spasms in the pelvic floor/vagina. If it is smooth muscle, like bladder spasms, that you want relief for...Pyridium, Pyridium Plus, Urelle, or Prosed DS might be more the way to go and easier to get an Rx for.....I know you were looking for meds that you could take longer term....if this is the case then URelle or Prosed DS would be much better choices than Pyridium or Pyridium Plus, as the Pyridiums are intended more for short term, emergency use while Urelle and Prosed DS I have read are safer or long term use. Also for bladder spasm relief, Hycosamine, an ingredient I believe that is in Urelle and Prosed DS, can be Rxd by itself and many report excellent symptom relief w/out side effects for bladder spasms with just that.
    Anyway, just sharing my experiences....best to talk to your dr about what would be the best route to go...alll natural or prescription. And if you do go the Rx route, PLEASE keep in mind what I said about the extremely sedatin effects that muscle relaxers can cause. If it is for PFD you need relief for, my choice personally is 2mg valium. Whether your dr will rx that to you is another issue, also whether or not it would work for you is also very indiviual.
    Best wishes,Bri
    Thank you this e-mail is a keeper for when I get back and think about what I am going to ask my Dr. for. I definately cannot risk being put out by strong drugs. I might call him tomorrow though just to see if he can prescribed me some valium until I get to my new Dr. Luckily the PFD muscle pain has decreased over the last 2 days pretty good. It must have been just too much going on and thinking about everything, my mom coming out, preparing TG dinner then another party on Saturday and getting excited about my vacation. I feel alot better. I went to yoga twice last week and did some of that deep breathing when I was feeling real bad. I'm trying to catch myself more when I feel my body tensing up. I'm pretty prepared for my vacation. I do have some 200mg pyrdium, prelief, baking soda, antibiotics, aleve, all my instill stuff and the prescriptions to go along with it. I've never had to pack so much meds in my life

Anyway thank you again.

Since you also mentioned Yoga. Yoga and meditation, even if you can't do all the sets or poses, can help a great deal in relaxing your muscles.....
    Of course there are many yoga moves I can't do but there are many that I can n yes it helps in relaxing the body, hence the Pelvic floor muscles by default.

I know that yoga + valium (sounds like a crazy combo -lol) can be good for pelvic floor dysfunction.
    Physical therapy as well, only that it is quite expensive for me plus I have to skip works hours to go to the appointments, while I can do yoga at home.
    Laser cervical surgery after abnormal pap (moderate dysplasia) in 3/2004
    UTIs since mid 2004
    Recurrent yeast infections since mid 2005
    IC dx 3/2006
    V V dx 12/2006
    Other conditions: IBS, allergies, dry eyes.

Current IC medications:
    Elavil (since 12/06) 10 mg;
    Cysta Q (since 5/07)
    Rephresh acid jel every 3 days
    D-mannose, fish oil, Calcium Citrate, Multivitamins & garlic pills (sometimes)
    Probiotics Femdophilus or other brands
    Gy-Na-Tren for yeast infections (started using it as needed since 2010)
    Other Rx:Omeprazole 20mg; benadryl as needed, Restasis

Past Meds and why I stopped them:
    Elmiron: March to September 2006: headaches
    Lyrica:2 weeks in 2006: headaches
    Cystoprotek: from Jan to April 2007: nausea

Femcon Fe (2/07 to 10/07):caused spotting/bleeding
    BCP:Loestrin (since Ocotber 2007) to stop spotting for 2 months. V V worse. Stopped the pill in Nov 07.

"Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it"

Thread Information