Latest Blog Article: ICN E-Newsletter - October 24, 2014 - New IC Treatment Guidelines Released, Clinical Trial, Research & Clinic News

Gabapentin side effects?

Has anyone gained weight from Gabapentin aka neurontin?? Also has it been working well and how long did it take to kick in?

Hi there,
    I've just PM'ed you I didn't say about any weight gain, but just to say I have gained about 4 pounds. I've not put on any excessive weight. I'd say if I'm gonna put on a few pounds but be in less pain, I'm cool with that!!!
    Hope you're OK?

ICN Member
    I was on it for 6 months, not for IC but for Trigeminal Neuralgia. I was also on a pretty high dose 1200mg 3x a day. The big one for me was narcolepsy. I fell asleep behind the wheel while driving one day and almost drove my car off a bridge. But that was at this very high dose. Before that while they were increasing it I had problems with memory loss, I would start projects or have conversations with people and not remember them. This doesn't happen to everyone on this medication and if it does to you they can always switch you to Lyrica like they did for me and it may work alot better.

Christine

I've been on neurontin for 6 years now... I have been on 1200mg 3x a day, 300mg 3x a day and now 900mg 3x day... I swell and retain fluids badly, sometimes my hands and feet are unrecognizable but I would rather have that side effect than the initial problem which led me to the neurontin. Not my IC, but muscle myopathy and neuropathy. I assume my recent weight gain is due to my inability to really participate in normal day to day activities.
    IC dx 2003, IBS dx 2002, VV dx 2008, muscle myopathy and neuropathy dx 1997, diabetes dx 2006, herniated disc L5-S1 and DDD

Current Medications:
    Mirapex, Neurontin, Zanaflex, Detrol, Flomax, Macrobid, Atarax, and instillations.

Past Medications:
    Way too many to mention

Me..... my sweet son..... and me again

ICN Member
    its hard to say with me, because i take it sporadically, and a small dose (400 mg, once or twice). So as far as weight, i dont know. Antidpressents make me gain badly however.

Gabapentin does make me a little dizzy though, and i think it affects my memory
    diagnosed IC Jan 2007 (though i feel i've had it mildly for years)
    frequent UTIs
    No frequency, just urgency and pain!

tramadol 50mg twice a day. this stuff works good for nerve pain!!!! (update, i'm down to mostly one pill a day now!)

Physical Therapy. if you have pelvic nerve pain or muscle pain, its worth a try. it helped me with the constant burning.

TENS may help a little

Cystoprotek might be helping as well. i'm getting better as time goes on and this could be why.

fish oil, herbal teas, skullcap (might try passionflower for nerves) I'm not very diet sensitive.

Went OFF elavil and nortryptiline (worked wonders, but didnt like the weight gain)

ICN Member
    I took 1 pill and had a really bad reaction. It knocked me out for over a day. I couldn't move. I am really sens. to meds tho which is a HUGE problem with my VV. Everything I try is too strong for me to do my day to day activities

ICN Member
    I have taken HUGE doses of Gabapentin (was on 3600mg at one point for Trigeminal Neuralgia )and have just beenput back on it at 1200mg daily now... yes it put a coiple of pounds on because I could eat everything I'm so hungry..but it helps the pain so much I'll take it.

Worst effects for me are the 'where did I leave my brain' problems.. and being unsteady on my feet.
    I'll take that over pain anyday.. Gabapentin is a very effective med
    Jules

300mg 3 times daily

I have been taking gabapentin for about 2 years now, specifically for my chronic pelvic pain, which was finally diagnosed as ic last July. I have not had a problem with weight gain. My doctor had me start on a couple mg the first day and gradually increase the dosage over a week or two.

My biggest problem was dry mouth, but that only lasted a couple of weeks. I also feel like mentally I have a bit of a fog, but I dealt with that on and off before even starting on the gabapentin. It has really helped me be more comfortable. For me this dosage doesn't completely take away my symptoms, and my doctor says I could double the dosage easily without problems, but I want to avoid being on pharmaceuticals as much as I can while still functioning.
    Elinor

I would have lost heart, unless I had believed
    That I would see the goodness of the Lord
    In the land of the living.
    Wait on the Lord;
    Be of good courage,
    And He shall strengthen your heart;
    Wait, I say, on the Lord!
    ***Psalm 27:13-14***

http://facinglif.blogspot.com/

ICN Member

Question Weight gain?!? Freaked out

I've been on Gabapentin for about 5 months, but I'll be honest and say that I've not been taking it steadily, I'm horrible about that.

I exercise almost every day and stick to a strict diet, but, I still put on weight with Gabapentin. It's not a huge amount right now, but I think that's because I've not taken it steadily all of this time.

I am on 4 x 300mg a day. 3 seems to bring the pain back slightly, 4 I don't feel a darn thing and it's like I never had IC.

What does anyone recommend about the weight gain? I put on 60lbs with Paxil 3 years ago and lost all of it so you can probably imagine how fearful I am of putting on weight again.

Please help!

Wendy

ICN Member

Exclamation Weight gain?!? Freaked out

I just made an appointment to go and have an RMR test which is basically a metabolism test.

I breath into a machine for 10 - 20 minutes and at the end it tells how many calories the body needs to sustain itself.

I am really curious to do this to find out is the weight gain due to metabolism changes. If this comes back normal, the only thing I can think of is the medicines mess with our insulin, body chemicals and tells the body to store fat.

Should be very interesting.

If anyone else wants to do this you can google the test. Most good gyms have it and I found the test at the local YMCA and I'm going Sunday morning.

Thank you,

Wendy

I gained 6 pounds on gabapentin! I retained water pretty bad while on it. I stopped taking it because of the water retention and weight gain(this happened while on a low dose of the med). I also took it when I had Trigeminal Neuralgia in large doses and it caused dizziness.

Good Luck!
    DX'd with IC 5/08
    other Dx's~SVT: had Catheter
    Catheter Ablation Aug 19,2010
    Migraines, PFD, Hypertension,
    Prolapsed Pelvic
    Organs and Degenerative Disc
    Disease, Kidney stones, Insomnia
    Two bulging discs w/tears and osteo
    arthritis in multiple joints in the spine

Current Meds:Elmiron 400 mg per day
    Benicar Hct 40-25mg for Hypertension
    Norvasc 2.5
    Vicoden as needed for pain
    Cymbalta 30 mg
    Prelief
    CystaQ
    Prosed
    Lidoderm Patch

Psalm 121
    I will lift up my eyes to the hills from whence comes my help? My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth.

"Be Kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

ICN Member

Angry Doctor could care less about weight gain

So I went to my doctor today to see if I can change from Gabapentin to Gabtril or Topamax as I'm gaining weight.

She was so rude to me. She said "you have no pain with Gabapentin, that is the only goal here, sometimes we just have to live with the side effects" I could have punched her in the face.

After arguing she gave me a Topamax script. Then I get to the Kaiser pharmacy and they tell me it's no longer on the formulary (as of January 1) and it needs to go through all the people upstairs to see if it's deemed necessary.

SO ANGRY!

Wendy

Wendy,
    I'm sorry you had to go through that! My doc was cool with me telling her that I was retaining water with the Gabapentin.
    I'm surprised that your doc( a woman) would be insensitive about the weight gain! My doc figured that the water retention was causing weight gain and causing my bp to be elevated so she told me to stop taking it.
    I'm also sorry that you're having trouble getting the Topamax! Wow..

Aleet7
    DX'd with IC 5/08
    other Dx's~SVT: had Catheter
    Catheter Ablation Aug 19,2010
    Migraines, PFD, Hypertension,
    Prolapsed Pelvic
    Organs and Degenerative Disc
    Disease, Kidney stones, Insomnia
    Two bulging discs w/tears and osteo
    arthritis in multiple joints in the spine

Current Meds:Elmiron 400 mg per day
    Benicar Hct 40-25mg for Hypertension
    Norvasc 2.5
    Vicoden as needed for pain
    Cymbalta 30 mg
    Prelief
    CystaQ
    Prosed
    Lidoderm Patch

Psalm 121
    I will lift up my eyes to the hills from whence comes my help? My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth.

"Be Kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

I know unwanted weight gain is a troubling side effect for many who take antidepressant medicines as well as anticonvulsant medicines. You mention that while taking the medicine it is like you don't have IC. I would trade some weight gain to not have IC symptoms. I wouldn't trade 60 pounds, but 10-20 pounds to not feel bad would be worth it. All medicines have side effects and the affects of the medicine must be weighed against the side effects. I know weight gain is a difficult side effect to cope with, but so is being in pain. It is your decision but I would suggest really thinking about stopping a medicine that is helping so much over a little extra weight. Weight can be gained and lost, but it is difficult to find medicines that actually work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jereme View Post
    I know unwanted weight gain is a troubling side effect for many who take antidepressant medicines as well as anticonvulsant medicines. You mention that while taking the medicine it is like you don't have IC. I would trade some weight gain to not have IC symptoms. I wouldn't trade 60 pounds, but 10-20 pounds to not feel bad would be worth it. All medicines have side effects and the affects of the medicine must be weighed against the side effects. I know weight gain is a difficult side effect to cope with, but so is being in pain. It is your decision but I would suggest really thinking about stopping a medicine that is helping so much over a little extra weight. Weight can be gained and lost, but it is difficult to find medicines that actually work.
    I couldn't agree with you more. I wish I could have said it the way you just did. I've gained some with Lyrica, about 13 lbs on average since starting it over a year ago or so. I'll live with that rather than be in the h*llish pain I was in before taking it. It really helps me a lot. You do have to weigh the good with the bad and make your decision...but for me, 13 lbs in a year is worth not living in that awful pain I was in before. Nothing has taken all my pain away, so for that to happen is truly a miracle that I would not take for granted!

Sandy
    *IC-- Summer 2004; PFD--October 2005
    *Fibro--Fall 2000; CFS-- Fall 2000
    *MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy--adenomyosis--9\08

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Thread Information